You are not logged in.

#1 2006-03-20 22:28:12

Benol

Rebuild the whole system?

I've been quite amazed, but I really couldn't find any way of rebuilding my whole system with this famous ABS. The strange thing about it is, that I read in the docs, that it is possible with one command :?

So - is it possible, or not? Do I have to play a lot with makeworld or srcpac?

PS. Okay, I am used to Gentoo, so what? tongue

#2 2006-03-20 22:39:51

pressh
Developer/TU

Re: Rebuild the whole system?

One command to rebuild all my system with my defined flags, that would be cool 8)

.....well it's not possible atm

[edit] ....didn't know about makeworld  :oops:

#3 2006-03-20 22:55:36

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

#4 2006-03-20 23:07:45

tomk
Forum Fellow

Yeah, Makeworld - it's like Disneyworld, for geeks. tongue

Seriously - it's part of pacman. No man page, but you get help if you run it with no args.

#5 2006-03-20 23:20:19

Infinite

8)  nice...

made my first package 2 minutes ago by the way  big_smile
I have a problem with ArchCK though  :?  probably going to make a new thread about if I'm not able to find the solution (thus far .. no luck)

ABS and AUR are quite interesting to say the least  8)

#6 2006-03-21 14:18:42

Benol

http://www.archlinux.org/docs/en/guide/install/arch-install-guide.html wrote:

This is backed by an easy-to-use binary package system that allows you to upgrade your entire system with one command. Arch also uses a ports-like package build system (Arch Build System) to make it easy to build packages, which can also be synchronized with one command. Oh yeah, and you can rebuild your entire system with one command, too. Everything is done quite simply and transparently.

How's that?

So the RIGHT method to get software is "pacman -S foo". If I want to compile then I have to go to /var/abs/boo/foo and "makepkg -i"? Why isn't it described detailed anywhere?

#7 2006-03-21 14:42:14

tomk
Forum Fellow

Umm .. it's all in the wiki.

#8 2006-03-21 15:33:59

josolanes

Benol wrote:

This is backed by an easy-to-use binary package system that allows you to upgrade your entire system with one command. Arch also uses a ports-like package build system (Arch Build System) to make it easy to build packages, which can also be synchronized with one command. Oh yeah, and you can rebuild your entire system with one command, too. Everything is done quite simply and transparently.

How's that?

So the RIGHT method to get software is "pacman -S foo". If I want to compile then I have to go to /var/abs/boo/foo and "makepkg -i"? Why isn't it described detailed anywhere?

hmm...the only thing i have under /var/abs/ is /var/abs/local/ (which is empty btw) and the log file.
is this because i cleared the cache in the past?
if so, is there a way to rebuild the system still?

System Specs: Arch 0.7.1 (Noodle); Kernel=2.6.15-ARCH; Gnome; xorg-7.0 (w/3D!!)--Xgl wink; Dual Athlon MP 1800+; Asus A7M266-D mobo; 40GB (ATA 133); Audigy 2 Platinum; Radeon 9800 Pro (3D included big_smile)
Registered Linux user number 395691

#9 2006-03-21 15:44:42

pressh
Developer/TU

josolanes wrote:
Benol wrote:

How's that?

hmm...the only thing i have under /var/abs/ is /var/abs/local/ (which is empty btw) and the log file.

pacman -S cvsup
abs

to get the PKGBUILDS in /var/abs

/etc/abs/abs.conf to configure abs

#10 2006-03-21 16:22:42

jaboua

pressh wrote:
josolanes wrote:
Benol wrote:

How's that?

pacman -S cvsup
abs

to get the PKGBUILDS in /var/abs

/etc/abs/abs.conf to configure abs

and /etc/makepkg.conf to configure GCC flags and such

#11 2006-03-21 19:09:00

Benol

tomk wrote:

Umm .. it's all in the wiki.

I couldn't really find anything usefull. Okay - it is described how to compile one package, that's all. Do I even have to use "find" in /var/abs to compile my package? This is the ultimate ABS? Srcpac seems to make a little more usefull.

But I can't still can't find anything about this famous one command...

#12 2006-03-21 19:58:25

Lone_Wolf

try

makeworld

in a console prompt

NOTE : make a backup of your sytem BEFORE you use any of the options of makeworld

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer