You are not logged in.

#1 2006-02-14 04:23:15

enigmabr

acpi & powernow issues

Hi... I have a problem. After upgrading the kernel(2.6.15.x) , the acpi-cpufreq and powernow-k8 modules don't work anymore. Both display the following message at end of line: "no such device"

But if I downgrade the kernel (2.6.15) everything works perfectly. Looking for differences between the kernels in the configs files (config26 I guess) located at /boot I don't see anything different...

I run "dmesg | grep powernow" command and it shows errors related to PSB structure in bios...

I don't understand.... with old kernel the modules work, but with later kernels don't....

Any Ideas?

Thanks for the help!

PS: sorry my poor english

#2 2006-02-18 11:51:09

wanderingidea
Website

Re: acpi & powernow issues

I have the same problem with an AMD64 MS-6702.
It is a known problem, see: http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6034

#3 2006-03-02 18:04:24

enigmabr

Thanks for information!!!

I see this link and the problem report status is marked as solved, but I still not understanding how fix it....

Is the solution compiling the kernel from the source with patch related in the website?

Thanks for any advices!!

#4 2006-03-02 20:01:32

wanderingidea
Website

Sorry, I also do not know how to fix it. The kernel patch only seems like a workaround but not a permanent solution.
I hope and wait for a permanent solution in the kernel (eventually).

#5 2006-03-13 05:02:59

enigmabr

I got news!!

Recompiling the kernel from source and disabling SMP support the acpi modules works finally....
But, I found another problem. The system becomes very, very slow (I need to say that I have a notebook, thus can be just notebook like error, maybe the normal pcs  don't  have problems). The screen frame rate is very slow, xorg take several seconds to run (~40 seconds), the cpu always stays in the high activity even when computer is idle, hd works very slow too...

I tried some steps to solve this (tips from other posts from archlinux and gentoo):

1) recompile the kernel disabling hyper-threadding: no sucess
2) step 1 + setting timer frequency to 1000: no sucess

I did this steps with latest kernels at the current and testing repositories without sucess  (kernel26 and kernel26archck)

Reading others posts, other solution could be disabling ip_conntrack feature, but this I don tried yet or then downgrading the kernel to 2.6.12...

Somebody can help me in this quest?

Thanks

#6 2006-03-20 23:28:24

enigmabr

Hi people!!

With the kernel 2.6.16 the acpi-cpufreq and powernow-k8 works fine....

Board footer