You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-20 08:29:23

dice

[Solved] lilypond,ghostscript ps to pdf broken

This problem was mentioned on several places in the last days:
Infinality thread
lilypond-devel aur package(comment by mgd)
lilypond-git aur package

The problem is that lilypond fails in the step when it is converting the ps file to pdf

GNU LilyPond 2.18.2
Processing `EG 30 Es ist ein Ros.ly'
Parsing...
Interpreting music...
Preprocessing graphical objects...
Interpreting music...
MIDI output to `EG 30 Es ist ein Ros.midi'...
Finding the ideal number of pages...
Fitting music on 1 page...
Drawing systems...
Layout output to `EG 30 Es ist ein Ros.ps'...
Converting to `./EG 30 Es ist ein Ros.pdf'...
warning: `(gs -q -dSAFER -dDEVICEWIDTHPOINTS=595.28 -dDEVICEHEIGHTPOINTS=841.89 -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -r1200 -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=./EG 30 Es ist ein Ros.pdf -c.setpdfwrite -fEG 30 Es ist ein Ros.ps)' failed (256)

fatal error: failed files: "EG 30 Es ist ein Ros.ly"

This is reproducible and also ps2pdf fails on the file

ps2pdf EG\ 30\ Es\ ist\ ein\ Ros.ps                                                                                     
Error: /undefinedresult in --glyphshow--
Operand stack:
   0.6146   11.3811   -5.6906   space
Execution stack:
   %interp_exit   .runexec2   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   2   %stopped_push   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   false   1   %stopped_push   1967   1   3   %oparray_pop   1966   1   3   %oparray_pop   1950   1   3   %oparray_pop   1836   1   3   %oparray_pop   --nostringval--   %errorexec_pop   .runexec2   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   2   %stopped_push   --nostringval--   0   --nostringval--   %repeat_continue   --nostringval--
Dictionary stack:
   --dict:1186/1684(ro)(G)--   --dict:0/20(G)--   --dict:109/200(L)--
Current allocation mode is local
Last OS error: No such file or directory
Current file position is 300236
GPL Ghostscript 9.15: Unrecoverable error, exit code 1

There seem to be three possible causes here:

1. lilypond itself produces incorrect postscript
    I doubt that because lilypond was not updated for almost a year and worked fine since then

2. ghostscript is broken
    ghostscript was updated in february. This might be the cause.
    Or some conflicts with custom libraries vs system libraries (see infinality thread)
    I only have problems with lilypond postscript files when using ps2pdf

3. infinality broke the font system
    I installed infinality-bundle from bohoomil's repo since I last used lilypond successfully

I tried compiling ghostscript myself with modified PKGBUILD that does not remove the shipped libraries from ghostscript. This didn't do anything about the issue.
I tried viewing the ps file with evince, atril and okular. Does not work (although they might be using ghostscript for anyway so I don't know if this is an indicator that the ps file is broken)

I don't know exactly how to remove infinality from the system temporarily without breaking fonts everywhere so  didn't try this yet.

Does somebody know more about this? Is there anything else I could do/try?

Last edited by dice (2015-03-24 10:33:18)

I put at button on it. Yes. I wish to press it, but I'm not sure what will happen if I do.  (Gune | Titan A.E.)

#2 2015-03-22 20:48:04

creatid
Website

Re: [Solved] lilypond,ghostscript ps to pdf broken

No infinality on my system, with only LilyPond 2.18.2-2 and GhostScript 2.15-2 it works flawless. So these packages do not seem to be the problem. That is the only useful input I have as I know nothing about Infinality.

#3 2015-03-23 09:55:47

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Came here looking for this specifically. I have infinality on my system and this is broken. I see there's a recent update to infinality, trying it now to see if it helps. I believe (from trying to compile lilypond myself) that the problem is with t1-urw-fonts-ib.

EDIT: Have not tracked it down, but rebuilding ghostscript does not seem to help (tried that based on brebs' comment in [1]).

[1] - https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/38226#comment117625

Last edited by ngoonee (2015-03-23 15:11:36)

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#4 2015-03-24 05:01:42

kalgynirae

Installing fontconfig-iu-comp (see https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 1#p1512661) resolved it for me.

#5 2015-03-24 10:33:04

dice

Ah, thanks. Although I read about the fontconfig-iu-comp package in the mentioned thread the idea that it could solve this problem too just didn't come to my mind.

I put at button on it. Yes. I wish to press it, but I'm not sure what will happen if I do.  (Gune | Titan A.E.)

Board footer