You are not logged in.

#476 2015-02-18 09:04:57

ElectricPrism

Re: Pantheon Shell on Archlinux

d_rail wrote:

Update: I got super-wingpanel installed thanks to quequotion.  But, I really like the opacity changing effect from wingpanel-bzr, so going to stick with that.  I also got indicator-datetime installed by actually reading the comments on aur:

dkreuter wrote:

cd into src/indicator-datetime-12.10.2/src and run 'make timedated.h', then cd out and use 'makepkg -esi'

Can you elaborate as to the exact code please? Here's what I'm trying which fails.

yaourt -S  indicator-datetime

cd /tmp/yaourt-tmp-$USER/aur-indicator-datetime/src/indicator-datetime-12.10.2/src
sudo make timedated.h
cd ../
makepkg -esi

Last edited by ElectricPrism (2015-02-18 09:05:24)

#477 2015-02-18 12:34:44

quequotion
Website

d_rail wrote:

I really like the opacity changing effect from wingpanel-bzr

It is a nice effect; super-wingpanel has an "autohide" option that scrolls the whole thing up and off the screen when the mouse isn't over it. It's not as flashy, but it saves a little extra screen space. If you also use the option to separate the application menu, the two parts will autohide independently. There's also an "intellihide" option and plank offers both as well. My default desktop state is completely open screen space.

ElectricPrism wrote:

I installed "pantheon-3d" on a fresh Arch Install. This is the 4th revision I've made to my Arch Pantheon Install guide since I started to use Pantheon on Arch last month.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cKC … sp=sharing

Thanks for trying it out! This is a very nice install log!

ElectricPrism wrote:

I can't install datetime, message notifier, and also that the Logout / Suspend / Hibernate and Shutdown commands don't work by default.

Indicators... For the most part I stick to the bzr versions of everything indicator-related. It's not just my ricer obsession with having the latest, greatest whatever: it's the only way to get anything close to a consistent API throughout the entire "indicator" platform. I intend to go back to stable release versions some day and make sure everything works, but my previous two attempts were complete disasters learning experiences.

ElectricPrism wrote:

404 - Optional Dependencies Not Found
indicator-application-pantheon-bzr
indicator-datetime-pantheon-bzr
indicator-messages-pantheon-bzr
indicator-printers-pantheon-bzr
indicator-session-pantheon-bzr
indicator-sound-pantheon-bzr

Check pantheon-bzr-qq for these; the packaging needs some fine tuning before I upload them to AUR.

ElectricPrism wrote:

the stock background for Compiz is Black, is there a place in dconf or elsewhere I can edit that?

Yes, but make sure compiz is using GSettings for it's configuration backend. d_rail had the same question a few posts back.

ElectricPrism wrote:

Thank you so much smile, Pantheon 3d so far is the snappiest of all the Arch Pantheon sessions I've tried.

I hope to include any helpful information in my guide as I intend to use this arch pantheon concoction on about 5 PCs as well as release the guide on the Elementary Google+ Community again once it installs & configures nicely.

Awesome! That reminds me that I was waiting for moderation approval to update the Ubuntu guide.

Last edited by quequotion (2015-02-19 05:44:57)

#478 2015-02-19 06:41:06

ElectricPrism

In the case of getting a black screen, I needed to change the Compiz backend from ini to gsettings - this did the trick, I also posted it to pantheon-3d AUR comments.

# Set Compiz Backend to use GSettings
sed -i 's/backend = ini/backend = gsettings/g' ~/.config/compiz-1/compizconfig/config

I was then able to access Compiz Settings via Slingshot Menu and set the wallpaper.

Other than that to make it usable I would need
A. Logout / Restart / Shutdown I saw you did some poking around mid last year
B. Date / Time Indicator
C. Application Indicators
D. Network Indicator
E. Power Indicator
F. Volume Indicator
G. Keyboard Shortcuts to launch Custom Apps

I suppose a Conky Time Background could indirectly solve B.

@Queqution - do you have partial solutions to any of these on your git repo?

