You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-05 03:29:14

Salkay

[SOLVED]Submitting debug reports for Plasma 5

I'm crashing like crazy in Plasma 5, but the crash reporting assistant tells me:

The packages containing debug information for the following application and libraries are missing:

/usr/bin/plasmashell
/usr/lib/libQt5Qml.so.5
/usr/lib/libQt5Core.so.5

Are there specific packages that I can install? I checked the optdepends for plasma-workspace, but there was nothing relevant. There was some information in the link from the crash assistant, but I think that's outdated, as the linked issue is closed.

=UPDATE=
This seems to build fine with plasma-workspace 5.3.2-2 and qt5 5.5.0-1. By the time I tried again, the crash assistant complained that I didn't have debug symbols for mesa and libkscreen too. I had to build *all* of these with debug symbols (i.e. `options=(debug !strip)`), before the crash assistant stopped complaining. I guess I needed *all* symbols and partial installation was confusing to the crash assistant.

Last edited by Salkay (2015-07-29 23:10:43)

#2 2015-05-05 05:53:53

mauritiusdadd

Re: [SOLVED]Submitting debug reports for Plasma 5

The bug report you mention (FS#10975) is closed because the feature has been implemented: you just have to recompile the package yourself adding/enabling the debug option in the options array. For more information see https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/De … n_settings and https://www.archlinux.org/pacman/makepkg.conf.5.html.

About me - github

-- When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth -- Spock | Sherlock Holmes

#3 2015-05-05 06:34:34

Salkay

Thanks. So I'd have to download (package) sources and compile myself. From the first link, it seems like Arch could host the debug part as a separate (pre-compiled) package? I wonder if that's something that might be useful to the community.

#4 2015-05-05 06:54:30

mauritiusdadd

Actually I don't know any official repository for debug packages and personally I think that a such repository is not even needed. Even if it may be useful for some users, it will require extra work for packagers and a lot of extra space on the servers that will host the repo (not taking in account the Arch Rollback Machine). On the other hand, rebuilding yourself only the packages you need takes only a few minutes and it requires only the space for that packages (on your machine) wink

About me - github

-- When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth -- Spock | Sherlock Holmes

#5 2015-05-05 07:07:47

Salkay

Okay, I guess that's the way it is then. It does only take a few minutes, but if I have to download, patch the PKGBUILD and build for multiple KDE packages myself, then it takes quite a while.

In the example in the first post, the referenced files are owned by plasma-workspace, qt5-declarative and qt5-base, so I guess I'd have to rebuild all of those?

#6 2015-05-05 09:54:02

mauritiusdadd

Yes, I think you need to recompile all of them, but I have no Idea how the crash reporting assistant checks for the debugging symbols so I cant' guarantee that it will works... you have to try it.

About me - github

#7 2015-05-05 21:55:00

Salkay

Okay thanks for the answer. I've rebuilt plasma-workspace with `options=(debug !strip)`, which took about 5 minutes. I attempted to rebuild qt5-declarative and qt5-base, which are both part of the qt5 base package. It took over an hour on my quad-core
i7-2760QM then ended in `ERROR: A failure occurred in build`. I'll try again, but it might take hours to troubleshoot the compilation!

Also, I think Kubuntu used to ship debug symbols in the official repositories too. I can't remember exactly, but I think you could install them directly from the crash reporting assistant. Of course, Arch's packaging system is far superior wink, but I just thought to mention this out of interest.

I'll report back here after I fix the build and after the next crash and see if I compiled the right packages with the right flags.

#8 2015-05-06 04:57:11

Salkay

Ugh… building qt5 is failing with `makepkg -s`, even with the unmodified source. There are no obvious error messages, but here is the tail of the output anyway.

rm -f libQt5ScriptTools.so.5.4.1 libQt5ScriptTools.so libQt5ScriptTools.so.5 libQt5ScriptTools.so.5.4
g++ -Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro -Wl,--no-undefined -Wl,-O1 -Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro -fuse-ld=gold -shared -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-soname,libQt5ScriptTools.so.5 -o libQt5ScriptTools.so.5.4.1 .obj/qscriptdebuggervalue.o .obj/qscriptdebuggervalueproperty.o .obj/qscriptdebuggercommand.o .obj/qscriptdebuggerresponse.o .obj/qscriptdebuggerevent.o .obj/qscriptdebuggercommandexecutor.o .obj/qscriptdebuggercommandschedulerfrontend.o .obj/qscriptdebuggerbackend.o .obj/qscriptdebuggeragent.o .obj/qscriptdebuggerfrontend.o .obj/qscriptstdmessagehandler.o .obj/qscriptenginedebuggerfrontend.o .obj/qscriptdebuggerjob.o .obj/qscriptdebuggercommandschedulerjob.o .obj/qscriptvalueproperty.o .obj/qscriptobjectsnapshot.o .obj/qscriptscriptdata.o .obj/qscriptxmlparser.o .obj/qscriptbreakpointdata.o .obj/qscriptdebugger.o .obj/qscriptdebuggerconsole.o .obj/qscriptdebuggerconsolecommand.o .obj/qscriptdebuggerconsolecommandjob.o .obj/qscriptdebuggerconsolecommandgroupdata.o .obj/qscriptdebuggerconsolecommandmanager.o .obj/qscriptcompletiontaskinterface.o .obj/qscriptcompletiontask.o .obj/qscriptdebuggerconsoleglobalobject.o .obj/qscriptdebuggerscriptedconsolecommand.o .obj/qscriptedit.o .obj/qscriptsyntaxhighlighter.o .obj/qscriptdebuggerconsolewidgetinterface.o .obj/qscriptdebuggerconsolewidget.o .obj/qscriptdebuggerstackwidgetinterface.o .obj/qscriptdebuggerstackwidget.o .obj/qscriptdebuggerstackmodel.o .obj/qscriptdebuggerscriptswidgetinterface.o .obj/qscriptdebuggerscriptswidget.o .obj/qscriptdebuggerscriptsmodel.o .obj/qscriptdebuggerlocalswidgetinterface.o .obj/qscriptdebuggerlocalswidget.o .obj/qscriptdebuggerlocalsmodel.o .obj/qscriptdebuggercodewidgetinterface.o .obj/qscriptdebuggercodewidget.o .obj/qscriptdebuggercodeviewinterface.o .obj/qscriptdebuggercodeview.o .obj/qscriptdebuggercodefinderwidgetinterface.o .obj/qscriptdebuggercodefinderwidget.o .obj/qscriptdebugoutputwidgetinterface.o .obj/qscriptdebugoutputwidget.o .obj/qscriptbreakpointswidgetinterface.o .obj/qscriptbreakpointswidget.o .obj/qscriptbreakpointsmodel.o .obj/qscripterrorlogwidgetinterface.o .obj/qscripterrorlogwidget.o .obj/qscriptdebuggerstandardwidgetfactory.o .obj/qscriptenginedebugger.o .obj/qrc_scripttools_debugging.o .obj/moc_qscriptcompletiontaskinterface_p.o .obj/moc_qscriptcompletiontask_p.o .obj/moc_qscriptdebuggerconsoleglobalobject_p.o .obj/moc_qscriptedit_p.o .obj/moc_qscriptdebuggerconsolewidgetinterface_p.o .obj/moc_qscriptdebuggerstackwidgetinterface_p.o .obj/moc_qscriptdebuggerscriptswidgetinterface_p.o .obj/moc_qscriptdebuggerscriptsmodel_p.o .obj/moc_qscriptdebuggerlocalswidgetinterface_p.o .obj/moc_qscriptdebuggerlocalsmodel_p.o .obj/moc_qscriptdebuggercodewidgetinterface_p.o .obj/moc_qscriptdebuggercodeviewinterface_p.o .obj/moc_qscriptdebuggercodefinderwidgetinterface_p.o .obj/moc_qscriptdebugoutputwidgetinterface_p.o .obj/moc_qscriptdebugoutputwidget_p.o .obj/moc_qscriptbreakpointswidgetinterface_p.o .obj/moc_qscriptbreakpointsmodel_p.o .obj/moc_qscripterrorlogwidgetinterface_p.o .obj/moc_qscripterrorlogwidget_p.o  -L/HDD/salkay/Computer/PKGBUILDs/Qt_no_AltKeyNavigation.patch/qt5_5.4.1-4.orig.test/src/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.4.1/qtbase/lib -lQt5Core -lpthread -lQt5Widgets -L/HDD/salkay/Computer/PKGBUILDs/Qt_no_AltKeyNavigation.patch/qt5_5.4.1-4.orig.test/src/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.4.1/qtbase/lib -lQt5Gui -L/HDD/salkay/Computer/PKGBUILDs/Qt_no_AltKeyNavigation.patch/qt5_5.4.1-4.orig.test/src/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.4.1/qtscript/lib -lQt5Script -lQt5Core -lpthread -lGL 
ln -s libQt5ScriptTools.so.5.4.1 libQt5ScriptTools.so
ln -s libQt5ScriptTools.so.5.4.1 libQt5ScriptTools.so.5
ln -s libQt5ScriptTools.so.5.4.1 libQt5ScriptTools.so.5.4
rm -f ../../lib/libQt5ScriptTools.so.5.4.1
mv -f libQt5ScriptTools.so.5.4.1  ../../lib/ 
rm -f ../../lib/libQt5ScriptTools.so
rm -f ../../lib/libQt5ScriptTools.so.5
rm -f ../../lib/libQt5ScriptTools.so.5.4
mv -f libQt5ScriptTools.so ../../lib/ 
mv -f libQt5ScriptTools.so.5 ../../lib/ 
mv -f libQt5ScriptTools.so.5.4 ../../lib/ 
make[3]: Leaving directory '/HDD/salkay/Computer/PKGBUILDs/Qt_no_AltKeyNavigation.patch/qt5_5.4.1-4.orig.test/src/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.4.1/qtscript/src/scripttools'
make[2]: Leaving directory '/HDD/salkay/Computer/PKGBUILDs/Qt_no_AltKeyNavigation.patch/qt5_5.4.1-4.orig.test/src/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.4.1/qtscript/src'
make[1]: Leaving directory '/HDD/salkay/Computer/PKGBUILDs/Qt_no_AltKeyNavigation.patch/qt5_5.4.1-4.orig.test/src/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.4.1/qtscript'

