You are not logged in.

#1 2015-04-21 08:09:28

HDArtworks
Website

Problem with installing yaourt (Solved)

Hi.
I want install yaourt for installing telegram and other apps.
But i can't install yaourt.
I use this way for install yaourt from AUR.

https://www.archlinux.fr/yaourt-en

here is the screenshot:

http://i57.tinypic.com/34no4lg.png

So, what should i do?
Thanks

-- mod edit: read the Forum Etiquette and only post thumbnails http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/For … s_and_Code [jwr] --

Last edited by HDArtworks (2015-04-21 13:59:18)

#2 2015-04-21 08:20:57

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Problem with installing yaourt (Solved)

Please don't post screenshots of textual output, paste the actual text.

As for your issue, read the AUR page on the wiki.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2015-04-21 08:40:01

madjock

Add

[archlinuxfr]
SigLevel = Never
Server = http://repo.archlinux.fr/$arch

to /etc/pacman.conf

sudo pacman - Sy yaourt

Last edited by madjock (2015-04-21 08:42:29)

#4 2015-04-21 08:49:08

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

That really isn't helpful: it just further blurs the line between official and unsupported repos and leaves people in the situation where they don't understand how that works...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#5 2015-04-21 09:02:31

bstaletic

madjock wrote:

Add

[archlinuxfr]
SigLevel = Never
Server = http://repo.archlinux.fr/$arch

to /etc/pacman.conf

sudo pacman - Sy yaourt

Don't do this! That repo has caused a lot of troubles to a lot of users, and since it is treated as any other repo it's not obvious where the problem lies. This is because maintainers of that repo can not keep up with compiling the whole AUR. Second, using -Sy, without -u, can be dangerous. Let's say you've got package "pkgA" depending on "libA". pkgA is dynamically linked against "libA.so.1". Then you try to install "pkgB", also depending on "libA", using "sudo pacman -Sy pkgB". Pacman syncs repos, finds new version of "libA" which has "libA.so.2" and installs everything as planed. Your setup works until reboot, as you have "libA.so.1" in memory. After reboot running "pkgA" fails, as there's no "libA.so.1" and downgrading "libA" won't help as it breaks "pkgB". In other words use "pacman -Sy" only if you plan on issuing "pacman -Su" afterwards.

Also yaourt has caused a lot of problems, as it hides away the difference between AUR and repos. Try another AUR helper, there are a lot to choose from.

#6 2015-04-21 09:25:07

madjock

Wow

It always amazes me the speed of replys when someone does things a different way.

Where as people with issues have to jump through hoops, do things in a correct posting manner multiple times, yet mostly do not get replys, but you try and help and everyone seems to jump down your throat, saying don't do that.

Yet you use an official repo and XFCE in my example, every time my Receiver powers down I have to hard boot to get a desktop back,(Xfce-settings bug) and only second hand patches fix this, so I can hardly get excited about issues with Repos when official software is just as buggy.

This is why people avoid Arch, it seems a lot easier to belittle and point to a Wiki, than it does to give a straight answer.

#7 2015-04-21 09:40:48

HDArtworks
Website

Thanks all.
What do you think about packer?
If that is not well.
Please tell me witch one is better and safer to use?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR_helpers

#8 2015-04-21 09:42:22

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

At least for me, cower was the only helper that didn't fail sooner or later. (and yes, I've tried the bunch of them..)

Last edited by Alad (2015-04-21 09:42:38)

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#9 2015-04-21 10:25:32

HDArtworks
Website

Alad wrote:

At least for me, cower was the only helper that didn't fail sooner or later. (and yes, I've tried the bunch of them..)

Thank you.
I choose packer. But i don't know how to install it. I'm newbie. Please tell me how to install packer.
Thanks again.

#10 2015-04-21 10:27:50

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

madjock wrote:

Wow

It always amazes me the speed of replys when someone does things a different way.

Where as people with issues have to jump through hoops, do things in a correct posting manner multiple times, yet mostly do not get replys, but you try and help and everyone seems to jump down your throat, saying don't do that.

Yet you use an official repo and XFCE in my example, every time my Receiver powers down I have to hard boot to get a desktop back,(Xfce-settings bug) and only second hand patches fix this, so I can hardly get excited about issues with Repos when official software is just as buggy.

This is why people avoid Arch, it seems a lot easier to belittle and point to a Wiki, than it does to give a straight answer.

Harmful advice is worse than no advice.
And posting actual text instead of embedding huge images in the post requires less hoop jumping than posting said images, and it is a "help us help you" thing.

As for your issue with xfce-settings, did you report it? And there is a difference between bugs in the official repos, and using a 3.rd party repo that is full of outdated/broken packages.

Last edited by Mr.Elendig (2015-04-21 10:28:54)

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#11 2015-04-21 10:34:50

c3kay

You're getting the error because the server handling package-query and yaourt is down.

