You are not logged in.

#1 2015-04-16 01:24:25

ncage

Trying to install and expected UEFI (gummiboot) and thats not what i g

Hello everyone. I've been practicing in VMWare installing arch in vmware using UEFI so i could prepare to install arch on my main workstation. Unfortunately, I attempted to install arch today (booting from CD) and what i got is not what i expected. My motherboard is a biostar TZ77B. Its compatible with UEFI spec 2.3. So i booted off the CD and i noticed from the boot menu on the cd that it wasn't using gummiboot but i booted off the cd anyways and /sys/firmware/efi did not exist and efivar -l just errors out. So i went into the bios on my motherboard and searched for anything that would say it was doing some type of bios emulation. The only thing i could find is "PCI Compatible ROM" which i switched to EFI and didn't make any difference. Does this mean when i go to install arch i should just use the bios instructions instead of the UEFI instructions? Is this going to greatly complicate my install? I tried to gather as much info from the UEFI part of the wiki that i could but unfortunately with my experience level at this point i wasn't able to figure out whats going on or where i should go from here.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.....

#2 2015-04-16 02:14:20

headkase

Re: Trying to install and expected UEFI (gummiboot) and thats not what i g

The setting in your firmware that decides whether or not you will boot in UEFI mode is "Compatibility Support Module."  If that is enabled then you will boot in legacy BIOS mode.  If it is disabled then you will boot in UEFI mode.  Be wary, all your hardware must be UEFI compatible to disable the CSM.  If it is not then the firmware will just enable it again.

#3 2015-04-16 04:27:52

ewaller
Administrator

The iso does not use gummiboot, but will boot directly  with secureboot enabled.   Gumiboot can be intalled later in the installation as your boot loader, but you will need to turn off secureboot to use gumiboot

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2015-04-16 15:57:27

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

The compatibility mode may also be called "Legacy" mode -- make sure this (or "CSM") is disabled.

The Arch live ISO should boot up to the gummiboot menu if it is booting in EFI-mode.

It is possible to install the gummiboot loader binary and the configuration files whilst not booted in EFI-mode but no NVRAM entries can be made so the system will not boot.

It is possible to add an NVRAM entry for gummiboot manually at a later date but only by booting an ISO image in EFI-mode & using the `efibootmgr` command.

Board footer