You are not logged in.

#1 2006-03-25 18:27:14

tubasoldier

New To Arch - alsaconf not working.

I am new to Arch Linux. I just recently installed it. I was drawn to it because I wanted to learn more about linux and how it works. I was using Slackware but it was just too basic. And then I heard about Arch linux. Pacman is awesome.
    It took me about a week to finally build up the courage to install a distro that was touted as being no hand holding involved. But after RTFM, I would have to say that it was not really as hard as it is made out to be. I love the speed of Arch Linux. It is much faster than the resource hungry Mandriva. Yes, I know. But it was the best way for me to start using linux. I am no linux expert but I no longer consider myself a linux noob. I would say that I am a noob to the command line though. Sometimes it is easier when someone is holding your hand. That is one of the bad side effects of using Mandriva. Now I am ready to move on.
  However the only issue I have with Arch linux thus far is that I can not seem to get my sound card working. I have a Sound Blaster Audigy. I ran alsaconf and it did not set up properly. Any ideas on what else I could do to get it working using ALSA?
    My fonts look really awful as well. When I first installed arch they looked just fine. But then I installed the Nvidia Drivers and all the sudden they look like garbage. They look very pixelated and awfully small. I have searched for answers on this but have not had the time to sit down and fix the issue.
  So all and all Arch linux looks like a great replacement for my reliance on Mandriva's graphical tools. It is also much much faster.  I never understood Mandriva compiling the kernel at i586. It would never run on one anyways.
    Pacman has so far been a great installation tool. But a graphical installer that would allow you to select multiple packages at once as well as keep track of what you have installed would be very nice. That way you would not have to wonder if you had installed a package or not. But on the good side, once everything is installed all updates can be done with one simple command.
  Way to go to Arch linux and its community!

#2 2006-03-25 18:49:33

McQueen

Re: New To Arch - alsaconf not working.

There's a good wiki section on configuring alsa.
Have you followed those steps??

/path/to/Truth

#3 2006-03-25 19:26:17

tyme
Website

Pacman has so far been a great installation tool. But a graphical installer that would allow you to select multiple packages at once as well as keep track of what you have installed would be very nice. That way you would not have to wonder if you had installed a package or not. But on the good side, once everything is installed all updates can be done with one simple command.

check out this thread for some GUI pacman front-ends.

#4 2006-03-25 19:40:37

tubasoldier

Wow, replies already. This community is sweet! I did not know about that thread on how to configure alsa. Thanks for the information McQueen.
Tyme, Thanks for the info on a gui for pacman. I will look into it. But first things first, I need to get my sound working.

#5 2006-03-25 19:53:54

stingray

tubasoldier wrote:

I'm very new to Linux and Arch, so take anything I say from that perspective...

This will update everything with one simple command. (sync,refresh pacage list,upgrade)

# pacman -Syu  

This will query all installed packages for names or descriptions that match. For example "mplayer".  So you don't have to wonder what you have installed, you can know real fast.

# pacman -Qs mplayer

Yes GUI is fun, but pacman seams very powerful as is.  I'm looking forward to trying one of the GUI frontends, but havn't yet.

#6 2006-03-25 20:00:27

tyme
Website

and if you want a lot of info about a package, this is a great command:

# pacman -Qi mplayer

(package must be installed)

Board footer