You are not logged in.

#1 2015-04-03 21:38:25

andrekp

New install of mariadb and mysql-workbench - some questions

So I've installed mariadb along with mysql-workbench.  These were fresh installs on a system which has never had mariadb/mysql installed previously.  Per the Wiki, I installed mariadb and mysql-workbench, started and enabled the service, and ran the mysql_secure_installation script.  I then added a non-root user and even imported a database into it.  Everything seems fine, though I have never used either MySQL, mariadb, or mysql-workbench before.

I have a  couple of questions:

Question 1:
When I run mysql-workbench, I have to run it with the command “gksudo mysql-workbench” or it comes up in a locked form that doesn't give me (user) access.  I am presuming that this is simply because my user account is not a member of the mysql group and that if I changed that, I'd be able to run it with a simple “mysql-workbench” command.

The question is: Should I do that, or is there a good security reason to not have the user be a member of the mysql group?  (Would the current setup (having to run “gksudo” be a problem if I installed the mariadb on my server (rather than locally) and mysql-workbench locally?)

The Wiki doesn't say anything about adding the user to the mysql group, so I don't know if that's just an implied standard practice, or if there is good reason not to do so.

Question 2:
When I try to connect to the database with mysql-workbench, it presents me with a password prompt, as expected, then I get a message box that says:

Incompatible/nonstandard server version or connection protocol detected (10.0.17).

A connection to this database can be established but some MySQL Workbench 
features may not work properly since the database is not fully compatible 
with the supported versions of MySQL.

MySQL Workbench is developed and tested for MySQL Server versions 5.1, 5.5, 5.6 and 5.7

Clicking “Continue Anyway” lets me in and connects everything up and seems to work fine.  However, the tab at the top says “Local Instance 33061 - Warning - not supported”.

I presume this has something to do with the fact that I am running mysql-workbench as the front end not to MySQL, but mariadb - and functionality that I've tried seems to work fine. 

So my question is: Is there more to this warning (should I be changing some default setting to make everything play nice), or is this just one of those warnings that mean nothing really, and everything IS playing nice already?

Thanks,
Andre

#2 2015-04-04 07:37:52

kiryo

Re: New install of mariadb and mysql-workbench - some questions

presume this has something to do with the fact that I am running mysql-workbench as the front end not to MySQL, but mariadb - and functionality that I've tried seems to work fine. 

I think its probably as you say.
If everything is working fine don't worry.
I'm using php admin to control mariadb but i think there is not much difference between maradb and MySQL.
If problems appear you can always change to MySQL.

Board footer