You are not logged in.

#51 2006-02-26 14:19:46

Daren

Re: Xorg7 - system freezing [split]

The only time I've had that error loading a module is when I forgot to do it as root  :oops:  but this shouldn't matter on boot.

Try modprobing it manually as root and see if dmesg tells you anything.

My knowledge of this sort of thing is still pretty minimal.

#52 2006-02-26 15:19:43

cogo
Website

After trying to modprobe fglrx as root, dmesg had the following info:

[fglrx] Maximum main memory to use for locked DMS buffers: 801 MBytes
ACPI: PCI Interrupt....
[fglrx:firegl_stub_register] *ERROR* Unable to the open some already present DRM kernel module

The kernel I use have built in loads of stuff insted of using modules. So I have probably built in support for some ati stuff that should not be there. I tried to install kernel26 using pacman, but I got a kernel panic when trying to start using the ARCH kernel. I guess I'll have to read some more about using the kernel26 package.

#53 2006-02-27 07:15:27

cogo
Website

There. Now I have installed the kernel26 package, made an initrd image, and installed the ati-drivers and ati-drivers-arch packages.

I tried to load the fglrx module by putting it in the MODULES list i rc.conf, but it complained. I also have MOD_AUTOLOAD="yes". Then I did lsmod|grep agp and found intel-agp and agpgart. I then put !intel-agp and !agpgart in the MODULES list so they did not load.

After the reboot there was no errors in the boot. But when I try startx (I have fglrx as driver in xorg.conf) it give me the following error:

dlopen: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so: undefined symbol: __glXActiveScreens

The driver is in the directory specified in the error, but I guess I have done some other error. Any tips? smile

#54 2006-02-27 09:09:45

Daren

You need to load the glx module.

I have since installed these as Cerebral informed me the issue I was having has apparently been fixed, and so far I haven't had an issue with them  (argh, now I'm in trouble...  :twisted: )

You might want to use the 'aticonfig' tool to generate a config file (but backup your old one first!)

#55 2006-02-27 09:16:24

cogo
Website

So you have your system up running again? You lucky bastard! big_smile

#56 2006-02-27 09:27:02

cogo
Website

hmm ... now I am in X again, with some minor shortcomings. smile

The font is ridiculously large, the mousewheel does not work, and the keyboard is fcked. I will try and fix these things. Both firefox and thunderbird have been running some minutes now without the machine hanging.

#57 2006-02-27 10:22:34

Daren

I had no issues with mouse/keyboard but it did give me a completely bizarre dpi setting.  Although this made the fonts tiny, not large!  I had to manually set the screen size (thanks to Cerebral again!)

Make sure your mouse doesn't use the 'auto' protocol, I cannot remember the exact protocol (think it's IMPS/2) but a quick search should find something.  I can't check at the mo as I'm at work (and ought to get back to doing some  wink )

I believe the keyboard naming schemes also changed slightly in some circumstances, so you may want to check that.

#58 2006-02-27 14:12:11

cogo
Website

I managed to get norwegian characters by adding some options to the xorg.conf file:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option      "XkbRules" "xorg"
        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "no"
EndSection

The scrollwheel on the mouse needed the following:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

I still have some problems with the fonts beeing fcked. Most of them are way bigger than last time I was in X. smile I have probably uninstalled some font packages or something like that. smile

#59 2006-03-05 10:08:50

cogo
Website

I saw that a new ati-drivers package came along, and was hoping that the package would solve the problems I have had with the ati driver, but the new package does not fix this. After some minutes in X, my computer still hangs. Does anybody actually know where the problem is? Is it in Xorg7? Is it in the ati-driver? Since my computer hangs using the vesa driver as well (but not the fglrx driver) the problem isnt probably with the ati-driver... I dont have a clue actually, but maybe some of you guys know? smile

#60 2006-03-05 10:10:51

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Is your computer overheating?

If it happens in vesa, it cant be ati-drivers

#61 2006-03-05 10:44:59

cogo
Website

I start X and start some applications, and suddenly the computer hangs. It does not respond to the keyboard, mouse and so forth. It can not be reached on the network either. This happens when I use ati, radeon or the vesa driver. Have not tried anyone else. The one I use now is the fglrx driver, and it lets me at least use the computer. smile

Shortly after it hangs the fan starts to work, but nothing is happening. The computer just sits there, waiting for me to push the powerbutton. sad

I would really like to get the ati driver to work again though, since it renders stuff better then fglrx.

#62 2006-03-05 16:12:50

elasticdog
Website

I'm getting random freezes when X is shutdown...I can't pin down a pattern at all, but when it happens, I'm still able to <code>Ctrl+Alt+Backspace</code> and kill the server, but I have to switch to a different VC and then switch back before the machine becomes responsive again.  I'm using the NVIDIA drivers...

#63 2006-03-06 19:32:00

Blind

cogo,
I had similar problems with the xorg open source ati drivers - of course, I have no clue what the real problem was (one possibility: add yourself to the video group, if you haven't done so yet? see wiki) The hard freezes weren't as often as for you. I changed to the fglrx drivers - I can post a PKGBUILD if you are interested, which is heavily based on the one in the main repo, but slightly modified because I have a P4 HT (SMP) laptop. Since then the freezes are gone (from what I can tell).
BTW:
1. you asked about logging. I haven't gotten a clue from the logs in /var/log/Xorg.0.log, no helpful pre-crash messages are logged there.
2. I also compile my own kernels. Did you turn off DRI/DRM in the config? (only valid for fglrx, the xorg drivers probably _need_ it turned on)
3. I don't really know what you mean with 'renders better'. Are you sure this is not a font probem (in the xorg.conf paths / have you installed font packages like cheapskate-ttf etc?)? I think that fglrx does a better job....but maybe this is because I am 'Blind' big_smile
Cheers!

#64 2006-03-06 19:59:17

outr

Don't know if the problems have any relation, but after a recent pacman -Syu  on my machine xorg7 froze always after a few seconds of use, sometimes already at kdm.
On this occasion the problem was fixed by downgrading the xorg-server from 1.0.1-6 to 1.0.1-4 from cache
Using opensource radeon drivers on mobility 9700. dri disabled as it also has caused freezes since the upgrade.

#65 2006-03-09 22:55:38

Infracephas
Website

Just to confirm: I upgraded to xorg-server-1.0.1-6 with a system upgrade yesterday and started experiencing crashes again.  Downgrading back to xorg-server-1.0.1-4 fixed the crashes.

Russ

#66 2006-03-20 08:54:44

Sigi

CiA10386: Are you using the archck-kernel?
If yes, update to the newest available version - solved the prob for me. (thx iphitus)

Cheers Sigi

Haven't been here in a while. Still rocking Arch. smile

#67 2006-03-26 16:45:24

cogo
Website

Where can I get a hold of xorg-server-1.0.1-4? I dont have it in my cache. Maybe some of you can post it here so I can try with that version? Tried the ati driver yesterday, and the same thing happened again.

#68 2006-03-27 18:46:01

cogo
Website

Nevermind, google found one for me. smile Will try and downgrade later tonight. smile

Board footer