You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-27 13:17:35

shudouken

gpicview unable to animate gifs after (one of the last) upgrades

https://0x0.st/Kp.webm
Top is gpicview, bottom is imagemagick

I don't really know what gpicview is using to display gifs or what exactly caused the error, it used to work just fine a couple of days ago.
I tried downgrading the giflib package, since it was the only one I have installed that has 'gif' in the name, but that doesn't seem to be the problem

I've asked around and other users seem to be experiencing the same behaviour.

#2 2015-03-27 14:22:12

karol
Archivist

Re: gpicview unable to animate gifs after (one of the last) upgrades

What packages have you updated recently?

#3 2015-03-27 14:43:56

shudouken

I can't really tell because I don't know the exact time when it broke, could be up to a month of me going on without noticing.
Since gpicview depends on: 'gtk2 desktop-file-utils xdg-utils' my new guess is that one of the gtk2 updates changed something in the GtkImageView library, viewing my pacman.log nothing else really seemed to have caused this

#4 2015-04-16 20:57:21

DoS

Did you solve this problem? It had been bothering me for a while now and today I decided to do some debugging.
Turns out gdk-pixbuf2 update (2.31.1-1 -> 2.31.2-1) breaks gpicview due to reusing buffers.

What I did as a quick fix was to remove "if( pixbuf != iv->pix )" from image_view_set_pixbuf at image-view.c:346 and rebuilt gpicview.
Seems to work fine now.

#5 2015-04-17 05:58:01

Jristz

DoS wrote:

Did you solve this problem? It had been bothering me for a while now and today I decided to do some debugging.
Turns out gdk-pixbuf2 update (2.31.1-1 -> 2.31.2-1) breaks gpicview due to reusing buffers.

What I did as a quick fix was to remove "if( pixbuf != iv->pix )" from image_view_set_pixbuf at image-view.c:346 and rebuilt gpicview.
Seems to work fine now.

REPORT THE FRICKING BUG IN THE BUG TRACKER WITH THE SOLUTION

sorry, I need to do...
the only way to know if someother have the same bug and if your solution work is either report the bug and ask in the forum.
maybe the mai of gpic not realice the problem, maybe it other maybe is a know bug but since nobody report it then arch not patch because nopbody report it and dev not look into the inmerse forum.

as for me I not use gpicview, I use ristretto and as far I know they that in 0,7,x
ristretto take a litle to load gifs but for me work, maybe if you really need to whatch a gif you can use it.

Well, I suppose that this is somekind of signature, no?

#6 2015-12-13 06:20:22

oremora

I second what Jristz suggested about reporting the bug, I followed DoS's solution and it worked, but it would be better if I could just install gpicview with pacman or yaourt and not have to worry about editing a file and compiling from source.

Board footer