#9 2015-05-06 05:26:27

mauritiusdadd

Salkay wrote:

Ugh… building qt5 is failing with `makepkg -s`, even with the unmodified source. There are no obvious error messages, but here is the tail of the output anyway.

You should check the whole output because the actual error can be many lines before the ending, especially if make is running multiple instances of the compiler at the same time. However I will try to build qt5 on my system and see if it fails too.

-- edit:

Sorry, it builds fine here.

Last edited by mauritiusdadd (2015-05-06 10:04:18)

About me - github

#10 2015-05-06 10:49:07

Salkay

Thanks, I've closed the terminal now, but I'll keep that in mind for next time. I did scan up several pages at the time, but couldn't find anything.

#11 2015-05-07 02:40:22

Salkay

Thanks for testing. I tried again with the latest version 5.4.1-5, and saved the full output this time. Here is the last 450 kb (due to pastebin limitations).

#12 2015-05-07 05:56:02

mauritiusdadd

Well, as you said there is no obvious error in that part of the log, you should check by hand where it fails. To be sure that the compilation stops at the first error you should add !makeflags to the options array and replace make with make -j1. If you don't want to recompile everything from the beginning you can use the command

makepkg --noextract --noprepare

About me - github

#13 2015-05-07 06:26:28

Salkay

Good idea. I forgot that I do have MAKEFLAGS="-j8" in /etc/makepkg.conf. It's attempting to build now. Since it took over an hour on my 8 cores, I guess it's going to take ages!

Just out of interest, what is the purpose of both options=('!makeflags') and make -j1? My understanding is that the first one alone should imply one core, making the second redundant?

#14 2015-05-07 07:26:55

mauritiusdadd

The purpose of  options=('!makeflags') is to be sure that the no other options are passed to make overriding thus the ones we specify in the PKGBUILD . The -j option does not specify the number of cores to be used, but instead it tells make how many jobs it is allowed to run simultaneously. If there is more than one concurrent job and one of them fails, the remainings will continue to run until they can. Passing  -j1  will force make to run one job at time and to stop when that job fails.

In order to reduce the compilation time, you can also cd into the srcdir and run make manually: it will try to resume the compilation from where it failed the last time.

Last edited by mauritiusdadd (2015-05-07 07:28:52)

About me - github

#15 2015-05-07 11:46:03

Salkay

Thanks for that information. It's still running, but I'll keep in mind that tip in mind if it fails again.

Your advice was excellent, and now I can clearly see the following error.

