You are not logged in.

#1 2015-04-28 13:52:50

manuelschneid3r

How to use the Dekstop Action in desktop files.

I just recognized that desktop files can contain cool actions like e.g shutter:

20 [Desktop Action Redo]                                                            
 21 Name=Redo last screenshot                                                        
 22 Exec=shutter --redo                                                              
 23 OnlyShowIn=Unity;                                                                
 24                                                                                  
 25 [Desktop Action Select]                                                          
 26 Name=Capture an area of the screen                                               
 27 Exec=shutter --select                                                            
 28 OnlyShowIn=Unity;                                                                
 29                                                                                  
 30 [Desktop Action Screen]                                                          
 31 Name=Capture the entire screen                                                   
 32 Exec=shutter --full                                                              
 33 OnlyShowIn=Unity;                                                                
 34                                                                                  
 35 [Desktop Action Window]                                                          
 36 Name=Select a window to capture                                                  
 37 Exec=shutter --window                                                            
 38 OnlyShowIn=Unity;                                                                
 39                                                                                  
 40 [Desktop Action Active]                                                          
 41 Name=Capture the current active window                                           
 42 Exec=shutter --active                                                            
 43 OnlyShowIn=Unity;       

What is their intention? Is there a way to make them more integrated into the desktop, e.g. as a global hotkey(aside form using their native commands)?

Last edited by manuelschneid3r (2015-04-28 13:53:17)

Please feel free to correct my english.

#2 2015-04-28 17:12:10

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: How to use the Dekstop Action in desktop files.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2015-04-28 17:36:17

ooo

In gnome-shell, desktop actions appear in the right click menu, when you click application icons in dash or application overview.
Don't know about other DEs or applications.

http://standards.freedesktop.org/deskto … ra-actions

Last edited by ooo (2015-04-28 17:39:03)

#4 2015-04-28 20:51:42

manuelschneid3r

@jasonwryan Maybe this is hastily. But I find it impolite to move this to NC and post a link that you did not even read. If you did, you would have noticed that the topic goes beyond anything written in this wiki article. I really know what e desktop entry is.

@ooo thank you.

For future readers, from the specs: Application launchers should expose them to the user (for example, as a submenu) within the context of the application. This is used to build so called "Quicklists" or "Jumplists".

Last edited by manuelschneid3r (2015-04-28 20:53:35)

Please feel free to correct my english.

#5 2015-04-28 20:57:10

ewaller
Administrator

I don't know where this thread had been initially, but a move to Newbie corner is not necessarily punitive. 
It might be that it is where someone who needs it is likely to find it.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#6 2015-04-28 21:18:44

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

manuelschneid3r wrote:

@jasonwryan Maybe this is hastily. But I find it impolite to move this to NC and post a link that you did not even read. If you did, you would have noticed that the topic goes beyond anything written in this wiki article. I really know what e desktop entry is.

The wiki page, which I have read, links several times to the freedesktop spec, which you could have read. Hence, Newbie Corner.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer