You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-27 00:00:24

Gamonics
Website

automount of SD card & USB external HDD with strange KDE pop up msg

Today I reviewed lots of threads posted over the last year and some bug reports too about this issue, but it's happening for me too. Both SD card and USB external HDD have autodetectable filesystems on them because I can mount them by hand with "mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt" and "mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt". But it would be nice if I didn't have to do that.

Although I didn't notice which explicit install that I did pulled them in as dependencies, I do have udisk2 and polkit installed. Also installed udiskie as a wrapper. I've been mounting these volumes by hand before now because I feel like I'm still learning the ropes of The Arch Way and guessed (apparently incorrectly) that mounting volumes by hand was just part of "The Arch Way". But based on some threads here and some bug reports, I guess this used to work in Arch but has been causing some problems for some people lately when they upgrade. I just installed Arch for the first time (using the 2015.02.01 iso image), so I don't have any background to go on.

So what is The Arch Way for automounting external drives? I've skimmed the wiki article for this and because "Development of udisks has ceased in favor of udisks2." it seems that udisks2 is preferred. But it got installed and the daemon is running for me. The user is in the wheel group. dbus is running (though like one person who filed a bug, I too have several instances of dbus in my ps -aux output and I'm not sure if that is as it should be or not). I've done no special configuration ("not wittingly" anyway; I promise, my name is not James Clapper) that I think would have affected this.

So for a newb with no special preference, how should automounting be configured in a new Arch system? In other words, what should be my first steps in trying to solve this problem for myself? I know there are lots of different ways to skin this cat, but I'd prefer the simplest and most elegant solution that does not depend on KDE or GNOME or other unnecessary tools. I've just (with this Arch system I just installed) begun using i3wm and I think I'll be sticking with it. That said, however, it's clear that I inadvertently/unwittingly managed to get some elements of KDE into memory as the following http://gamonics.org/img/2015-02-26-1731 … _scrot.png shows. This popped up both times, when I plugged in my SD card and when I plugged in my USB drive. Any thoughts on what's going on here? I did install okular explicitly because I think it's one of the best PDF viewers, but I don't understand why KDE is reporting anything to me when I'm running i3 and insert an SD card or a USB disk.

And in the terminal, I get this output (apparently from udiskie):

[root@archippocrates archie]# Failed to show notification: The connection is closed
not adding /org/freedesktop/UDisks/devices/mmcblk0: unhandled device
mounted /org/freedesktop/UDisks/devices/mmcblk0p1 on /media/3532-3338
Failed to show notification: The connection is closed

Although the volume does get mounted automatically.

Thanks for any thoughts.

-- mod edit: read the Forum Etiquette and only post thumbnails http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/For … s_and_Code [jwr] --

Last edited by Gamonics (2015-02-27 00:25:01)

#2 2015-02-27 05:08:10

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

Re: automount of SD card & USB external HDD with strange KDE pop up msg

I personally can't answer the question of "simplest and most elegant" way of mounting devices. It all depends on what you want. If you expect more exotic functionality, say correct unmounting of devices if they were disconnected during a sleep cycle, there's probably no way around udisks2. For that you get a complex piece of software prone to... unexpected behaviour. Mind you some of it is related to front-ends like GVFS.

As to your KDE issues, last I checked mount handling was disabled by default there, but you can control it manually (see man kcmshell4). Though I haven't followed up on KDE 5 developments. If going with udisks2, I'd recommend using devmon from the udevil package as a front-end (more details on the wiki udisks page).

PS: multiple dbus instances are expected, check the user names and specified arguments in the ps output.

edit: grammar. :X

Last edited by Alad (2015-02-27 17:03:31)

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#3 2015-02-27 06:21:52

ewaller
Administrator

Alad wrote:

multiple dbus instances is expected

are.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2015-02-27 16:08:21

cirrus
Website

You could try installing spacefm filemanager , it has worked for me in the past, way before i learned how to automount using fstab ( fstab only for devices that dont get hotswapped) if your usb & sd card are always plugged into your arch machine only then consider using fstab for automounting those devices

#5 2015-02-27 20:07:09

Gamonics
Website

Thanks, cirrus. I'll have a look at spacefm and I'll read more about fstab for automounting too.

Board footer