You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-18 23:10:49

iaw4

Alternative User Fork of Wiki Pages (User Hierarchy Wiki?)

I am planning to create my own version of the Installation Wiki page.  The current one is good, but I prefer a version that adds a few of the steps right in there and gives a few warnings.  I can understand why the current maintainers like it the way it is.

Should I just grab the current wiki html source and post a revised version on my own web server (for others), too?

Or, would the arch wiki prefer to have (a few other users') alternative versions of the (Installation) page in some other obscure location on the arch wiki site, presumably under a user hierarchy, itself?  in this case, I can presumably register a user account on the arch wiki and copy the existing wiki (though the wiki cannot fork pages, I believe).  I was looking on the ArchWiki:Contributing page about whether arch endorses user hierarchies.  (I don't want to contaminate the main wiki-address space.)

obviously, I am fine with whatever the preference is.

/iaw

Last edited by iaw4 (2015-03-18 23:34:26)

#2 2015-03-19 03:03:08

kynikos
Wiki Admin

Re: Alternative User Fork of Wiki Pages (User Hierarchy Wiki?)

Hi, you are welcome to use your User page or subpage (e.g. "User:Iaw4/Installation") for that. You can't fork, branch, or do many other things you can do with version control systems, so you'll have to manually copy the source text in the new page. User pages can be used like that, as long as they don't become personal blogs, in which case they are required to be moved to another domain. If you however decide to host the new page in another website, it would be nice if you mentioned the ArchWiki article as the original source, crediting the contributors listed in the page history.

#3 2015-03-19 04:56:57

iaw4

referencing and linking prominently to the originating page is not only courteous but IMHO mandatory.  (as an academic in real life, giving credit is a sine-qua-non.)

wiki suggestion: it was not obvious at all to me how to find Users:iaw .  once you mentioned it in your post, I could find it.  this could be useful to make more obvious.

I have started my Installation descriptions on https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Users:iaw4 .  If there is anything that is helpful, feel free to fold it back into the official Installation wiki.

#4 2015-03-19 07:29:56

lahwaacz
Wiki Admin

As for finding the user page, you can simply follow the link in the top right corner after logging in to the wiki, in the second row there should be links to "Iaw4" (your username), "talk", "preferences" etc. It will be harder for others to find your user page, because as per current rules the pages in the "User" namespace cannot be categorized. However, your user page is linked from your default signature, which is used on talk pages (see Help:Discussion for details).

#5 2015-03-20 04:02:43

iaw4

I have created quite a different fork of the install process.  I think it is not necessarily better but easier than the standard instructions for a newbie...takes one to feel for one ;-).  It is now in the correct hierarchy, https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/User:Iaw4 .  It also contains a pointer to a vmware image of the install that I am hosting.  Neither my version of the installation instructions nor the vmware VM is appropriate for everyone, but it may help some.

Would it be acceptable to post a note like the above on the newbie forum?

/iaw

#6 2015-03-20 04:22:15

nullified

Arch offers no arch GUI installer, as there are on ubuntu and most other linux distros. It may be intentional to deter too many newbies from trying this. The Arch and Evo/Lution communities seem hostile to one another.

smile   You should probably delete this section, nothing here (except the first sentence) seems true.

I must admit, I don't quite understand why the beginner's guide needs revisions like what you've done here. Not to mention you stripped out a lot of important stuff, like the warning to check the fstab, the note about UTc and hardware clock, adding hostname to /etc/hosts...

"We may say most aptly, that the Analytical Engine weaves algebraical patterns just as the Jacquard-loom weaves flowers and leaves." - Ada Lovelace

#7 2015-03-20 14:38:38

iaw4

I started from the standard installation guide, not the beginner's guide.  I will probably add more back in here.  I guess my version is somewhere in between.

hmmm...I was admonished when I suggested on an arch forum that I tried the arch evo/lution installer.

/iaw

#8 2015-03-20 14:58:17

runical

iaw4 wrote:

hmmm...I was admonished when I suggested on an arch forum that I tried the arch evo/lution installer.

There is nothing wrong with the installer, it is just that the system it delivers is not a hand customized system where the user knows exactly what he/she has done to get the system to the current state. The base configuration is not the same and this makes it essentially a different system from vanilla Arch. This is why people are asked to post their questions on the appropriate forum, which is usually not this forum.

#9 2015-03-20 15:09:20

nullified

iaw4 wrote:

I started from the standard installation guide, not the beginner's guide.  I will probably add more back in here.  I guess my version is somewhere in between.

/iaw

I see, I urge you to read through the beginner's guide and make sure your guide isn't missing anything important. After that you might find that they are very similar... The installation guide is not a step by step guide, which is what I believe you are trying to compile.

Also, in your guide you advise to install sudo and then

(Uncomment the relevant line in /etc/sudors.)

Please read the sudo wiki page so you can learn what is wrong with this.

Last edited by nullified (2015-03-20 15:13:01)

"We may say most aptly, that the Analytical Engine weaves algebraical patterns just as the Jacquard-loom weaves flowers and leaves." - Ada Lovelace

#10 2015-03-20 15:20:22

ewaller
Administrator

If I may inject some comments as a moderator.  I agree with runical; the issue is purely that the one Arch forum moderators main charters is to to ensure that technical advise on the forums is applicable to Arch users.  We don't want the confusion that ensues if something is only true if you are running "Manjaro Arch" or "ArchBang" or "Evo/lution" or whatever.  Those distributions have, for various valid reasons, chosen to be different from Arch.  It is they who are the experts in the difference, not us; that is why we ask people to take their questions to the forums of their respective distributions.

There is no animosity. There is no competition.  It is about choice; we don't care what people choose or why they choose it.  Proprietary, Free, Mostly Free, Friendly warm communities, rolling release, long term stability, easy to set up, infinitely customizable, whatever.   Yes, we have better relationships with some of the distributions, and there are strained relationships with others.  iaw4, I am sorry you felt "admonished".  I really wish Jeff and everyone else over at Evo/lution the very best, it is just that it is a different distribution and they are the authority on their distribution, not us.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#11 2015-03-20 18:00:50

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

Just for the record, the installer was abandoned due to a lack of maintenance efforts. There is however one available (or close to it) via Archboot. Latter is mentioned in the BG.

As to this "guide", I took a few sentences from it for the BG (for which my thanks), but besides omissions and errors it's brimmed with subjective remarks (e.g "Swap partitions have been obsolete for at least 20 years."). hmm

Last edited by Alad (2015-03-20 18:04:52)

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

Board footer