You are not logged in.

#1 2015-04-30 15:45:13

noctlos

[SOLVED] Windows Guest VM in QEMU with OVMF freezing on boot

I'm having some issues booting Windows 8.1 with ovmf. I've taken out the references to vga passthrough for debugging this issue. This is a fresh installation, I have a separate installation that works just fine (albeit bloated), and I don't know where the difference comes.

The command I used:

# qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -m 4G -cpu host -M q35  -balloon virtio \
 -drive if=pflash,format=raw,readonly,file=/var/lib/libvirt/images/ovmf_x64.bin \
 -drive if=pflash,format=raw,file=/var/lib/libvirt/images/ovmf_vars_x64.bin \
 -smp 6,sockets=1,cores=6,threads=1  -net nic,model=virtio  -net bridge,br=br0  -name win8 \
 -device virtio-scsi-pci,id=scsi \
 -device ioh3420,bus=pcie.0,addr=1c.0,multifunction=on,port=1,chassis=1,id=root.1 \
 -drive file=/var/lib/libvirt/images/Win8.1Base-OVMF.cow,id=disk,format=qcow2,if=none -device scsi-hd,drive=disk \
 -drive file=/usr/share/virtio/virtio-win.iso,id=virtiocd,if=none -device ide-cd,bus=ide.1,drive=virtiocd

I have tried his with ovmf-svn and Gerd Hoffman's repository, both giving the same effect.

It starts to boot for a while, and then freezes at a point like this:
TFMrOfHl.jpeg

EDIT: When I take out references to the q35 chipset, including the ioh3420 device, it will boot.

EDIT 2: After I installed the driver for my nvidia card (the point of this from the beginning), I was then able to boot with q35 chipset again. Wahoo!

Last edited by noctlos (2015-04-30 20:47:06)

Board footer