You are not logged in.

#1 2006-03-25 18:38:31

Galdona

which daemons?

whichi demons should i put in rc.conf? portmap, hal, dbus, fam are mentioned in the wiki on installing gnome, and there is some discussion in several threads, but otherwise i did not find any definitive advice on which daemons should be loaded.

(i hope i dont get a "load what you need" answer because i dont know what i need!)

(i installed gnome but the mouse is so slow, and adjusting its speed has no effect.)

what i want is a "fully working" system, and i did not even know about those four daemons before. the gnome wiki says to use those four, but should i only use them if i intend to use gnome?

and what is all this about hwd, hwdetect, udev, hotplug, lshwd...  :shock: ?  which of these do you use?
i feel that i am missing something important...

#2 2006-03-25 18:51:38

colnago

Re: which daemons?

You don't need very many,  here is what I have for kde...

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng network crond portmap cups dbus hal)

You don't have to worry too much about "hwd, hwdetect, udev, hotplug, lshwd".  The package maintainers have done all the work.  This was not the case during transitions (eg to udev or from hotplug), but that is basically over.   It is only an issue if you don't want udev or require hotplug for some reason.

#3 2006-03-25 18:52:39

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Don't worry about the hwd/hwdetect/udev stuff, it should do that automatically for you assuming you have MOD_AUTOLOAD = Y in your rc.conf (the default).

As for daemons, its not what you need, but what you want. You may want alsa in there to restore your mixer settings. You definitely want network in there to load your internet settings. You may want syslog-ng to have improved log messages in /var/log (in case things go wrong! wink)  You may want crond in there to automatically execute commands at preset intervals. If you don't know or care about these last two you don't need them.

If you want to use a graphical login, you might want to put gdm in there.

Other than that, they're on an as-needed basis. The list of available installed daemons is in /etc/rc.d, you can look in there to see if there's anything else that looks interesting.

Dusty

#4 2006-03-25 19:42:55

Sander

Dusty wrote:

If you want to use a graphical login, you might want to put gdm in there.

Though it should be mentioned that this is not the 'cleanest' way to accomplish this.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Add … on_startup describes both methods. The 2nd one gives best results imho (the one mentioned here kindof renders runlevel 3 useless, because it'll always start your login manager, nomatter what the runlevel is).

You like cheese? You like peas? You'll love cheezy peas!

#5 2006-03-25 20:27:30

Galdona

wow, thanks!

ok, here's my daemons array
DAEMONS=(syslog-ng portmap fam dbus hal network netfs crond @adsl)

is this an ok setup? im using the alternate method that Sander mentioned for kdm.

colnago: you dont have fam and netfs. i think i got netfs there by default. fam (file alteration monitor) i added because it was recommended in the gnome wiki, although im using kde.
are fam and netfs unnecessary?

(i dont understand the portmap man page at all! but portmap was also recommended in the wiki. )

which daemons do you think are "basic", that everyone who uses a DE such as kde should use?

Dusty: I dont have alsa in rc.d, but i do have jack-audio-connection-kit. i havent explored on that yet.

#6 2006-03-25 20:43:43

colnago

Hi again,

I use kde and I think it has a built in fam replacement (via inotify?) or something.  I took fam out @ KDE 3.5 and never noticed a difference. 

There is also gamin (maybe you need testing repository in pacman for it?) which does the same thing as fam except for remote file stuff.  It does not need a daemon.

As for netfs, it is only needed to mount network file systems: nfs, smbfs, codafs, cifs.  If you don't use any, you don't need it.

If you are sticking with fam and notice it dying, change the idle timeout to 0 in /etc/fam/fam.conf

Cheers.

#7 2006-03-25 21:00:00

Sander

fam is the File Alteration Monitor. I believe Nautilus (and also Thunar) uses it to refresh the directories you are viewing if the contents changed. You don't strictly need it, but I like this functionality so I added it in my own DAEMONS line. It's possible that KDE apps use something else to see if dirs' contents change, so you might not need it at all.

fam requires portmap to work, so that's probably why it was also recommended. There may be other stuff that portmap is useful for, but I have no idea what that stuff would be wink

You like cheese? You like peas? You'll love cheezy peas!

#8 2006-03-25 22:13:34

Gullible Jones

KDE and Gnome 2.14 both use inotify, so if you're not monitoring remote files you don't need FAM. I'm not sure about Thunar, but I wouldn't be surprised if it also used inotify.

#9 2006-03-26 00:02:29

Galdona

i just discovered that if i dont have hwd in my daemons, i get an error msg:

error while initializing the sound driver, device /dev/dsp cant be opened, no such file or directory. ...sound will continue using null output device.

i do have

MOD_AUTOLOAD="yes" in rc.conf

, so i guess i still need hwd in there. why is that?

#10 2006-03-26 01:16:38

Gullible Jones

Do you have anything in /etc/modprobe.conf?

#11 2006-03-27 19:42:59

Galdona

yes, this is my modprobe.conf:

#
# /etc/modprobe.conf (for v2.6 kernels)
#

# OSS Compatibility
install snd-pcm modprobe -i snd-pcm ; modprobe snd-pcm-oss ; true
install snd-seq modprobe -i snd-seq ; modprobe snd-seq-oss ; true

#12 2006-03-27 20:47:31

Gullible Jones

Get rid of both lines, they can apparently mess up OSS emulation with the current version of uDev.

#13 2006-03-28 17:40:31

Galdona

yes, that seems to work. thankee. smile

Board footer