#479 2015-02-19 10:03:09

quequotion
Website

ElectricPrism wrote:

In the case of getting a black screen, I needed to change the Compiz backend from ini to gsettings - this did the trick, I also posted it to pantheon-3d AUR comments.

sed -i 's/backend = ini/backend = gsettings/g' ~/.config/compiz-1/compizconfig/config 

Should I put this in the packaging? It means adding gconf to depends(), which should have been in optdepends() all along. I suppose gconf is going to be installed anyway as a dependency of the pantheon components, so it doesn't really change install size and forcing the choice of configuration backend probably won't break anything.

ElectricPrism wrote:

do you have partial solutions to any of these on your git repo?

Yes.

• indicator-session-pantheon-bzr - works, too well.
    Some of the menu options are duplicated in two, separated sections of the menu, as if it were sourcing "Lock/Switch Account..., Logout, Hibernate, Suspend" and "Logout..., Suspend, Hibernate, Restart, Shutdown..." from different subsystems (there are at least three available: gnome-session, lightdm, and systemd). The first section seems to be populated randomly and partially each login and the second always has the same options.... I intend to augment this with Pantheon's own dialogs.

• indicator-datetime-pantheon-bzr - works, for date and time.
    The additional features (calendar sync, schedule display, etc) depend on evolution, which I have not installed. There are some display options in dconf

• indicator-application-pantheon-bzr - works, I think.
    We should start a whole new thread just to sort out the indicator platform (what dependencies are really needed for which indicator models, which applications are using which model, how to make all indicators from all applications work on the same installation, etc.).

• network-manager-applet-ubuntu from AUR or Unity for Arch works.
    I intend to make a bzr(+git?) version of the package later.

• indicator-power-bzr - was more or less working a few days ago.
    It doesn't show at the moment (the indicator-service is running, but the icon is not in the tray...); when it "worked" the menu items often did not appear, but the icon display settings can be set in dconf (show percentage, etc).

• indicator-sound-pantheon-bzr - works.
    It usually has only two options, "Mute, Sound Settings..."; the additional functions are imported from MPRIS-enabled media players (audience and noise are not) and I think direct volume control was removed upstream.

• The compiz plugin "Commands" can do this and gnome-control-center > "Keyboard" > "Shortcuts" can as well. It's possible to make conflicting settings between the two; be careful. I prefer to use gnome-control-center, because the settings are applied by gnome-settings-daemon. Switchboard probably has a "Keyboard" plugin that can interface with gnome-settings-daemon as well.

Last edited by quequotion (2015-02-20 03:59:47)

#480 2015-02-19 13:08:19

SolarAquarion

quequotion wrote:
ElectricPrism wrote:

Should I put this in the packaging? It means adding gconf to depends(), which should have been in optdepends() all along. I suppose gconf is going to be installed anyway as a dependency of the pantheon components, so it doesn't really change install size and forcing the choice of configuration backend probably won't break anything.

ElectricPrism wrote:

do you have partial solutions to any of these on your git repo?

Yes.

• indicator-session-pantheon-bzr - works, too well.
    Some of the menu options are duplicated in two, separated sections of the menu, as if it were sourcing "Lock/Switch Account..., Hibernate, Suspend" and "Logout..., Suspend, Hibernate, Restart, Shutdown..." from different subsystems (there are at least three available: gnome-session, lightdm, and systemd). I intend to augment this with Pantheon's own dialogs.

• indicator-datetime-pantheon-bzr - works, for date and time.
    The additional features (calendar sync, schedule display, etc) depend on evolution, which I have not installed.

• indicator-application-pantheon-bzr - works, I think.
    We should start a whole new thread just to sort out the indicator platform (what dependencies are really needed for which indicator models, which applications are using which model, how to make all indicators from all applications work on the same installation, etc.).

• network-manager-applet-ubuntu from AUR or Unity for Arch works.
    I intend to make a bzr(+git?) version of the package later.

• indicator-power-bzr - was more or less working a few days ago.
    It doesn't show at the moment (the indicator-service is running, but the icon is not in the tray...); when it "worked" the menu items often did not appear, but the icon display settings can be set in dconf (show percentage, etc).

• indicator-sound-pantheon-bzr - works.
    It usually has only two options, "Mute, Sound Settings..."; the additional functions are imported from MPRIS-enabled media players (audience and noise are not) and I think direct volume control was removed upstream.

• The compiz plugin "Commands" can do this and gnome-control-center > "Keyboard" > "Shortcuts" can as well. It's possible to make conflicting settings between the two; be careful. I prefer to use gnome-control-center, because the settings are applied by gnome-settings-daemon. Switchboard probably has a "Keyboard" plugin that can interface with gnome-settings-daemon as well.

