You are not logged in.

#1 2003-01-14 15:10:37

dunbar

Automatic system setup is not listening to me

I'm going by memory right now, so forgive any obvious brain farts, please. Flaming me for any such brain farts is quite acceptable via PM. I'm not at the Linux box, can't read the install script (as if I even knew how to read script or could find where it was located on the install CDR).

Each and every time I have installed Arch (0.2-0.4), I have had roughly the same hardware setup and suffered roughly the same problem each time I use automatic setup. I use physical 2 hard disks; if I let Arch setup everything but I click only to use /hda, I expect only one drive to get formatted. Both get trashed. Automatic setup still needs to get gated by my hard disk selections, IMO....  I tend to think my clicking /hda was the proper item for the installer script to use in the format routine - user determines what to format and all that. Is this an old M$ thing?. Maybe rearrange the script a tad, so as to defeat formating my 5 gig MP3 drive???

HAND (finger and thumb, too).

#2 2003-01-14 15:13:47

sarah31
Website

Re: Automatic system setup is not listening to me

sounds like a plan. i generally avoid auto partition tools though just because they can be so unpredictable. That being said when you expect a tool to do one thing and it does another i think it is only natural that adjustments to the code be done.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2003-01-14 20:58:56

apeiro
Daddy
Website

This starving student doesn't have a test box with two hard drives to test on, so he can't do much about this yet.  Still waiting for Santa to bring me some more testing hardware.  :?

Can somebody else verify this?

#4 2003-01-15 01:07:08

mordantly
Website

ill look into it tonight.. id use 3 but atleast one drive is of value to me still. and of cource on a manual config as i absent mindedly realized. dont forget  to format (ext3), mount her, edit lilo (as we all know), and the stickler: fstab so Arch knows where to look or its no dice.

try to be a man and some day, you'll understand   -ccr
oh dont u worry.. ill be eating ur balls fur lunch tomorrow.   -Hugh "HughMan" Stahl
MoRdAnTlY [Mr. Wolf '91 - '11]

#5 2003-01-16 03:32:57

mordantly
Website

well whit drives on both master channels (hda and hdc) the auto partition on either does not wipe the other. even though Arch recognizes them as disc0 and disc1.. makes sense, but they werent both on the primary channel as i assume u have setup so i cant say. ill test this theory if i can figure out the jumper settings on these drives and set one to slave.

oh dont u worry.. ill be eating ur balls fur lunch tomorrow.   -Hugh "HughMan" Stahl

#6 2003-01-19 02:26:27

dunbar

Hey all, I just tried installing Arch 0.4 (official) from scratch on my 2 hard disk system, and I narrowed down where the drive hosing problem takes place.

When I elect to manually set the filesystem mount points, Arch asks if it should create the filesystems as well.
The situation I have run into is that I have a mixed answer for that request.
I wish to format /dev/hda#, and also set the mount point(s) for them, that requires a yes response to creating filesystems and to setting the mount point; however, for /dev/hdb#, the format part is no, the set mount point is still yes.
The present structure of the install script causes the mount point routine that I desire to specify to also have each mountpoint formatted. This has been the demise of many an MP3 on /dev/hdb.

The format request needs to be repeatedly requested for each partition, in my situation, so the work flow should, IMHO, be:
Ask for partition mount point, obtain string from user;
Ask for format permission from user, by displaying the mount point string and then matching up y/n input to each mount point string;
For each result of {mount point string,permission}, format each partition only according to user response.

Apologize for the thread title, as I chose it prior to investigating the cause.

#7 2003-01-21 16:25:29

dunbar

No responses.... so, then, I'm to assume this was all my fault? ;-)

I felt that the scripts request for making file systems should be limited to being 'on a partition by partiton basis', as (cough)Mandrake and (gulp) Debian do it that way.

Just a suggestion, tho.

Any ideas, mordantly?

#8 2003-01-24 01:39:05

mordantly
Website

im in posession of Dragon's setup script so ill attempt to change it to what i thinks it should be and if not than ill write some vb code to show off the layout.

#9 2003-02-07 23:30:56

mordantly
Website

ok screw the idea of fixin it fur meself. i couldnt test the modified script so i gave up. however, it should be like so: (imo)

>configure mountpoints
>>[show list of /dev/discs]
>>>where would u like this disc mounted??
>>>>[inputbox]
>>>>>do u want to set a filesystem as well??
>>>>>>[if yes, list fs types else return to >>]

so then one can set each disc they have to whatever mount point via free form input so if they dont want say /swap they can simply not mount one as such, etc. if it dont make sense, apologies.. im slightly scatter-brained right now./ but like the other projects on here im supposed to do, it may take soem time till i can reattempt it.

#10 2003-02-10 12:59:28

dunbar

I think this might work, as long as the 'make partitions' section is enabled/disabled on a 'partition by partition' basis.

Along a similar vein, it seems I'm not the only one who freaks at the current 'all or nothing' method - sp00n just aborted an install based on the same issue here.

Board footer