You are not logged in.

#1 2006-03-27 15:46:44

eyolf
Website

Boot problem: grep: error while loading shared libraries

This morning I booted up and everything was fine. Did a -Syu, and grep was updated. Then I closed down, and when I rebooted I got a lot of error messages about my root file system not passing the test:

some lines of:
grep:error while loading shared libraries libpcre.so.0 - no such file or directory
/etc/rc.sysinit line 111: /sbin/cryptsetup/static No such file or directory

Then the grep line again, and 

fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/hda10
/dev/hda10: the superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 file system. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2 filesystem (and not swap or nfs or something else), then the superblock is corrupt and you might try running e2fsck with an alternative superblock:
    e2fsck -b 9103 <device>

Then a box saying that 

filesystem check failed.
Please repair manually and reboot. 

And some info that the root fs is mounted read-only.

So what do I do? I'm quite lost here.

My boot partition is ext3 and not ext2 as it seems to think.

My immediate theory would be that something went wrong with the upgrade of grep - it's kinda conspicuous that I start getting error messages about it immediately after an upgrade. Is there a way to reinstall it?

Alternatively: I have the root system on a separate partition, and usr, opt, var and home in their own partition. Can I reinstall the main system files from the Arch 0.7.1 disk without messing up the whole system?
What about pacman - will it go wild if I do so?

And lastly, the most obvious question: how do I 'repair manually and reboot', as it instructs me to do?

#2 2006-03-27 16:23:16

enderst

Re: Boot problem: grep: error while loading shared libraries

don't take drastic measures yet. a reinstall isn't fun. i'm in the same boat and have fixed a lot of severe boot issues like this without reinstall. was hoping i wasn't the only one but, was also hoping there was a solution  :cry:

#3 2006-03-27 16:28:16

eyolf
Website

ok - I'll stay calm. I'm going to a dinner party in half an hour anyway, so I can wait :-)
Please keep me informed about any progress - I don't feel like booting from a live cd for too long (or - heaven forbid - use the windows partition...)

BTW, I forgot to mention that I can access that partition just fine from the live CD, so nothing seems to be wrong with it.

#4 2006-03-27 17:00:44

Sander

I think the filesystem check isn't failing because something's wrong with the filesystem, it just never gets round to checking anything. It says there's no /dev/hda10 at all... so it can't know wether it's corrupt or not wink

You like cheese? You like peas? You'll love cheezy peas!

#5 2006-03-27 17:03:32

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Try booting in from a livecd and installing the 'pcre' package:
(url grabbed from a random mirror)
ftp://ftp.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/linux/suns … pkg.tar.gz

-edit-
The new grep package was built with perl regex support (according to the CVS logs) and as such needs to depend on pcre (perl-5 style regex libraries).  I've filed a bug report here:

http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/4297

-edit again-
Okay, the new grep DOES depend on pcre like it should... so now I'm left wondering why grep can't find the libraries during bootup. 

-edit a third time-
Try chrooting into your arch install with a livecd and running ldconfig
See if that helps.

#6 2006-03-27 17:36:54

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Allright, it seems the problem happens if you have /usr on a seperate partition from your / filesystem - grep is used in the initscripts before /usr is mounted, and so it can't find the library in /usr/lib

not entirely sure what can be done to fix this - I'm not sure if mounting /usr first-thing in the initscripts would break anything later on... best bet would be to downgrade grep until the devs figure out what they want to do to remedy this.

#7 2006-03-27 18:23:44

apeiro
Daddy
Website

I'm moving the pcre libs to /lib now.  This should fix the issue.

#8 2006-03-27 18:29:06

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Allright, keep an eye out for the new pcre package - 6.6-2 - updating this should fix the problem.

-edit- Heh, that's what I get for not refreshing before posting - aperio beat me by a whole 6 minutes. tongue

#9 2006-03-27 19:18:28

enderst

new pkg works great, thanks apeiro

#10 2006-03-27 23:02:30

eyolf
Website

So what do I do? 'Boot from a live Cd' - does that mean an Archie? Can I install packages into the normal filesystem there? I'm a bit confused about the order of the comments here... Is it the chroot > ldconfig which holds, or...? How do I update to the new pcre package from a live cd?
Going to bed now, after a wonderful dinner (reindeer surprise...), so I won't attempt anything until tomorrow morning. But I would love to have this resolved before my wife gets back from work tomorrow afternoon - I'm trying to talk her into letting me install Arch on her MS-crippled laptop (it's slooooow, buggy, etc.), but things like this is exactly the kind of things that would hold her back. She has vivid memories of me cursing and sweating during my first weeks of Arch, having done something stupid, or not getting the printer to work - back then I could blame it on my own ignorance, and still argue the solidity of Arch/linux, but this would keep her adverse for another six months or so...

#11 2006-03-27 23:30:04

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

eyolf:  You need to update pcre.  The newest package is available here:
ftp://ftp.archlinux.org/current/os/i686 … pkg.tar.gz

If you've got an installation CD lying around, that'd work.  Boot it, but instead of running /arch/setup you'd need to mount your regular root (/dev/hdx or whatever), chroot into it, and run pacman to install the new package for pcre.

#12 2006-03-28 00:31:20

enderst

i just used an install cd.
1. boot the cd
2. mount the filesystems (old install cd?)
      mount /dev/discs/disc1/part3 /mnt
      mount /dev/discs/disc1/part1 /mnt/boot
      mount /dev/discs/disc1/part6 /mnt/usr
      mount /dev/discs/disc1/part5 /mnt/home
i mount home and boot just in i needed to download a pkg or edit grub.
3.chroot /mnt
4. source /etc/profile
5. pacman -Syu (pcre should get upgraded)
6. exit
7. umount /mnt/home
    umount /mnt/usr
    umount /mnt/boot
    umount /mnt
8. reboot

big_smile

#13 2006-03-28 08:33:55

eyolf
Website

Phew. Thanks. It all worked. Even before the wife got up...
:-)

Board footer