You are not logged in.

#1 2006-03-25 07:52:24

enigmabr

K8M800 graphics poor performance (S3 Via Unichrome Pro)

Hi!

I have an averatec av3270 notebook with S3 Unichrome PRO graphics(K8M800)

I changed my xorg.conf with "via" driver, enabling dri, glx and EnableAGPDMA option. But when I run Xorg., it takes several seconds to show something....
When the window manager loads (any window manager) the performance to moving and dragging windows is poor, acessing menus is slow...

I install the gnome 2.14 and the performance is poor, but the performance with gnome installed in my PC with nvidia FX5200 graphics is very superior, gnome is blazing here. Well, I admit this comparison is not so good because nvidia's hardware and my HD with 7200rpm (hd's notebook spins at 4200rpm) makes the difference, but I think that the via graphics could be a little faster...

I run hdparm on the notebook and the results are fine: 30Mb/s...

Someone can help me??

Thanks!

#2 2006-03-25 20:30:26

sud_crow
Website

Re: K8M800 graphics poor performance (S3 Via Unichrome Pro)

The problem is with the VIA driver, maybe you should check the this two projects:

http://www.openchrome.org/

http://unichrome.sourceforge.net/

Leonardo Andrés Gallego
www.archlinux-es.org || Comunidad Hispana de Arch Linux

#3 2006-03-26 02:05:34

enigmabr

Re: K8M800 graphics poor performance (S3 Via Unichrome Pro)

Thank you!

I already tried use the xf86-video-unichrome driver and something strange happens: when I run Xorg the screen brightes as two comets with brown and purple colors like some presentation and after this the screen becomes black. Then I have to press ctrl+shift+backspace to back to console screen....

I will check the openchrome website.
Do not exist any packages about openchrome project in the archlinux repositories?

Thanks again!

Board footer