You are not logged in.

#26 2006-03-21 08:44:03

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Re: Archie – down and bleeding

Dont spend too much time on initramfs now, when phrak's mystical initramfs work appears, we'll probably end up using that instead of my pathetic mkinitramfs.

iphitus

#27 2006-03-21 08:56:01

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Thanks for that heads up, iph.  You'll be using that in archck too?

#28 2006-03-21 09:14:29

AndyRTR
Developer

How about an archie64? Altough these days all my time goes to the arch64 port a 64bit live cd would be nice.

How is Archie build? When there's a large script and the rest is done almost automaticly I could spend some time on it smile

Is there a webcvs or documentation to read more about the build process?

AndyRTR

#29 2006-03-21 09:20:53

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

AndyRTR, thanks for the interest.  Based on what Iph has said, and the work that needs doing, I would suggest you hang fire a bit to see what happens with Archie in the near future.  I had hoped that the current issues could be quick fixed and Archie got back on it's feet but it looks like a slower, long term approach may now be on the cards.  Stay tuned.

#30 2006-03-21 10:44:50

gradgrind

I think I read somewhere that the new mkinitramfs will use klibc. Is that so?

I had a quick look at it when I was working on the initramfs for my larch live CD, but I think (correct me if I am wrong) I discovered that it doesn't - at least not easily - support some of the utilities that might be useful for a live CD initramfs (e.g. is it possible to link unionctl with it?).
busybox in combination with uclibc is easy to use and well documented! This combination seems to work well, so I would be interested in knowing why there is a move away from it.

#31 2006-03-21 16:40:08

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Because klibc and kinit are based directly on kernel code, and created by kernel developers.  It will be merged directly into the kernel itself in the near future.  And there is no reason why one could not:
a) provide a missing utility that is needed to the klibc codebase
b) put busybox into an initramfs too

klibc and kinit and all it's tools come to approx 200K.  Busybox, compiled with the same features, is approx 700K.

#32 2006-03-21 16:50:41

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Whoosh!

The sound of all that flying WAY over my head.  I'll just do the bash build scripts and pkgs I think...

#33 2006-03-21 23:32:50

z4ziggy
Website

hey peeps,

1st, thanks dibble for keeping Archie alive... the last past months had been hectic for me - both personal and work - and I hardly set down "on" the keyboard not to mention browsing the forums...

2nd, I really like the larch idea - using slax scripts was something i thought about when Archie wasnt born yet, but since they didnt use squashfs+unionfs at that time (though their beta testings did - but still heavy changes had to be done to addopt it to Arch) I decided to do it all from scratch (this old history can be read on the Archie forums...). Nowdays obviously things had changed, but I still prefer the archie-scripts over slax, mainly because of Arch/ie philosophy - KISS - which is how I tried (and later on dibble) to keep up with the archie-scripts.

Lately, due to major changes as dibble described (udev, initramfs, gensplash) too many problems rose up with the scripts and due to lack of time I couldnt get around to fixing them - also, all packages are out-of-date (I also kept my personal archie repository locally but this is out-of-date too).
I think best way to try and organize things is have an irc brainstorm or on jabber - who ever is interested in assisting the project - lets plan for an e-meeting where we can all sit and discuss the future of the project, what's and how's. sounds ok?

for the record, my vision for Archie was (and still is) several iso's, each for specific goal:
XFCE desktop - for fast desktop
KDE desktop - for eye-candy desktop
and skinny versions (using uclibc) of those two. as Archie grew, some ideas for e17 versions came up, which i thought is a great idea, but never got around of doing so.
All iso's can (and should) be the base for any user wants to make his own private iso, and several users did in the past (SG-3, dibble, and others).

Waiting for your reply guys,
z4ziggy

#34 2006-03-22 16:00:35

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

z4ziggy wrote:

I think best way to try and organize things is have an irc brainstorm or on jabber - who ever is interested in assisting the project - lets plan for an e-meeting where we can all sit and discuss the future of the project, what's and how's. sounds ok?

I absolutley agree.  Although if we do it in IRC I'd like to restrict it to people with opinions that really will (not might) actually contribute later, rather than people who just want to give an opinion.

We should definitely get Shadowhand on board for any (if any) art considerations.

#35 2006-03-22 16:22:18

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

dibblethewrecker wrote:

Although if we do it in IRC I'd like to restrict it to people with opinions that really will (not might) actually contribute later, rather than people who just want to give an opinion.

Ah, the elitists.... Founders of Microsoft.....

#36 2006-03-22 16:27:40

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

dibblethewrecker wrote:

I absolutley agree.  Although if we do it in IRC I'd like to restrict it to people with opinions that really will (not might) actually contribute later, rather than people who just want to give an opinion.

Channel moderation is cake, i.e. set the channel as 'moderated' (+m IIRC) and simply voice (+v) those who are able to speak.  It's typical in meeting and/or Q-and-A channels.

Still, jabber might be fun.

Board footer