You are not logged in.

#1 2006-03-23 18:26:42

lidzky

too many modules loaded after kernel upgrade

Hello all!

Today I upgraded my kernel & udev, and now I've noticed that more than 100 modules are loaded!

# lsmod | wc -l

I alread added MOD_AUTOLOAD="n" to my /etc/rc.conf, but it didn't work.

Please anyone tells me whats happening..

Thanks

#2 2006-03-23 18:30:24

lidzky

Re: too many modules loaded after kernel upgrade

I'm wondering if it has to do with initrd image. I'm using a "full" image, instead the one generated by the pacman upgrade proccess.

I'll try to change my initrd and see if it works.

#3 2006-03-23 18:45:31

lidzky

Well, the thing in my above post didn't work sad

I'll try to install a custom kernel, maybe it's less problematic hmm

#4 2006-03-23 18:55:38

sebcactus

Did you remove the non needed stuffs in your /etc/mkinitrd.conf ?
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Initrd

#5 2006-03-23 18:59:48

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Read that - most of those modules are loaded by the initrd.

Now it's time for me to go on my typical rant:  Let's assume you did not have 'lsmod' or /proc - can you tell me what problems these extra modules would cause?
As it stands, you don't like them because of sheer number, but let's pretend you had no way to get this info.
If we discount all but one video driver and network driver (the others should fail to load), as well as extraneous scsi and isdn drivers, loading *every* module is going to take up around 7 megs of ram.  bash alone is 5.  So if you complain about ram size, I ask how many bash sessions you run, without even thinking.  And also, how many apps using > 70 megs you're running.  7 megs is not a big deal.
There are also no wasted CPU cycles when modules are loaded, because they just don't do anything.

Ignoring the output of lsmod, what problems do these modules cause?

#6 2006-03-23 19:37:10

lidzky

marmotte wrote:

Did you remove the non needed stuffs in your /etc/mkinitrd.conf ?

Yes, I did and it helped a lot!  Thanks

phrakture wrote:

Read that - most of those modules are loaded by the initrd.

Now it's time for me to go on my typical rant:  Let's assume you did not have 'lsmod' or /proc - can you tell me what problems these extra modules would cause?
As it stands, you don't like them because of sheer number, but let's pretend you had no way to get this info.
If we discount all but one video driver and network driver (the others should fail to load), as well as extraneous scsi and isdn drivers, loading *every* module is going to take up around 7 megs of ram.  bash alone is 5.  So if you complain about ram size, I ask how many bash sessions you run, without even thinking.  And also, how many apps using > 70 megs you're running.  7 megs is not a big deal.
There are also no wasted CPU cycles when modules are loaded, because they just don't do anything.

Ignoring the output of lsmod, what problems do these modules cause?

Thanks for point that out, I really had no idea about the modules mem / cpu usage.

The problem is that the machine I'm configuring is intended to be a production server, so every meg of ram is important in this case.

I'm pretty sure that Arch is a very good distribution, and I'll try to read all the documentation and avoid this kind of problems.

And about the kernel, I'm compiling a custom one atm, hope that everything goes fine tongue

Thank you guys

Board footer