You are not logged in.

#1 2015-04-15 22:11:00

matcharles

[SOLVED] Can't view flash videos on certain sites

Hello all,

I've had this weird problem since I switched over for good on Arch. I use firefox and when I try to watch videos on tsn.ca (example here: http://www.tsn.ca/video/canadiens-prepa … -1.257804), I get an error in lieu of the video telling me "To watch video, you need an Adobe Flash Player Update.Please click to download. Get Adobe Flash player". The problem is that it works on almost any other site with flash.

Here I can see the box jumping up and down: https://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

And...

pacman -Qt flashplugin
flashplugin 11.2.202.451-1

I have the same problem under chromium, but would rather have that working in firefox anyways.

What I tried so far:
-Latest versions of firefox and flashplugin
-Deleted my firefox pluginreg.dat
-Checked the wiki (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Br … ns#Upgrade) but couldn't find anything that looked like my problem.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks very much!

Last edited by matcharles (2015-04-16 11:15:49)

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.
    - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

#2 2015-04-15 22:16:17

nullified

Re: [SOLVED] Can't view flash videos on certain sites

matcharles wrote:

I get an error in lieu of the video telling me "To watch video, you need an Adobe Flash Player Update.Please click to download. Get Adobe Flash player". The problem is that it works on almost any other site with flash.

Almost any other site? Or every other site? That is, have you actually had trouble with another site. If not, the problem probably has something to do with that particular site. I see the same error, and I haven't had trouble with flash anywhere else.

"We may say most aptly, that the Analytical Engine weaves algebraical patterns just as the Jacquard-loom weaves flowers and leaves." - Ada Lovelace

#3 2015-04-15 22:17:08

lucke

Have you tried the truly latest version of flashplugin? Because Arch's version isn't the latest available (out of 11.2.*).

#4 2015-04-15 23:03:31

matcharles

nullified wrote:
matcharles wrote:

I get an error in lieu of the video telling me "To watch video, you need an Adobe Flash Player Update.Please click to download. Get Adobe Flash player". The problem is that it works on almost any other site with flash.

Almost any other site? Or every other site? That is, have you actually had trouble with another site. If not, the problem probably has something to do with that particular site. I see the same error, and I haven't had trouble with flash anywhere else.

I meant it doesn't do this on almost every other site. I'm glad to know you can't see them either, that means it must be something on their end.

@lucke - I haven't tried the latest proper but I was under the impression that chromium was using the 17-release, and I still have the same problem with it.

Last edited by matcharles (2021-03-26 23:22:18)

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.
    - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

#5 2015-04-15 23:20:18

lucke

Chromium uses version 17 if you have https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/chro … per-flash/ installed (and enabled). If you do have it, make sure it's the latest version.

Today BBC Player or somesuch wouldn't work on my dad's Ubuntu because flashplugin wasn't updated.

Last edited by lucke (2015-04-15 23:23:16)

#6 2015-04-16 11:15:29

matcharles

It does indeed work with the pepper plugin. Thanks guys as usual!

- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Board footer