You are not logged in.

#1 2014-03-09 23:46:09

Dragon707
Website

i3 strange things happens with my mouse

Hi,

I have some strange issues with my i3 setup on Arch Linux, most of the time my mouse is working without any issues. But at a random time or event my mouse does extremly strange things.
I can move my mouse around but cant click on anything, when i scroll it switches the workspaces and not my webpage for example.

When i try to restart i3 ($mod shift r) my mouse (not always) is working correctly for 4 a 5 seconds before it happens again. The only fix i have for now is to restart the X server and close all applications wich is pretty annoying

Anyone with a solution? Or what could cause this problem ?

ArchLinux is Awesome

GitHub   •   Dotfiles   •   Contact me   •   DELETE...!

#2 2014-03-10 00:57:57

karkhaz

Re: i3 strange things happens with my mouse

Dragon707 wrote:

when i scroll it switches the workspaces and not my webpage for example.

This can happen if your cursor is hovering over i3bar while you scroll. If there are several workspaces showing in i3bar, then scrolling with the cursor over i3bar will cause the workspaces to rapidly switch. Is this what you are experiencing?

Could you launch xev from a terminal, click on the window and see if there is any output in the terminal?

#3 2014-03-10 02:40:59

Dornith

It sounds to me like your computer thinks your mouse is somewhere it isn't.  That would cause it to click in a spot that's not actually where you told it to click and could cause the workspace switching as karkhaz has explained.

#4 2014-03-10 06:49:41

Dragon707
Website

karkhaz wrote:
Dragon707 wrote:

when i scroll it switches the workspaces and not my webpage for example.

This can happen if your cursor is hovering over i3bar while you scroll. If there are several workspaces showing in i3bar, then scrolling with the cursor over i3bar will cause the workspaces to rapidly switch. Is this what you are experiencing?

Could you launch xev from a terminal, click on the window and see if there is any output in the terminal?

Next time this happens to me again, i will try that and report it here.
Thanks!

Dornith wrote:

It sounds to me like your computer thinks your mouse is somewhere it isn't.  That would cause it to click in a spot that's not actually where you told it to click and could cause the workspace switching as karkhaz has explained.

How can my computer think that, or what could causes that ?

Last edited by Dragon707 (2014-03-10 06:50:55)

ArchLinux is Awesome

GitHub   •   Dotfiles   •   Contact me   •   DELETE...!

#5 2014-03-10 14:21:35

karkhaz

Dragon707 wrote:
Dornith wrote:

How can my computer think that, or what could causes that ?

It's almost certainly not an i3 thing, anyway. It's either at the X level, or at the hardware level. Try doing this from a terminal:

xev | grep root | awk -F , '{ print $4, $5 }'

And wiggle your cursor around the xev window. If you move the cursor to the top-left of the window, you should get a coordinate close to (0, 0) for example. Report if there are any anomalies.

#6 2015-03-08 23:03:05

boromeus

1. Hello, Arch users, this is my first post here.

2. Don't know, whether this weird issue has been solved for you or not.

If not, probably my answer won't help either, but it is certainly worth writing down here for SEO reasons: maybe someone else can fix their similar problem as easily as I did, after many days and nights of unsuccessful research. (At least I found this topic, the only one on the whole Internetzz that matched my description: yet another example of Arch Wiki and Arch Forums being literally omniscient.)

I'm testing i3 in a virtual machine hosted on my Debian desktop. That is the point, because I needed to turn off automatic mouse integration in VirtualBox so that every time I want to do something inside the VM, I have to capture the mouse pointer and when I want to go out of it, I have to release it. It's not a big deal, yet another hotkey to remember, works fine after getting used to it. However, the random workspace switching disappeared since then.

Board footer