Concerning the gsetting stuff you should be putting that in the packaging, it makes stuff easier for us.  Although i have a weird issue with the app menu and how it's "transparent"?

#481 2015-02-19 14:48:55

quequotion
Website

SolarAquarion wrote:

Concerning the gsetting stuff you should be putting that in the packaging, it makes stuff easier for us.  Although i have a weird issue with the app menu and how it's "transparent"?

This is a bug in gtk+3.14. It only seems to affect user windows and not SUID windows. Various windows have sections that may be transparent (unrendered?), even without a compositor. My guess is that a particular type of background is occasionally prevented from rendering.

Last edited by quequotion (2015-02-19 14:56:13)

#482 2015-02-19 15:24:52

SolarAquarion

quequotion wrote:
SolarAquarion wrote:

This is a bug in gtk+3.14. It only seems to affect user windows and not SUID windows. Various windows have sections that may be transparent (unrendered?), even without a compositor. My guess is that a particular type of background is occasionally prevented from rendering.

What would be the fix of that annoyance?

#483 2015-02-20 02:08:54

d_rail

quequotion wrote:

Yes, and maybe add to the Wiki.

Thank you for explaining more about the indicators.  I've been trying to get indicators working for non Elementary apps.  Like variety, dropbox, caffeine, and synapse.  But I have had no luck.  I tried adding "'libapplication.so|variety" to super wingpanel's indicator order using dconf, but doesn't work for me.

#484 2015-02-20 05:27:26

d_rail

ElectricPrism wrote:
d_rail wrote:

Update: I got super-wingpanel installed thanks to quequotion.  But, I really like the opacity changing effect from wingpanel-bzr, so going to stick with that.  I also got indicator-datetime installed by actually reading the comments on aur:

dkreuter wrote:

cd into src/indicator-datetime-12.10.2/src and run 'make timedated.h', then cd out and use 'makepkg -esi'

Can you elaborate as to the exact code please? Here's what I'm trying which fails.

yaourt -S  indicator-datetime

cd /tmp/yaourt-tmp-$USER/aur-indicator-datetime/src/indicator-datetime-12.10.2/src
sudo make timedated.h
cd ../
makepkg -esi

Sorry I missed this the first time.  I usually use yaourt, but for problematic packages I download them and untar them.  What you show looks like what I did, but make sure you cd back to the original folder, "indicator-datetime", if by `cd ..` you mean you only went back to "indicator-datetime-12.10.2".

#485 2015-02-20 10:57:52

quequotion
Website

SolarAquarion wrote:

There isn't one, yet. I could use some help with this. I haven't even made a bug report because I don't understand the issue well enough; I don't think I'd be able to convince the gtk devs that this is their bug without more information. Also, I have a tendency to stick to unsupported, vcs versions of packages.
By the way:

SolarAquarion wrote:

Unable to get org.ayatana.bamf matcher: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.ayatana.bamf: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited: Process org.ayatana.bamf exited with status 1
fish: “plank” terminated by signal SIGTRAP (Trace or breakpoint trap)

Which version of bamf do you have installed?

d_rail wrote:

variety, dropbox, caffeine, and synapse

Perhaps we could find the answer in these packages' Ubuntu packaging. If they work in Unity, they should be compatible with (super-)wingpanel. A lot of the trouble with indicators in Arch results from either missing canonical patches to their dependencies or inconsistent API when the indicators' development follows Ubuntu's release cycle and lags behind the upstream versions of their dependencies that are default in Arch (and canonical just can't stop reinventing every wheel with every major release, so there are seven different kinds of unity and at least two, maybe three different kinds of indicator).

