You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-17 14:46:27

AcousticBruce

[SOLVED] Smartctl viewing process as test is running.

I have been reading the S.M.A.R.T. Arch Wiki and have learned a lot about this tool. I cannot seem to find how to view if test is still going.

I ran these...

# smartctl -t short /dev/sda
# smartctl -t conveyance /dev/sda
# smartctl -t long /dev/sda

When you run a test it runs in the background and does not tell you when it is done. The long test said it would take 77 minutes. Just so you know i do have an error on a block, the short test did not find but conveyance did.

My question is how to tell if process is completed? When i use  -H it now shows 3 tests and long says completed with error. The error is the same block as the conveyance test. I still hear the drive spinning though and there is at least 20 minutes left on the eta -c gave me before i started the test.

Farther note: the drive is brand new only 300 hours on it. If any of you saw my post about [# find / ] giving an error, this is that same drive.

Last edited by AcousticBruce (2015-05-22 19:14:26)

#2 2015-03-17 15:12:17

alphaniner

Re: [SOLVED] Smartctl viewing process as test is running.

I use smartctl -Hc and look at the "Self-test execution status". Downside is It only reports in multiples of ten eg. 90% remaining, 80% remaining, etc.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

Board footer