You are not logged in.

#1 2015-04-29 10:59:52

pgoetz

depends=('java-runtime') not working properly?

I am trying to install the saxon-he package from the AUR.  The PKBUILD contains only one dependency:

depends=('java-runtime')

No problem, I have exactly what I need installed already:

pgoetz@www:saxon-he$ pacman -Q | grep jdk
jre8-openjdk-headless 8.u40-1

However, when I try to run makepkg -s the system tries to install a bunch of junk I don't want or need:

pgoetz@www:saxon-he$ makepkg -s
==> Making package: saxon-he 9.6.0.1-1 (Wed Apr 29 05:44:45 CDT 2015)
==> Checking runtime dependencies...
==> Installing missing dependencies...
[sudo] password for pgoetz:
:: There are 2 providers available for java-runtime:
:: Repository extra
   1) jre7-openjdk  2) jre8-openjdk

Enter a number (default=1):

(If I select 2, some additional packages I don't want are pulled down as dependencies of jre8-openjdk and then the install fails anyway for some reason I don't remember.)

I'm not sure how the dependency depends=('java-runtime') works, but surely such a dependency should be satisfied by the headless version of jre8-openjdk?

I'm calling this a bug.  Any idea how to go about getting this fixed?  I.e. I wouldn't even know what package to log a bug against or how to find out who the maintainer is of such a dependency-mapping table.

#2 2015-04-29 11:35:01

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: depends=('java-runtime') not working properly?

I'm not sure how the dependency depends=('java-runtime') works, but surely such a dependency should be satisfied by the headless version of jre8-openjdk?

No.  The headless runtimes do not provide java-runtime.  This can be easily found in pacman -Si/-Qi output.  The package you have installed provides java-runtime-headless.

I'm calling this a bug.

You can call it a potato, it won't make it so.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2015-04-29 11:47:47

progandy

pgoetz wrote:

I'm calling this a bug.  Any idea how to go about getting this fixed?  I.e. I wouldn't even know what package to log a bug against or how to find out who the maintainer is of such a dependency-mapping table.

If the headless package is enough for saxon-he, then the dependency in the PKGBUILD is wrong and it should be java-runtime-headless, so request a change in the PKGBUILD. You can even do it in your own copy without waiting for the AUR entry to change.

Last edited by progandy (2015-04-29 11:48:18)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#4 2015-05-01 18:10:34

pgoetz

Trilby wrote:

No.  The headless runtimes do not provide java-runtime.  This can be easily found in pacman -Si/-Qi output.  The package you have installed provides java-runtime-headless.

Um, saying that jre8-openjdk-headless doesn't provide a runtime java environment is like saying a liquor store doesn't sell liquor.  Well then what does it do?

Anyway, I now understand how this works -- thanks.

#5 2015-05-01 18:15:49

pgoetz

progandy wrote:

If the headless package is enough for saxon-he, then the dependency in the PKGBUILD is wrong and it should be java-runtime-headless, so request a change in the PKGBUILD. You can even do it in your own copy without waiting for the AUR entry to change.

Thanks, that's what I'm going to do.  Saxon is an XSLT compiler and is far removed from anything that involves graphics in any way.

Question:  if the package maintainer changes the dependency in the PKGBUILD to java-runtime-headless, will this then throw off the people who have the full jre installed on their system, or is the dependency resolving system sophisticated enough to realize that jre8-openjk-headless is a subset of jre8-openjdk?

#6 2015-05-01 18:25:23

nomorewindows

Depends on if jre has a conflict list for headless.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#7 2015-05-01 18:34:23

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

pgoetz wrote:

Um, saying that jre8-openjdk-headless doesn't provide a runtime java environment is like saying a liquor store doesn't sell liquor.  Well then what does it do?

No it's like saying a bar doesn't sell bottles, only drinks.

But you can plainly see that the package in question most certainly does not provide java-runtime.  It provides java-runtime-headless.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#8 2015-05-01 18:41:54

Raynman

pgoetz wrote:

Question:  if the package maintainer changes the dependency in the PKGBUILD to java-runtime-headless, will this then throw off the people who have the full jre installed on their system, or is the dependency resolving system sophisticated enough to realize that jre8-openjk-headless is a subset of jre8-openjdk?

How do you see people installing jre8-openjdk without jre8-openjk-headless?

#9 2015-05-01 18:55:28

nomorewindows

Seems like to me that java-runtime went away recently.  Only thing I can find is java-runtime-common.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#10 2015-05-01 18:58:47

pgoetz

Raynman wrote:

How do you see people installing jre8-openjdk without jre8-openjk-headless?

My bad.  I was asking that question speculatively, and hadn't bothered to run

pacman -Si jre8-openjdk

(I try to spend as little time as possible thinking about java.)  So this really is an easily fixable adjustment to the package dependency.

#11 2015-05-01 19:04:39

Raynman

nomorewindows wrote:

Seems like to me that java-runtime went away recently.  Only thing I can find is java-runtime-common.

It's a virtual package. Not so easily found using the web interface, but `pacman -Ss java-runtime` does include the providers.

Board footer