Last edited by quequotion (2015-02-20 12:33:50)

#486 2015-02-20 17:21:14

SolarAquarion

quequotion wrote:
SolarAquarion wrote:

There isn't one, yet. I could use some help with this. I haven't even made a bug report because I don't understand the issue well enough; I don't think I'd be able to convince the gtk devs that this is their bug without more information. Also, I have a tendency to stick to unsupported, vcs versions of packages.
By the way:

SolarAquarion wrote:

Unable to get org.ayatana.bamf matcher: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.ayatana.bamf: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited: Process org.ayatana.bamf exited with status 1
fish: “plank” terminated by signal SIGTRAP (Trace or breakpoint trap)

Which version of bamf do you have installed?

d_rail wrote:

variety, dropbox, caffeine, and synapse

Perhaps we could find the answer in these packages' Ubuntu packaging. If they work in Unity, they should be compatible with (super-)wingpanel. A lot of the trouble with indicators in Arch results from either missing canonical patches to their dependencies or inconsistent API when the indicators' development follows Ubuntu's release cycle and lags behind the upstream versions of their dependencies that are default in Arch (and canonical just can't stop reinventing every wheel with every major release, so there are seven different kinds of unity and at least two, maybe three different kinds of indicator).

I have Unity-for-Arch/bamf-ubuntu 0.5.1.15.04.20150202-1

#487 2015-02-22 22:47:04

SolarAquarion

should i use bamf bzr?

#488 2015-02-26 05:55:16

quequotion
Website

SolarAquarion wrote:

should i use bamf bzr?

I do.... There's a version in pantheon-bzr-qq.
!!ALERT!!
This package might be the test package I made to see if bamf can be packaged (and patched) to install itself according to Arch standards (for inclusion in "community"); still waiting on feedback. I need to sort out some local versions of this package.. As for the software, bamf works but it does seem to get a lot of segfaults (and self-restarts; it always comes back); I have not checked to see of that is normal for bamf.

By the way,

SolarAquarion wrote:

I opened a bug report.

#489 2015-02-26 12:29:56

SolarAquarion

quequotion wrote:
SolarAquarion wrote:

should i use bamf bzr?

I do.... There's a version in pantheon-bzr-qq.
!!ALERT!!
This package might be the test package I made to see if bamf can be packaged (and patched) to install itself according to Arch standards (for inclusion in "community"); still waiting on feedback. I need to sort out some local versions of this package.. As for the software, bamf works but it does seem to get a lot of segfaults (and self-restarts; it always comes back); I have not checked to see of that is normal for bamf.

By the way,

SolarAquarion wrote:

I opened a bug report.

It includes a dbus service file right?

#490 2015-02-26 21:49:23

quequotion
Website

SolarAquarion wrote:

Mine includes a systemd service which might be deprecated.

#491 2015-02-26 22:01:44

SolarAquarion

quequotion wrote:
SolarAquarion wrote:

Mine includes a systemd service which might be deprecated.

I saw as a reply on a bug tracker related to it that it might need a dbus service

Hmm, it's there?

Last edited by SolarAquarion (2015-02-26 22:18:25)

#492 2015-03-12 10:43:40

yforster

I'm used to using gala surrounded by the whole xfce4 environment. But starting gala there results in a segfault. It works if I start gala as super user, but then everything is running as root.

Using the phanteon lightdm file works finde, but I'd like to have xfce4 around.

Has anybody encountered this problem already? Starking gala directly or via cerbere makes no difference.

#493 2015-03-15 16:12:28

quequotion
Website

yforster wrote:

I'm used to using gala surrounded by the whole xfce4 environment. But starting gala there results in a segfault.

You're not running gala and xfwm at the same time right?

I can't follow this sentence... what do you mean by lightdm file?

Last edited by quequotion (2015-03-15 16:15:59)

#494 2015-03-23 07:51:24

yforster

quequotion wrote:
yforster wrote:

I'm used to using gala surrounded by the whole xfce4 environment. But starting gala there results in a segfault.

You're not running gala and xfwm at the same time right?

No, I'm using the lightdm xfce session file, but do not start xfwm4. Instead, I try to start gala, which does not work.

quequotion wrote:
yforster wrote:

I can't follow this sentence... what do you mean by lightdm file?

There's a pantheon session file for lightdm (and other display managers). Using this, gala starts fine.

I now figured out, that running gala with --sm-disable (or, alternatively, as root) works, but segfaults without this argument. This is a workaround, but still not optimal.

#495 2015-03-24 03:32:07

d_rail

yforster wrote:

No, I'm using the lightdm xfce session file, but do not start xfwm4. Instead, I try to start gala, which does not work.

Probably not what you want to hear, but gdm works well for me.  I've always had problems with lightdm, though.

