You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-27 12:08:58

Eric765

Full system upgrade broke KDE and Networkmanager.

Hi,
It has been a while since I had booted into the arch installation on my laptop. Everything was working fine as it should until I felt like a "paman -Syu" is long due. Now this went smoothly and I was having no issue until the next reboot. Now the problems I face are:
1. I cannot seem to get the KDE Network widget to connect to my wifi. It just shows configuring network and occasionally asks for the pass-phrase again and again. Right now I have to stop the Networkmanager.service and use the classic wifi-menu utility to get it connect.
2. KDE apps malfunctioning: I occasionally keep getting the message "Apper has crashed".
3. Konsole and firefox,etc looks messed up: They're not using the KDE theme I use as they did before
4. Konsole seems to have reset my color scheme settings. Is there any way to get my old settings back? (From a file or something rather than tweaking them again?)
4. Print Screen does not work. I had configured khotkeys to open ksnapshot on pressing the prnt scr key, but that no longer works.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

#2 2015-03-27 13:21:50

dice

Re: Full system upgrade broke KDE and Networkmanager.

First step would be to look what packages exactly got upgraded. How long was the last update ago?
Also check what journalctl is saying in all of those cases

I put at button on it. Yes. I wish to press it, but I'm not sure what will happen if I do.  (Gune | Titan A.E.)

#3 2015-03-27 18:54:27

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Not a Pacman Issue, moving to NC...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#4 2015-03-28 09:07:01

Eric765

@Dice: I have no idea as to what packages were upgraded, the list was too long that I didn't take note. Is there a way to get the list now?
1. Anyway I had some luck with the first problem: I was using kdeplasma-applets-networkmanagement which is apparently considered legacy now according to arch wiki on NetworkManager, so the solution was to install kdeplasma-applets-plasma-nm package instead
2. Apper no longer seems to be maintained at the AUR so I'm guessing it's time to say good bye to it, sadly.
But the rest of my problems still prevail:
* How to make konsole and firefox use the kde theme?
* How to map Print Screen key properly to open ksnapshot? The KDE Control Center module says that the key is indeed assigned to ksnapshot but it just doesn't work.

#5 2015-03-28 09:46:04

dice

See /var/log/pacman.log for what was upgraded.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Un … plications

Does ksnapshot itself work? i.e. not invoked through your keybinding

I put at button on it. Yes. I wish to press it, but I'm not sure what will happen if I do.  (Gune | Titan A.E.)

#6 2015-03-28 14:01:11

Eric765

I thought Konsole was a native KDE app? And it was working fine before the upgrade..? Anyway I'll give it a go.
And yes, knsapshot works fine when invoked from the terminal.

#7 2015-03-28 17:06:38

Soukyuu

The problem with current state of KDE is that arch being a rolling release, we're also being transitioned from KDE4 to KDE5 as apps get ported to it. Which means some of the apps are still KDE4 and read KDE4 settings, while others are KDE5 apps and those read the KDE5 settings.
I believe that is why your Konsole has lost the color scheme - there is no config for it in kde5 yet. You should be able to reconfigure it again though. Maybe finding the settings in ~/.kde4/share/apps/konsole and moving them to wherever KDE5 is saving the settings now. I froze all packages that already migrated to KDE5 so I'm not too knowledgeable about where exactly that is.

[ Arch x86_64 | linux | Framework 13 | AMD Ryzen™ 5 7640U | 32GB RAM | KDE Plasma Wayland ]

#8 2015-03-28 19:53:02

SirMyztiq

I'm configuring my Arch as we speak(for the fourth time, just can't get it right. But it's a learning process for me and now I GET what I'm doing when I do stuff)

Anyways, when you login for the first time after a reboot or you power it on, what does

systemctl status dhcpcd.service

Give you?

#9 2015-03-31 07:43:34

Eric765

@Soukyuu: Thanx for the tip, I figured out that the kde5 config directory for konsole is ~/.local/share/konsole I found my old settings under ~/.kde4/share/apps/konsole as you mentioned and moved it there, and it works smile
@SirMyztiq: In case you're not aware, dhcp client daemon comes into picture after you've established physical connection to the network. Anyways, as I mentioned already, I solved the issue by upgrading to kdeplasma-applets-plasma-nm widget
Now the only problems that remain for me are:
* Print Screen key not binding, even if khotkeys says so.
* konsole and firefox not adapting to my theme: I tried both gtk-kde4  and gtk-qt-engine, still no good.

#10 2015-03-31 11:37:57

Soukyuu

For hotkeys, someone mentioned you have to keep resetting them to default until you stop getting messages about conflicting bindings, then it should start working again.

gtk-kde4, as the name says, is for kde4. What you need is kde-gtk-config-frameworks.
The wiki also states that for qt4 you will need to install kde4-breeze and set it as a theme in qtconfig-qt4

[ Arch x86_64 | linux | Framework 13 | AMD Ryzen™ 5 7640U | 32GB RAM | KDE Plasma Wayland ]

#11 2015-04-04 07:47:01

Eric765

@Soukyuu: It seems I have another package kde-gtk-config installed already which is in conflict with the kde-gtk-config-frameworks. What is the difference between these two? Which one is recommended? Is there something I should do after installing kde-gtk-config-frameworks? I never saw this package being mentioned anywhere in the wiki.
And yeah, I did reset and the print screen key is not in conflict with any other key, still the same.
Edit: I reverted back to kde-gtk-config as the kde-gtk-config-frameworks seemed to make firefox even more ugly. Also, I noticed that System Settings->Application Appearance-> GTK is no longer there if you install the frameworks version.

Last edited by Eric765 (2015-04-04 07:54:48)

Board footer