You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-03 08:07:11

thegala

Hibernate disk problem

I have specific problem with hibernation.

I hib with my Arch system and start some other of my distros. In that other distro I write on my partition and when I am back to arch I have problem with that  partition (ext4).

dmesg output

EXT4-fs error (device dm-2): __ext4_new_inode:1010: comm git: failed to insert inode 1046531: doubly allocated?   

Dose anyone know how to fix this problem.

Scio me nihil scire

#2 2015-03-03 09:56:35

mychris

Re: Hibernate disk problem

So you have a partition which is mounted by Arch and the other distro as RW.

You hibernate Arch with this partition mounted RW, boot "other distro" with this partition mounted RW, write to that partition, poweroff the PC and boot the hibernated Arch?

I think that this is dangerous because the hibernated OS may store some information about the "shared" partition and will reuse those information after resume. Those information may be invalid because the "other distro" changed the filesystem.

A filesystem should only be mounted once with write access at one point in time. If a OS had the partition mounted with write access and hibernates, I would think of this OS as "has still mounted this partition with write access".

You should unmount this partition before hibernate and mount it again when you reboot the hibernated system.

#3 2015-03-03 10:41:49

thegala

Do you know a way to overcome this problem I mean is there a possibility to not unmount  it before hibernate and in the same type avoid corruption on filesystem.

Scio me nihil scire

#4 2015-03-03 11:34:01

dice

Yes, if no files are in use on that partition you can unmount it before hibernate. But still  poweroff is the save way to go.

I put at button on it. Yes. I wish to press it, but I'm not sure what will happen if I do.  (Gune | Titan A.E.)

Board footer