You should search AUR for package-query-git and yaourt-git, which install the versions hosted on git. Obviously.

Then makepkg from those versions, and make sure you install any required dependencies (like git).

#12 2015-04-21 10:46:06

dice

You should make yourself familiar with how the aur works by reading the corresponding wiki page. Then build yaourt yourself using the traditional way (with makepkg).
Or simply avoid using yaourt.

I put at button on it. Yes. I wish to press it, but I'm not sure what will happen if I do.  (Gune | Titan A.E.)

#13 2015-04-21 10:47:43

karol
Archivist

HDArtworks wrote:

I choose packer. But i don't know how to install it. I'm newbie. Please tell me how to install packer.
Thanks again.

Please read the wiki articles about AUR and AUR helpers.

#14 2015-04-21 10:48:26

HDArtworks
Website

Thank guys. My friends told me try another AUR Helper.
Itry packer now. And it's working fine now. smile

#15 2015-04-21 10:52:09

madjock

Mr.Elendig

Agreed. But at the end of the day I looked at the pictures and saw what he was trying to do and replied as such.

The reply he got, was not that he was doing something that was bad, that reply was left for me, which is counter productive in my eyes.

Also a reply from a Wiki Admin, then you look at the Wiki and Yaourt is still there and the link the op was using, was directly below it, so it is quite ironic he the op was following an official Wiki, for me to get told it was not correct and it causes issues.

As for the Xfce Settings, yes it is a known issue when using HDMI and Xfce-Settings from 4.11 xx ish, I replied to someone who thought he had kernel issues, but its the same bug. Unfortunately the patches that are floating about, add issues with extra monitors popping up, and screen mirroring, so when you go to the buglist here
https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11107

And shortterm there is no official fix as such, which is a shame, but I lock down a patched version I use and all is well.

#16 2015-04-21 11:33:20

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Enough.  Stop with the hijacking.  This thread is complex enough.  I know you are just trying to explain why you posted what you did but there are two important points: one critical feedback help us improve and need not be taken personally; and two your XFCE settings issue has no place in this thread.  None.

@HDArtworks, I'm glad you are so open to trying other alternatives.  That is a sign that you will likely be quick to learn your way around your newish arch linux system.  An important part of that learning, though, is to be wary of anything that looks like a shortcut.  The archlinux.fr repo can seem like a quick way to get started with the AUR, but that is a shortcut that will almost always do much harm in the long run - and as users who enable that repo from the start never get to build a good foundation of understanding, they really find themselves in a frustrating bind.  So I'm glad that's off the table.

As for yaourt, I'm not a fan.  However, I've been rightly chastised on these forums for being unfairly critical of yaourt and lumping it together with the whole archlinux.fr repo.  Yaourt can be a useful tool and generally works well.  But it should really only be used by users who already have a good understanding (and ability to troubleshoot) AUR issues.

Much of the same could be said of all AUR helpers - so we generally encourage new users to spend some time doing AUR builds "manually".  I have mixed feelings on that myself.  While you definitely should build a few manually for the experience it can be a monotonous enough process that it may discourage AUR use all together which will thus discourage any more learning.  So my advice is to build just a few packages manually to see how it works, then try out of a few of the simpler less-intrusive AUR helpers.  I use cower and think it fits that bill perfectly, but there are certainly others.

Many archers who take this approach (manual -> minimal helper -> other helpers -> complex helper like yaourt) often find we have no reason to move beyond the 'minimal' helpers* and the others just add unneeded and unhelpful complexity.  But to each their own, I will not encourage you to stay with the simpler AUR helpers, but I will encourage you to start there so you can learn incrememntally.

*note: 'minimal' may be the wrong word as some of these are quite effeciently put together to offer many options and abilities.  Perhaps "simple" in the archway sense would be better.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#17 2015-04-21 13:03:51

pb
Website

HDArtworks wrote:

So, what should i do?
Thanks

It's something with connection - try another one.

If you've decided to install yaourt you can do it in those way (from French yaourt wiki) or:

# pacman -U http://repo.archlinux.fr/x86_64/package-query-1.5-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz http://repo.archlinux.fr/x86_64/yaourt-1.5-1-any.pkg.tar.xz

for 64bit system or:

# pacman -U http://repo.archlinux.fr/i686/package-query-1.5-2-i686.pkg.tar.xz http://repo.archlinux.fr/i686/yaourt-1.5-1-any.pkg.tar.xz

or... in any way that it's in Arch's wiki.

cower, packer or something from AUR:
1. download tarball from AUR's webside,
2. untar it
3. drive to unpacked directory
4. type:

makepkg -sirc

(it's also explain in wiki). When makepkg will cannot install some dependencies, check that they isn't in AUR - in those case, you have to build it in this same way first.

#18 2015-04-21 20:39:05

ewaller
Administrator

As it it solved, I am going to close this thread.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer