You are not logged in.

#51 2015-03-26 19:23:39

mf

Re: qutebrowser - A keyboard-driven, vim-like browser based on PyQt5

This is great! Works amazingly fast. Only one problem though. Flash is not working for me. :set content allow_plugins true did nothing for me. I have flashplugin installed. Any ideas?

#52 2015-03-26 19:32:08

The Compiler
Website

mf wrote:

This is great! Works amazingly fast. Only one problem though. Flash is not working for me. :set content allow_plugins true did nothing for me. I have flashplugin installed. Any ideas?

Weird... Where are you testing this? Do you get any output if you start it in a console? Can you reproduce the issue in a new instance and then do :report?

Florian

>>> from __future__ import braces
  File "<stdin>", line 1
SyntaxError: not a chance

#53 2015-03-26 19:33:54

mf

The Compiler wrote:
mf wrote:

Weird... Where are you testing this? Do you get any output if you start it in a console? Can you reproduce the issue in a new instance and then do :report?

Florian

No need to do any of this, it's working now. I have no idea why it didn't work (I restarted qute a couple of times after :set), but now it's working big_smile Mybe it was just Soundcloud that was messing up. Thanks, now it's perfect!

EDIT: It's not yet perfect, but it will be when there's keepass integration wink

Last edited by mf (2015-03-26 19:34:50)

#54 2015-03-31 15:24:34

F34R

Anybody issue on 10fastfingers page?

#55 2015-03-31 20:23:18

The Compiler
Website

F34R wrote:

Anybody issue on 10fastfingers page?

I indeed see some issues there - I opened an issue (#593) for that.

edit: should be fixed now.

Last edited by The Compiler (2015-03-31 21:14:57)

File "<stdin>", line 1

#56 2015-04-05 14:44:24

Roshless
Website

How is support for sessions going? Its my only reason to still use dwb. Can we get it anytime soon?

edit: Thanks, I'll try that.

Last edited by Roshless (2015-04-05 21:10:51)

#57 2015-04-05 19:20:19

The Compiler
Website

Roshless wrote:

How is support for sessions going? Its my only reason to still use dwb. Can we get it anytime soon?

Initial session support was added 7 weeks ago wink

There are still some small refinements to be made, but I hope to release v0.2 with sessions soon. In the meantime, you might want to use qutebrowser-git instead.

File "<stdin>", line 1

#58 2015-04-06 20:04:31

kvtb

I'm a former uzbl-user. I stopped using uzbl because upstream bugs made it unusable, so I switched to firefox
Yesterday I found out about qutebrowser and today I uninstalled firefox! Great project!

One thing I particularly like is the fact that it is possible to disable tabs (tab opens new window instead) - because I consider tab-management the task of the window manager (i3). And I prefer stacking over tabs anyway smile

I have some questions to more experiences qutebrowser users:

- I'm pedantic about webprivacy. In FF I had disabled 3rd party cookies. How does qutebrowser deal with 3rd party cookies? Can I disable 3rd party cookies?

- Related to the previous question, I understand Adblock Plus type of functionality is not present. Is there a workaround to at least ensure facebook/google/etc stop following me by tracking each site I'm visiting by refusing to load Like buttons etc? (Like ABP's EasyPrivacy)

- When trying to watch a youtube video, it fails. Instead, youtube says: An error occurred, please try again later
I'm using version 0.1.4. Did anyone get watching youtube videos working in that version?

- How can I search in the URL history? Or navigate via history? I do not immediately bookmark every interesting site I visit, so I rely on search through the visited URLs history to navigate I just read about history completion being in development!

Thanks a lot!

The Compiler: Thanks for this browser good luck with the development!

Last edited by kvtb (2015-04-06 20:51:34)

#59 2015-04-07 05:02:33

The Compiler
Website

kvtb wrote:

I'm a former uzbl-user. I stopped using uzbl because upstream bugs made it unusable, so I switched to firefox
Yesterday I found out about qutebrowser and today I uninstalled firefox! Great project!

One thing I particularly like is the fact that it is possible to disable tabs (tab opens new window instead) - because I consider tab-management the task of the window manager (i3). And I prefer stacking over tabs anyway smile

Glad to hear you're happy with it! smile

For the tabs-are-windows setting you're just responsible to tell me when it breaks, as I rarely test it tongue

kvtb wrote:

- I'm pedantic about webprivacy. In FF I had disabled 3rd party cookies. How does qutebrowser deal with 3rd party cookies? Can I disable 3rd party cookies?

Thanks for bringing my attention to this! It currently accepts them it seems, but I opened an issue to add a setting to prevent them. Do you know how many pages this breaks, i.e. would it be suitable as a default?

kvtb wrote:

- Related to the previous question, I understand Adblock Plus type of functionality is not present. Is there a workaround to at least ensure facebook/google/etc stop following me by tracking each site I'm visiting by refusing to load Like buttons etc? (Like ABP's EasyPrivacy)

There's the built in hostblocker (update it via :adblock-update which takes /etc/hosts-like files. By default, several block lists are used which block most ads and also things like Google Analytics. No idea if that includes those buttons however... If not, you could however add a custom file blocking those hosts as a file://-URL to the content -> host-block-lists setting.

kvtb wrote:

- When trying to watch a youtube video, it fails. Instead, youtube says: An error occurred, please try again later
I'm using version 0.1.4. Did anyone get watching youtube videos working in that version?

You need the proper codecs installed which are listed as optional dependencies in the PKGBUILD (gst-libav gst-plugins-{base,good,bad,ugly}).

kvtb wrote:

- How can I search in the URL history? Or navigate via history? I do not immediately bookmark every interesting site I visit, so I rely on search through the visited URLs history to navigate I just read about history completion being in development!

Yup! That'll be part of v0.2, which will be released very soon (for real this time!) - 3 issues remaining and I'm working on 2 of them now smile
Thanks a lot!

The Compiler: Thanks for this browser good luck with the development!

Thank you!

File "<stdin>", line 1

#60 2015-04-12 09:34:14

kvtb

Thanks for your reply.
Regarding blocking 3rd party cookies by default: I'm not aware of any sites that break down due to not accepting 3rd part cookies. For me personally it would be a safe default

#61 2015-04-14 14:14:36

pelbred

The Compiler wrote:
kvtb wrote:

Thanks for bringing my attention to this! It currently accepts them it seems, but I opened an issue to add a setting to prevent them. Do you know how many pages this breaks, i.e. would it be suitable as a default?

kvtb wrote:

Thanks for your reply.
Regarding blocking 3rd party cookies by default: I'm not aware of any sites that break down due to not accepting 3rd part cookies. For me personally it would be a safe default

Only issue I've come across from disabling 3rd party cookies is being unable to pay for something using my Amazon account on a site that isn't Amazon. E.g., Monoprice.com has a 'Pay with Amazon' option which does not work if you have 3rd party cookies disabled. Other than that, so far so good as far as I can tell.

Last edited by pelbred (2015-04-14 14:21:30)

#62 2015-04-19 17:02:03

The Compiler
Website

I'm happy to announce v0.2.0 has been released, with sessions, history completion, and tons of other new features!

Check the changelog to see what's new.

EDIT: Make that v0.2.1, the manpage was missing in the source archive... :-/

Last edited by The Compiler (2015-04-19 18:25:30)

File "<stdin>", line 1

#63 2015-04-20 05:49:58

Luminous

A nice browser. I really can't figure out which I like best best. Dwb is a bit sluggish, luakit is fast but lacks a lot of features. I tried uzbl, and I use pentadactyl a lot. Pentadactyl is unbeatable so far except for when it comes to responsitivity and speed. qutebrowser does a good job so far from what I can tell.

As mentioned in the faq dwb has a lot of stability issues and I have experienced a lot of stability problems with dwb. Luakit hasn't been that much of a hassle actually. Qutebrowser seems rock solid!

Last edited by Luminous (2015-04-20 05:56:19)

#64 2015-04-20 17:59:09

kvtb

Thanks for 0.2!
Question: how is the history completion supposed to work?
I installed 0.2, used the :open command on different urls
but now I want to use :open and browse/search through the history, however, I do not see/know/understand how to retrieve the history.
(perhaps this is just a matter of RTFM?)

#65 2015-04-21 07:29:52

The Compiler
Website

kvtb wrote:

Thanks for 0.2!
Question: how is the history completion supposed to work?
I installed 0.2, used the :open command on different urls
but now I want to use :open and browse/search through the history, however, I do not see/know/understand how to retrieve the history.
(perhaps this is just a matter of RTFM?)

Hm, I'm not sure whether I'm understanding the question wrong or there's some issue - do you see the history with :open?

