You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-13 18:26:25

parism_s

Keymap resets to 'us' after reboot

Hi to all,
This is my first post
I have just installed Arch to a thinkpad x220 with a uk keyboard layout, following the beginners guide.
After logging in for the first time as root from the console (Note: I haven't created a user account yet, nor installed X) I changed the kemap with

localectl set-keymap uk gr

(I need "gr" so that I can also use greek characters when needed)
Now when I reboot and i am in the terminal login propmt, the keymap goes back to the default 'us'. After I have logged in the actual keymap remains 'us', and with Alt+shift I can switch to 'gr' layout and back to 'us' (UK layout does not get activated). The strange thing is that when i call:

localectl  status

it shows:

System Locale: LANG=en_GB.UT-8
VC Keymap: uk
VC Toggle Keymap: gr
X11 Layout: gb
X11 Model: pc105
X11 Options: terminate:ctrl_alt_backspace

Now when i run "loadkeys uk" , I have a perfectly functiional uk keyboard, but this is not persistent afer reboot.

Any ideas how to change this?

Last edited by parism_s (2015-03-13 18:27:11)

#2 2015-03-13 20:37:31

loafer

Re: Keymap resets to 'us' after reboot

What's in /etc/vconsole.conf?

All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

#3 2015-03-13 20:38:54

Slithery
Administrator

Are you sure you followed the beginners guide...

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … and_keymap

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#4 2015-03-13 21:25:05

parism_s

less /etc/vcondole.conf

KEYMAP=uk
KEYMAP_TOGGLE=gr

About the beginners guide: Initially I used loadkeys to load the uk keyboard, but I misunderstood the instructions and did not create an /etc/vcondole.conf
file before the first boot. However I did all this configuration after the first boot. Shouldn' t there be any way to change these settings without re-installing?

The strange thing is that with ALT+SHIFT i switch keyboard layouts and the gr keyboard works fine without me needing to use loadkeys. Uk layout only works after using loadkeys.
I have also tried to modify /etc/mkinitcpio.conf by adding 'keymap' to the HOOKS line, and then running 'mkinitcpio -p linux' with no success.

#5 2015-03-13 21:27:59

Slithery
Administrator

less /etc/vcondole.conf

Is that a typo or is your file really called vcondole.conf?
It's meant to be vconsole.conf.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#6 2015-03-13 21:45:35

parism_s

no its a typo.( i got no xserver running yet on the machine and I am manually copying from another pc)

Anyway almost found some solution, but i supsect there must be a bug or something
when i forget about the alternative gr layout nand jusr run 'localectl set-keymap uk' everything works as expected, I have uk layout, it is persistent after rebooting, however i loose the gr option.

If i run localectl set-keymap gr uk"  (first gr then uk) I only get the uk layout, I do not get the greek one.

For now maybe I can do without the greek layout in console if I manage to configure it to be working under X.

Board footer