You are not logged in.

#51 2015-03-10 21:55:36

Roken

Re: Xfce4 4.12 bugs ... [main bug understood and worked-around]

When you updated you should have had a warning about keyboard layout. As it happens, mine seems to have survived just fine (not as much can be said about my ability to use a keyboard, but c'est la vie).

As it stands, the keyboard issue is not a bug, but a change of behaviour.

Ryzen 5900X 12 core/24 thread - RTX 3090 FE 24 Gb, Asus Prime B450 Plus, 32Gb Corsair DDR4, Cooler Master N300 chassis, 5 HD (1 NvME PCI, 4SSD) + 1 x optical.
Linux user #545703

#52 2015-03-10 22:39:24

foutrelis
Developer
Website

His issue with the default keyboard layout was reported before the xfce4-xkb-plugin update to 0.7.1. (Though it's nice that the xkb plugin no longer does its own thing and shares the settings with xfce4-settings.)

I tested with two layouts (gr,us; in that order) and after login "us" is the active layout even though it's not the first one. When the xkb plugin is later added to the panel, the active layout switches to the first layout I had set (gr).

I'm still not entirely sure what/where the bug is exactly. Something is slightly off though.

#53 2015-03-11 11:54:52

schizo-ri

I have a different keyboard bug. After update I can't use 'v' key properly. Pressing it or Alt Gr+v doesn't write text. The input box behaves like it looses focus while v is pressed down. However Ctrl+v and Shift+V behave like they should. I copied 'v@' so I can write "normally". I used evtest to test it and it reports it like normal KEY_V press event. I tried changing layouts, keyboard models, and keyboard hardware and nothing helped.

#54 2015-03-11 12:35:45

foutrelis
Developer
Website

schizo-ri wrote:

I have a different keyboard bug. After update I can't use 'v' key properly. Pressing it or Alt Gr+v doesn't write text. The input box behaves like it looses focus while v is pressed down. However Ctrl+v and Shift+V behave like they should. I copied 'v@' so I can write "normally". I used evtest to test it and it reports it like normal KEY_V press event. I tried changing layouts, keyboard models, and keyboard hardware and nothing helped.

Maybe check the keyboard shortcuts in case something is triggering off the V key?

#55 2015-03-11 13:04:56

schizo-ri

I tried that, reseted to default just in case. It didn't help. This behaViour is global.

EDIT: I reseted Application Shortcuts to default too and it solved it. There were only few of my own and non using 'v' key. It helped anyway, weird. Thank you for your help.

Last edited by schizo-ri (2015-03-11 13:23:16)

#56 2015-04-23 19:16:11

Jristz

Here the person suffer of the same problem but the patch in #35 fix the problem also look like fixed the keyboard problem too.

I want know if the patch was upstreamed of added to arch package or something, this threas is confusing a little so I can find the answer here

Well, I suppose that this is somekind of signature, no?

#57 2015-04-23 21:44:19

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

There's a bug report linked in this thread. For the moment, upstream won't accept the patch as it breaks other things.

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#58 2015-09-07 01:28:44

ectospasm

foutrelis wrote:

When testing an individual patch (like in this case) it's usually best to build a package based on the existing PKGBUILD but also adding the patch in question.

Feel free to test the following packages that contain the specific patch:

http://pkgbuild.com/~foutrelis/test-bui … atch-5681/

I've installed these files, and it seems to have fixed my problem.  I have a KVM switch with DisplayPorts from the computers, and DP->HDMI to the identical monitors.  Whenever I'd switch back to the Arch machine, the monitors would be in power save mode, and couldn't be woken up.  With the nvidia driver, I could switch to another virtual terminal (e.g. tty1), and restart lightdm.  Sadly, this always meant that I'd lose whatever I was doing.  With nouveau it was worse.  My only recourse was to SSH into the Arch machine, and restart lightdm.  These patches (single patch?) fixed the problem for me.

The only recurring problem I have now is that xfdesktop keeps launching, with what I think is a default background on the primary monitor, no panels, and an empty desktop.  If I kill xfdesktop ("xfdesktop --quit"), my panels show up, with all windows on all workspaces/desktops just fine.  The only thing that appears to lose is the context menu from the root window (bare desktop), but I hardly ever use that.  If I could prevent xfdesktop from running at all, that would be fine by me.  I don't think this particular problem is any way related to the KVM switch issue, they just happened to coincide a lot.  I seem to remember it happening quite a bit when I first installed Arch a few weeks ago, I managed to ignore it until now.

Board footer