You are not logged in.

#1 2015-04-05 20:42:10

5donuts

direct-connect inside network with dynamically assigned IP-addresses

I have 13+GiB of files to transfer between two computers (one arch and one Win7) and would rather not spend the day moving them ~1GiB at a time via flashdrives.

I have tried setting up an ad-hoc network on the win7 machine, but wifi-menu fails to connect to it.

I have tried setting up an ssh server on the arch machine and accessing it via PuTTY on the Win7 machine.

I have tried setting up an apache server on the arch machine and accessing it via firefox on the Win7 machine.

I do not have the permissions to statically assign ip addresses on the network, and need to somehow directly connect between these two computers.  Any suggestions?

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. --Terry Pratchett

#2 2015-04-05 20:59:41

scryan

Re: direct-connect inside network with dynamically assigned IP-addresses

winscp should be able to do it over ssh? Its a local network though? The encryption will slow it down quite a bit...
But why not just samba?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Samba

Samba is a re-implementation of the SMB/CIFS networking protocol, it facilitates file and printer sharing among Linux and Windows systems as an alternative to NFS.

Last edited by scryan (2015-04-05 21:00:20)

#3 2015-04-05 22:03:38

5donuts

I've spent the last hour or so trying to set up samba, but I can't figure out how to connect to a Windows shared folder with smbclient, and just cd-ing into the mountpoint doesn't work since access is denied

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. --Terry Pratchett

#4 2015-04-05 22:17:26

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

5donuts wrote:

I've spent the last hour or so trying to set up samba, but I can't figure out how to connect to a Windows shared folder with smbclient, and just cd-ing into the mountpoint doesn't work since access is denied

Post the exact commands that you are using and the exact error messages that you receive.

For mounting windows shares I use variations of the following command:

mount -t cifs //<windows ip address or host name>/<windows share name> /mnt/foo -o nosetuids,uid=<your local user id>,gid=<your local group id>,user=<windows user name>,workgroup=<windows workgroup>

Have you tried something similar? It should "just work".

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#5 2015-04-05 22:36:37

ewaller
Administrator

Is this a one time thing?    Every Windows machine I use more than once has Arch running inside VirtualBox.  I access host drives by "sharing" them and mounting on the guest as vboxsf filesystems.  This even works for Active directory drives. From there, use rsync inside the guest  to transfer to/from the Arch Box  (Only because I always set up my guest networks as NAT so the guest does not appear on the corporate network)

Believe it or not, I would install VirtualBox and install Arch.  Just a simple install, no X, no DE.  Takes about 15 minutes start to finish after which life is much nicer.

Last edited by ewaller (2015-04-05 22:37:17)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#6 2015-04-06 00:19:29

5donuts

Xyne wrote:

Have you tried something similar? It should "just work".

I followed the instructions at Samba#Creating_a_share, Samba#Starting_services, and Samba#Automatic_mounting, but the article didn't really explain how to use Samba (at least, not in a way that I understood).

#7 2015-04-06 00:55:41

whatshisname

Last couple of times I've set up Samba, the gotcha I ran into was that I had to add the Windows user to the Arch server running samba.

So, on your Arch server ...

useradd WINDOWS_USER
   pdbedit -a -u WINDOWS_USER

Maybe that will help get you to the Samba promised land.

I'll be happy to post my smb.conf file if that will help.

Board footer