You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-06 00:42:46

phaseburn

Plymouth graphical boot, encrypted root, and systemd...

I'm having some difficulty getting Plymouth working with an encrypted root, and, systemd in the initramfs. I had identical issues getting Plymouth working without systemd in the initramfs, so that doesn't seem to be the issue.

I installed plymouth-git from the AUR. I similarly tried this with the non-git AUR package as well, with no different results. While trying to use the non-git package, I used the sd-plymouth mkinitcpio module from Celti's Github (He maintain's the -git AUR package), as posted in the comments. This enables support for systemd support inside the initramfs for plymouth, through using the sd-plymouth hook in place of the normal plymouth flag. When using the normal plymouth flag, and base + udev in place of systemd in my hooks, the same thing happens, so it seems unlikely to be the systemd implementation.

Anyhoo, when using plymouth and plymouth-encrypt in my hooks, I never get asked for a password to decrypt the root volume. It just presents the splash, and, that's all I ever see. After a couple of minutes, it dumps me to a black screen.

The contents of my /etc/mkinitcpio.conf file

MODULES=""
BINARIES=""
FILES=""
HOOKS="systemd sd-plymouth autodetect modconf block keyboard plymouth-encrypt filesystems fsck"
COMPRESSION="gzip"
COMPRESSION_OPTIONS=""

I use rEFInd, not grub or gummiboot, and my kernel options are as follows:

rd.luks.name=945737e7-94a0-49a0-b1ab-b51cb497ec4a=root root=/dev/mapper/root initrd=intel-ucode.img initrd=initramfs-linux.img rw nomodeset add_efi_memmap quiet splash

When booting, I'm greeted with my rEFInd GUI, it drops to a black screen for a fraction of a second, and loads Plymouth, and, sits there for about 90 seconds before dumping me to a black screen. When I type something on the keyboard, it shows up in the console, on top of the splash screen. It's almost as if plymouth isn't hooking the input. It fails to ask for a password or decrypt my root, too. I do notice when not using sd-plymouth, the splash logo appears to have an input box as if it at least knows it's attempting to decrypt it, but again, the input fails to go into the splash screen, but shows up (in cleartext) in the console at the top corner.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Board footer