Right now there's only the completion there, and no interface to browse the history - though you can look at ~/.local/share/qutebrowser/history with your text editor.

File "<stdin>", line 1

#66 2015-04-21 17:38:38

kvtb

When I use :open I do not see anything at all.
I now notice that  ~/.local/share/qutebrowser/history
does not exist. I will create it manually and see what happens

Update:
I did 'touch  ~/.local/share/qutebrowser/history'
after browsing to at least 10 distinct URLs I notice that  ~/.local/share/qutebrowser/history remains empty

Last edited by kvtb (2015-04-21 17:47:37)

#67 2015-04-21 20:27:15

The Compiler
Website

kvtb wrote:

When I use :open I do not see anything at all.
I now notice that  ~/.local/share/qutebrowser/history
does not exist. I will create it manually and see what happens

Update:
I did 'touch  ~/.local/share/qutebrowser/history'
after browsing to at least 10 distinct URLs I notice that  ~/.local/share/qutebrowser/history remains empty

This all really sounds like you're running v0.1.4 and not v0.2.1 - can you do :open qute:version and double-check?

If you really are on v0.2.1, can you please reproduce it in a fresh instance, and then do :report and ideally link to this post so I can take a closer look at what's happening?

File "<stdin>", line 1

#68 2015-04-22 09:08:21

chickenPie4tea

Just tried out the latest version, I still had 0.14 installed, It starts up faster I noticed, pity it does not have a form filler though - that is the reason I am using dwb

You can like linux without becoming a fanatic!

#69 2015-04-22 16:35:24

kvtb

@The Compiler, I'm definitely using v0.2.1, :open qute:version gives no doubt about that smile
After running totally fresh instance, I notice :open gives a version history, great, so it works smile
However, when restoring my original configuration, no new URLs are added to the history.
Note: I'm using the 'open tabs as new window' feature - could it be related to that? OH, stupid me, the private browsing setting was set to true (for testing purposes and forgot to set it back to false)

Last edited by kvtb (2015-04-22 17:25:20)

#70 2015-04-23 20:20:53

teateawhy
Website

chickenPie4tea wrote:

Just tried out the latest version, I still had 0.14 installed, It starts up faster I noticed, pity it does not have a form filler though - that is the reason I am using dwb

Have you tried pressing Ctrl+E ?
Written with gvim and qutebrowser.

#71 2015-04-24 06:49:17

The Compiler
Website

@kvtb: Haha, that happened to me as well... No command history, searching for the bug until I discovered I did the same...
@teateawhy: I think chickenPie4tea is talking about a thing to automatically fill forms (e.g. username/password), not the "external editor" feature.

See #30 (plugin support) for a related issue.

File "<stdin>", line 1

#72 2015-04-24 10:39:09

chickenPie4tea

Yes I am writing this from Dwb, and to sign in I just had to press eff  it also signs me into other sites and I need that functionality so what are you guys using to sign into sites when using qutebrowser?

#73 2015-04-24 11:41:30

Mercader1902

When I do a search on google, the font is a little bit small and on google images I have only the half of the screen.
I didn't find anything on github, so I don't know if this is due to my config (I used an older version a few months ago. Now I have the git version from AUR) or if it's like that by default.

qU0L78zt.jpg

And, is there a way to change the old google's black bar to the new one?

#74 2015-04-24 19:44:04

Mercader1902

Mercader1902 wrote:

When I do a search on google, the font is a little bit small and on google images I have only the half of the screen.
I didn't find anything on github, so I don't know if this is due to my config (I used an older version a few months ago. Now I have the git version from AUR) or if it's like that by default.

http://i.imgur.com/qU0L78zt.jpg

And, is there a way to change the old google's black bar to the new one?

I've changed the user agent to Chrome 40.0 Linux and now everything works well.

https://www.seroundtable.com/google-old … 19084.html

rikn00 wrote:
thearcherblog wrote:
rikn00 wrote:

Default user agent is Safari something I think. Try to change that setting.

As soon as I know how to change it, I will do it smile

You can set user agent with command

:set network user-agent ***

where *** is the user agent string. Or you can change it in ~/.config/qutebrowser/qutebrowser.conf.

#75 2015-04-25 09:38:22

chickenPie4tea

@Mercader1902  I dont have those issues, I think it's something with your config as you say.

Board footer