You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-05 11:35:21

B15HOP

Samba wiki

In the samba tutorial:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/sa … g_services

The term "enable services" doesn't explain that they will need to be run with the enable option to make them run at boot. I spent two days trying to figure out why "smbd.service" and "nmbd.service" wouldn't restart at boot.

It would be better if it was just expanded a little to explain that "start" is to start the service now. "enable" starts the service at boot and restart will restart the service. It's easily overlooked and it should be stated in the wiki.

Enable samba at boot:

systemctl enable smbd.service nmbd.service

"The ecological crisis is a moral issue."

#2 2015-03-05 11:39:10

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Samba wiki

I disagree.  That is not a topic for the samba page, but the systemd/systemctl page.  That is already linked.  The instruction to start/enable is a link to the page that describes exactly how to start or enable services, as well as what the differences are.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2015-03-05 11:40:08

B15HOP

I also had an issue where the default config (smb.conf) wasn't helping much... Even modified by going through the wiki tutorial after using the man pages. I tried reading logs but to no avail. I noticed an error at log level 3 I was getting a "NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER " for b15hop => b15hop. But that issue is fixed with the new conf I found elsewhere.

#4 2015-03-05 11:42:34

B15HOP

Trilby wrote:

I disagree.  That is not a topic for the samba page, but the systemd/systemctl page.  That is already linked.  The instruction to start/enable is a link to the page that describes exactly how to start or enable services, as well as what the differences are.

Yeah but why should I have to read another tutorial when I just want to enable at boot. It wasn't as self explanatory. Google / man pages and all. Seemed to be going around in circles just because I never knew I missed on a key word "enable. At least put the command line in to show the options with a link to the full description in the systemd wiki tutorial.

#5 2015-03-05 12:26:46

lahwaacz
Wiki Admin

Linking is the essential characterization of a wiki, and even the entire web in general. If you ignore the links provided in text and instead resort to googling unknown terms, you are unnecessarily making your life difficult. There are reasons for linking to the main systemd page instead of providing a limited subset of systemctl's commands -- mainly avoiding duplication to ease the maintenance of wiki pages and consistency.

The ArchWiki's style guidelines are very specific, the most frequent conventions that might be misunderstood by readers are covered in a "tutorial" at Help:Reading.

Last edited by lahwaacz (2015-03-05 12:27:29)

#6 2015-03-05 17:43:05

satanselbow

B15HOP wrote:

Yeah but why should I have to read another tutorial when I just want to enable at boot. It wasn't as self explanatory.

You don't need to read the whole article - skim read it for the snippets you need then return to the job at hand.

Seeking clarification from "another tutorial" is quicker than escaping the knowledge dependency cycle you are creating for yourself?

#7 2015-03-05 18:39:41

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

There is also a slippery slope.  When the wiki says to add a line to a file, it does not say key-by-key what to type in order to open an editor and add the line.  Partially this is because different users will use different editors, and partially because arch users are expected to know how to edit files.  Arch users are also expected to know how to use basic system management tools like systemctl to start/stop enable/disable mask/edit etc services.  Being instructed to enable a service should be sufficient just like being instructed to add a line to a file.  If you do not know how to enable a service, that is fine, but then you really should read the whole systemctl page so then you do know.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer