You are not logged in.

#1 2015-04-04 13:05:46

Jonathan Precise

[SOLVED] NetworkManager not letting me connect to the internet.

Hello everyone,

I normally connect to my WiFi using wifi-menu each start-up, but since I'm coming from Ubuntu in this laptop, and want the NetworkManager integration in GNOME, as well as automatically connecting to my preferred network on startup, I decided to install NetworkManager and network-manager-applet, as well as networkmanager-openvpn and networkmanager-pptp for vpn support.

Unfortunately, enabling the NetworkManager service and starting the NetworkManager service (first disabling the netctl@wlo1\x2dCasa.service and wpa_supplicant.service) disconnects me from WiFi, and connecting to my network asks for the password (WPA2 Personal), after 50 seconds it asks for the password again, and goes on forever, unless one presses "Cancel" and it disconnects.

I'm new to Arch Linux (not to Linux in general, as I actually used Ubuntu since 2009, and have some command-line experience), so if this seems like an easy task, or a rookie mistake, please bear with me.

Is any more info required? Log files?

-Jonathan

Last edited by Jonathan Precise (2015-04-04 13:36:19)

-Jonathan
HP 2000 Notebook PC, dual-booting Windows 8.1 (mostly unused) with Arch Linux (GNOME 3.16 as daily driver)

#2 2015-04-04 13:16:33

Xabre

Re: [SOLVED] NetworkManager not letting me connect to the internet.

(First disabling the netctl@wlo1\x2dCasa.service and wpa_supplicant.service)

NetworkManager uses wpa_supplicant for WiFi networks, I suspect you messed up something there.

Last edited by Xabre (2015-04-04 13:16:47)

#3 2015-04-04 13:35:36

Jonathan Precise

Yes, you are indeed right Xabre, I stopped netctl@wlo1\x2dCasa.service, but not wpa_supplicant.service, and enabled that last one. Now NetworkManager runs perfect!

EDIT: I'm imagining that's how you mark this thread as solved? Or is there another method?

-Jonathan

Last edited by Jonathan Precise (2015-04-04 13:37:19)

-Jonathan
HP 2000 Notebook PC, dual-booting Windows 8.1 (mostly unused) with Arch Linux (GNOME 3.16 as daily driver)

#4 2015-04-04 17:48:26

ewaller
Administrator

Jonathan Precise wrote:

EDIT: I'm imagining that's how you mark this thread as solved? Or is there another method?

-Jonathan

Perfect.  That is how it is done smile

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer