You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-19 22:49:47

Grokla

Multiple Problems with new Thinkpad X250

Hi,

I know this isn't an appropriate thread title according to the rules, but I thought it better than opening a bunch of Threads.
I have been struggeling to configure Arch (this is also the first time I'm seriously using arch, although I'm not a complete linux newbie) on my new X250 with i5 Broadwell CPU and Intel HD 5000 graphics (I'm probably one of the first to have a X250, which might be the problem in some cases, because the hardware just isn't supported yet) for the last two days. I hope that mabye somebody can point me in the right direction with some of my Issues. Right now I'm on Arch with Awesome WM.

1. Suspend via systemd breaks the X Server completly. Any text that was displayed in any program vanishes after I wake the laptop from suspend. I can't type or do anything. The only option is to force shut down.

2. I cannot get the Trackpoint buttons (this new generation has dedicated buttons again) to work. I have tried any possible configuration I could find on the net. Without Synaptics the left and right button work as expected but I can not use the middle one to scroll with the Trackpoint. With synaptics the Trackpad works but the left and right Trackpoint buttons are suddenly used for scrolling up and down (?!). The middle button does not work.

3. In VLC and mPlayer video looks...weird. Its kind of fragmented, as if there are horizontal bars through the video. I will try to upload a Screenshot. I dont think that its a problem with the players, but If you think it is, I will try something else. I have installed the intel graphics driver.

4. My Fn Keys, except for Volume UP/DOWN/Mute are not recognized. I cannot even get scancodes.

I'm really hoping somebody has at least an idea what I could do to solve those problems.
Thanks!

#2 2015-02-19 22:56:21

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

Re: Multiple Problems with new Thinkpad X250

1. Suspend via systemd breaks the X Server completly. Any text that was displayed in any program vanishes after I wake the laptop from suspend. I can't type or do anything. The only option is to force shut down.

Does it work when suspending from the console? (Ctrl+Alt+F2)

I have tried any possible configuration I could find on the net.

Tell us exactly what you tried anyway.

In VLC and mPlayer video looks...weird. Its kind of fragmented, as if there are horizontal bars through the video

Do you have video acceleration enabled in the respective players?

4. My Fn Keys, except for Volume UP/DOWN/Mute are not recognized. I cannot even get scancodes.

Might be an ACPI issue. ThinkWiki has quite a few (cryptic) resources on this; install acpid and run:

# acpi_listen

and see if you get events

Last edited by Alad (2015-02-19 22:58:57)

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#3 2015-02-19 23:09:24

Grokla

Nothing happens when I try that combination in the console sad

Tell us exactly what you tried anyway.

From the Thinkpad Wiki "How to Configure the Trackpoint":
1. Configuration using xinput
2. Configuration using udev
3. Configuration using sysfs
4. The Configuration of a friend who is using a T430, which was pretty much the Thinkwiki Config with udev all over again

Plus the Configuration described in the Arch wiki Trackpoint page.

Solved it! Thanks!

Might be an ACPI issue. ThinkWiki has quite a few (cryptic) resources on this; install acpid and run:

# acpi_listen

and see if you get events

No new buttons sad Gives me even less than jounralctl -f

Thanks so far!

EDIT: When I run systemctl suspend from the console before starting X I get an error about Undetected Register after waking up... I'll replicate it and post the exact message. When I startx afterwards I have the same problem as explained above.

Last edited by Grokla (2015-02-19 23:17:16)

#4 2015-02-19 23:19:17

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

EDIT: When I run systemctl suspend from the console before starting X I get an error about Undetected Register after waking up... I'll replicate it and post the exact message. When I startx afterwards I have the same problem as explained above.

So suspend/resume does work from the console? (besides the error) Then the graphics driver may be involved

No new buttons sad Gives me even less than jounralctl -f

These two links might help:

http://ebb.org/bkuhn/blog/2014/06/08/vo … d-t60.html (different model)
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_ge … ys_to_work (generic)

As to trackpoint, you're not the only one with this issue, perhaps file a bug similar to this one:

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=88609

Last edited by Alad (2015-02-19 23:21:21)

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#5 2015-02-19 23:26:56

Grokla

I think you might be right about the graphics driver. The error said something about i915... I'll replicate it tomorrow morning!

The Trackpoint Bug report is exactly what I'm experiencing. Thanks for finding it!

Last edited by Grokla (2015-02-19 23:31:38)

#6 2015-02-20 08:11:33

Grokla

The error message after waking up from suspend is: (drm:hsw_unclaimed_reg_detect) ERROR Unclaimed register detected. Please use the i915.mmio_debug=1 to debug.

I seem to not be the only one with this problem but I failed to find a solution for it sad

(sorry for the duble post)

#7 2015-02-20 12:47:20

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

Well do as the error suggests and append  i915.mmio_debug=1 to the kernel command line. That might give some more info for a bug report...

#8 2015-02-20 15:14:49

Grokla

Ok, I'm getting the following Info with the Kernel parameter. This appears as soon as I start waking up the laptop. I can't make anything of it:(

http://pastebin.com/QkKgNT4c

PS: I got the left (with dragging!) and right trackpoint buttons to work with the fix proposed in the Bugreport. Middle Button still not working, but I'm hoping it will be fixed soon smile

Last edited by Grokla (2015-02-20 15:28:34)

#9 2015-02-26 14:59:53

burninggramma

Grokla wrote:

Solved it! Thanks!

I've got this issue as well (on x230). Could you please share the solution for mplayer?

#10 2015-03-20 17:46:28

eworm
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

Grokla wrote:

2. I cannot get the Trackpoint buttons (this new generation has dedicated buttons again) to work. I have tried any possible configuration I could find on the net. Without Synaptics the left and right button work as expected but I can not use the middle one to scroll with the Trackpoint. With synaptics the Trackpad works but the left and right Trackpoint buttons are suddenly used for scrolling up and down (?!). The middle button does not work.

This works with latest linux git. Linux merged changes for 2015 Lenovo Thinkpad lineup:

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kerne … f50d0b3344

ArchLinux - make it simple & lightweight

#11 2015-03-31 15:17:24

aleszoulek

burninggramma wrote:
Grokla wrote:

Solved it! Thanks!

I've got this issue as well (on x230). Could you please share the solution for mplayer?

Had the same issue, this worked for me:

mplayer VIDEOFILE -vo gl_nosw 

or you can put that into config

{~ } cat .mplayer/config
# Write your default config options here!
vo=gl_nosw

If that doesn't work, you can see the possible mplayer's video outputs with

mplayer -vo help

and find the one that works for you.

Board footer