You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-04 18:33:59

blufinney

Java Application Icon - In Gnome

While I've been able to figure out how to customize the icons for most applications (e.g. /usr/share/icons) I've been unsuccessful in figuring out how to change the icons for a particular java application (webex).  After some googleing I've discovered either 1) everyone but me knows how to do this or 2) no one cares.. or 3) i suck at google searches.  Either way if anyone has any pointers/ideas I'd be glad to hear em.  smile

#2 2015-03-04 19:22:35

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Java Application Icon - In Gnome

Which icons are you talking about?  In launchers, menus, taskbars, titlebars, etc?  There are different mechanisms for all of these.  But most likely what you are looking for is desktop files:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Desktop_entries

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2015-03-04 19:27:11

thiagowfx

I can't find any packages for webex either on the official repos or on the AUR. But it looks like it is not an open source application [1] (it's a commercial product, right?). So I believe that it cannot be customized.

Edit: unless you're talking about the Desktop Icon (as Trilby said).

[1]: http://www.webex.com/

Last edited by thiagowfx (2015-03-04 19:27:51)

#4 2015-03-04 21:34:21

blufinney

Trilby wrote:

Which icons are you talking about?  In launchers, menus, taskbars, titlebars, etc?  There are different mechanisms for all of these.  But most likely what you are looking for is desktop files:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Desktop_entries

Good question.  The icons (gnome 3) that show up when clicking "Acitivities" in the upper left hand corner or when using alt-tab.  So I believe the answer is, yes, the desktop files and/or the icon theme handles these.  Only thing is I've been unable to figure out the name of the application (which is launched via browser as a java applet).  When running "ps aux" I find the particular (webex) app in question.  I pasted the output below.  I have tried making desktop files and icon files (under my current theme) using different combinations of names derived from the output but doesn't seem to be working.

/usr/lib/jvm/java-default-runtime/bin/java -Xbootclasspath/a:/usr/share/icedtea-web/netx.jar:/usr/share/icedtea-web/plugin.jar:/usr/share/java/js.jar: -classpath /usr/lib/jvm/default-runtime/lib/rt.jar sun.applet.PluginMain /run/user/1000/icedteaplugin-xxx-KtjCVE/29103-icedteanp-plugin-to-appletviewer /run/user/1000/icedteaplugin-xxx-KtjCVE/29103-icedteanp-appletviewer-to-plugin /run/user/1000/icedteaplugin-xxx-KtjCVE/29103-icedteanp-plugin-debug-to-appletviewer

As an aside, the icon that does show up is a highly pixelated webex logo - so maybe there's something to what thiagowfx stated.  Was hoping to find something in general for java applet icons when running in gnome/linux so I could archive it in my "way of fixing slightly annoying things"

Board footer