#496 2015-03-24 07:50:12

yforster

d_rail wrote:
yforster wrote:

Probably not what you want to hear, but gdm works well for me.  I've always had problems with lightdm, though.

Interesting, I can not reproduce this. Starting the xfce environment via gdm or lightdm makes no difference for me, gala still crashes if not started with --sm-disable.

#497 2015-04-10 00:00:34

quequotion
Website

SolarAquarion wrote:

Good news: Looks like this has been fixed.
Bad news: Only in the upstream development tip.

Usually that would be a huge problem, because gtk3-git does not include the Canonical patches that make indicators and such work, but I did just revamp gtk3-git-ubuntu, if you're crazy enough to install a double-bleeding-edge package.

#498 2015-04-15 20:17:03

SolarAquarion

quequotion wrote:
SolarAquarion wrote:

Good news: Looks like this has been fixed.
Bad news: Only in the upstream development tip.

Usually that would be a huge problem, because gtk3-git does not include the Canonical patches that make indicators and such work, but I did just revamp gtk3-git-ubuntu, if you're crazy enough to install a double-bleeding-edge package.

==> Making package: pantheon-workarounds 2-1 (Wed Apr 15 16:12:35 EDT 2015)
==> Checking runtime dependencies...
==> Checking buildtime dependencies...
==> Retrieving sources...
  -> Branching lp:~elementary-os/elementaryos/pantheon-xsession-settings ...
You have not informed bzr of your Launchpad ID, and you must do this to
write to Launchpad or access private data.  See "bzr help launchpad-login".
Branched 63 revisions.                                                         
  -> Found pantheon-session.sh
  -> Found pantheon-schema.patch
  -> Found gnome-fallback-media-keys-helper-pantheon.desktop
==> Validating source files with sha512sums...
    pantheon-session ... Skipped
    pantheon-session.sh ... Passed
    pantheon-schema.patch ... Passed
    gnome-fallback-media-keys-helper-pantheon.desktop ... Passed
==> Extracting sources...
  -> Creating working copy of pantheon-session bzr repo...
==> Starting prepare()...                                                     
You have not informed bzr of your Launchpad ID, and you must do this to
write to Launchpad or access private data.  See "bzr help launchpad-login".
patching file org.pantheon.desktop.gala.gschema.xml
Hunk #1 FAILED at 1.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file org.pantheon.desktop.gala.gschema.xml.rej
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in prepare().
    Aborting...
==> ERROR: Makepkg was unable to build .
==> Restart building pantheon-workarounds ? [y/N]

=> Applying bzg_gtkcellrenderer_grabbing_modifier.patch ...
==> Applying ubuntu_gtk_custom_menu_items.patch ...
==> Applying print-dialog-show-options-of-remote-dnssd-printers.patch ...
==> Applying uimanager-guard-against-nested-node-updates.patch ...
==> Applying x-canonical-accel.patch ...
==> Applying message-dialog-restore-traditional-look-on-unity.patch ...
==> Applying 0001-gtk-reftest-Force-icon-theme-to-Adwaita.patch ...
==> Applying 0001-GtkApplication-Prevent-more-crashes-around-shutdown.patch ...
Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!  Skipping patch.
1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file gtk/gtkapplication.c.rej
    Aborting...

Build errors in pantheon-workaround and gtk3-git-ubuntu

#499 2015-04-16 03:22:35

ElectricPrism

SolarAquarion wrote:

Build errors in pantheon-workaround and gtk3-git-ubuntu

I often post short errors to the AUR page itself and flag the package as "out of date" as it no longer builds.

You have to login to AUR though to do that.

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/pant … rkarounds/

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/gtk3-git-ubuntu/

Maybe I'll do a video sometime of installing Pantheon Arch with Alucryd's binaries if anyone's interested.

#500 2015-04-16 16:07:47

quequotion
Website

SolarAquarion wrote:
==> Making package: pantheon-workarounds
==> Applying 0001-GtkApplication-Prevent-more-crashes-around-shutdown.patch ...
Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!  Skipping patch.
1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file gtk/gtkapplication.c.rej

Fixed in both packages!

It's not really a surprise that gtk3-git-ubuntu was broken so quickly.
For pantheon-workarounds, I think the problem was that gala's default gschema have changed (new/removed features?).

Last edited by quequotion (2015-04-18 17:47:08)

Board footer