You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-09 21:43:38

Bruce1956

Dual booting from gummiboot

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

I've never tried rEFInd so I'm not sure.

ASUS motherboards have been reported on these boards (and the Debian forums) as problematic in respect of the ability to disable Secure Boot -- it could be that it is enabled with no option to switch if off. If this is the case the Arch live ISO should still boot but the installed system will not.

http://kroah.com/log/blog/2013/09/02/bo … nux-kernel

Anyway, it's probably best to open a thread for your problems if it proves intransigent wink

Hi Head...,

Interesting article! Secure Boot seems like a good idea in the long run, and this is one of the reasons I like linux and the Arch Way, in particular. What was initially, intentionally or not, a barrier to linux use on modern motherboards has become a way to achieve greater security that is open, rather than proprietary. I like the simplicity of avoiding a bootloader altogether. Very cool!

I tried gummiboot and was able to get my Arch partition to boot, but as yet it won't boot my Kubuntu partition, although I haven't really tried other than configuring a kubuntu.conf in $esp/loader/entries/ like the following that worked for Arch (with the correct root=PARTUUID=# substitution).

title          Arch Linux
linux          /vmlinuz-linux
initrd         /initramfs-linux.img
options        root=PARTUUID=14420948-2cea-4de7-b042-40f67c618660 rw

Shouldn't that work?

I'm guessing that rEFInd finds, creates, and inserts these *.conf files automatically, but gummiboot worked fine for the above, so why not for other OS's? I'll be researching that next, but thanks to you, I got this booted for the first time!

#2 2015-03-09 21:58:26

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: Dual booting from gummiboot

Bruce1956 wrote:

I tried gummiboot and was able to get my Arch partition to boot, but as yet it won't boot my Kubuntu partition, although I haven't really tried other than configuring a kubuntu.conf in $esp/loader/entries/ like the following that worked for Arch (with the correct root=PARTUUID=# substitution).

title          Arch Linux
linux          /vmlinuz-linux
initrd         /initramfs-linux.img
options        root=PARTUUID=14420948-2cea-4de7-b042-40f67c618660 rw

Shouldn't that work?

I'm guessing that rEFInd finds, creates, and inserts these *.conf files automatically, but gummiboot worked fine for the above, so why not for other OS's? I'll be researching that next, but thanks to you, I got this booted for the first time!

Gummiboot can only boot kernel images that are on the same EFI system partition -- is Kubuntu sharing the same EFI system partiton as your Arch system?

If not, you may have to use GRUB instead.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#UEFI_systems

It would probably be a good idea to use the "Report" button on your post above and ask one of our moderators to split this off into it's own thread so that other users can benefit from any potential solutions wink

#3 2015-03-09 22:24:42

Bruce1956

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Gummiboot can only boot kernel images that are on the same EFI system partition -- is Kubuntu sharing the same EFI system partiton as your Arch system?

If not, you may have to use GRUB instead.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#UEFI_systems

It would probably be a good idea to use the "Report" button on your post above and ask one of our moderators to split this off into it's own thread so that other users can benefit from any potential solutions wink

Yes, they do share the same EFI partition, which is why I thought it would work. Maybe it depends on what's in /etc/fstab. I'm not sure which the system sees first.

But I agree this is well beyond "Hello Everyone". Will do.

#4 2015-03-09 23:08:54

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Split from the Welcome thread...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#5 2015-03-10 04:39:18

WonderWoofy

@OP, from what you wrote, it sounds as though you have only changed the PARTUUID.  You will also need to point the kernel and initrd configurations to the Kubuntu specific ones as well.  The Arch kernel is not compatible with the Kubuntu modules (/lib/modules).

#6 2015-03-10 08:20:59

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Post your gummiboot config file for Kubuntu and also the output of:

lsblk -f
# parted -l
ls /boot

#7 2015-03-11 03:28:36

Bruce1956

Thanks, Woofy and Head.

Got surgery in the early morning, so won't get to this for a few days. Appreciate your suggestions, though, and will follow up later.

Again,

Thanks!

Board footer