[1687/10084] ACTION Generating C++ API bundle code
FAILED: cd ../../../src/3rdparty/chromium/ui/accessibility; python ../../tools/json_schema_compiler/compiler.py "--root=../.." "--destdir=../../../../../src/core/Release/gen" "--namespace=" "--generator=cpp-bundle" "--impl-dir=chrome/browser/extensions/api" ax_enums.idl
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "../../tools/json_schema_compiler/compiler.py", line 170, in <module>
    opts.impl_dir)
  File "../../tools/json_schema_compiler/compiler.py", line 50, in GenerateSchema
    api_def = schema_loader.LoadSchema(os.path.split(schema)[1])
  File "/HDD/salkay/Computer/PKGBUILDs/qt_no_AltKeyNavigation.patch/qt5_5.4.1-5.orig.test/src/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.4.1/qtwebengine/src/3rdparty/chromium/tools/json_schema_compiler/schema_loader.py", line 64, in LoadSchema
    api_defs = idl_schema.Load(schema_path)
  File "/HDD/salkay/Computer/PKGBUILDs/qt_no_AltKeyNavigation.patch/qt5_5.4.1-5.orig.test/src/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.4.1/qtwebengine/src/3rdparty/chromium/tools/json_schema_compiler/idl_schema.py", line 462, in Load
    idl = idl_parser.IDLParser().ParseData(contents, filename)
  File "/HDD/salkay/Computer/PKGBUILDs/qt_no_AltKeyNavigation.patch/qt5_5.4.1-5.orig.test/src/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.4.1/qtwebengine/src/3rdparty/chromium/tools/json_schema_compiler/../../ppapi/generators/idl_parser.py", line 906, in __init__
    IDLLexer.__init__(self)
  File "/HDD/salkay/Computer/PKGBUILDs/qt_no_AltKeyNavigation.patch/qt5_5.4.1-5.orig.test/src/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.4.1/qtwebengine/src/3rdparty/chromium/tools/json_schema_compiler/../../ppapi/generators/idl_lexer.py", line 215, in __init__
    self.lexobj = lex.lex(object=self, lextab=None, optimize=0)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ply/lex.py", line 893, in lex
    if '.' not in lextab:
TypeError: argument of type 'NoneType' is not iterable
[1687/10084] RULE Generating C++ code from ax_enums.idl IDL files
FAILED: cd ../../../src/3rdparty/chromium/ui/accessibility; python ../../tools/json_schema_compiler/compiler.py "ax_enums.idl" "--root=../.." "--destdir=../../../../../src/core/Release/gen" "--namespace=" "--generator=cpp" "--impl-dir=chrome/browser/extensions/api"
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "../../tools/json_schema_compiler/compiler.py", line 170, in <module>
    opts.impl_dir)
  File "../../tools/json_schema_compiler/compiler.py", line 50, in GenerateSchema
    api_def = schema_loader.LoadSchema(os.path.split(schema)[1])
  File "/HDD/salkay/Computer/PKGBUILDs/qt_no_AltKeyNavigation.patch/qt5_5.4.1-5.orig.test/src/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.4.1/qtwebengine/src/3rdparty/chromium/tools/json_schema_compiler/schema_loader.py", line 64, in LoadSchema
    api_defs = idl_schema.Load(schema_path)
  File "/HDD/salkay/Computer/PKGBUILDs/qt_no_AltKeyNavigation.patch/qt5_5.4.1-5.orig.test/src/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.4.1/qtwebengine/src/3rdparty/chromium/tools/json_schema_compiler/idl_schema.py", line 462, in Load
    idl = idl_parser.IDLParser().ParseData(contents, filename)
  File "/HDD/salkay/Computer/PKGBUILDs/qt_no_AltKeyNavigation.patch/qt5_5.4.1-5.orig.test/src/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.4.1/qtwebengine/src/3rdparty/chromium/tools/json_schema_compiler/../../ppapi/generators/idl_parser.py", line 906, in __init__
    IDLLexer.__init__(self)
  File "/HDD/salkay/Computer/PKGBUILDs/qt_no_AltKeyNavigation.patch/qt5_5.4.1-5.orig.test/src/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.4.1/qtwebengine/src/3rdparty/chromium/tools/json_schema_compiler/../../ppapi/generators/idl_lexer.py", line 215, in __init__
    self.lexobj = lex.lex(object=self, lextab=None, optimize=0)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ply/lex.py", line 893, in lex
    if '.' not in lextab:
TypeError: argument of type 'NoneType' is not iterable
[1687/10084] CXX obj/src/3rdparty/chromium/third_party/webrtc/system_wrappers/source/system_wrappers.sort.o
ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed.
Makefile.gyp_run:770: recipe for target 'invoke_ninja' failed
make[4]: *** [invoke_ninja] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory '/HDD/salkay/Computer/PKGBUILDs/qt_no_AltKeyNavigation.patch/qt5_5.4.1-5.orig.test/src/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.4.1/qtwebengine/src/core'
Makefile:63: recipe for target 'sub-gyp_run-pro-make_first' failed
make[3]: *** [sub-gyp_run-pro-make_first] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory '/HDD/salkay/Computer/PKGBUILDs/qt_no_AltKeyNavigation.patch/qt5_5.4.1-5.orig.test/src/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.4.1/qtwebengine/src/core'
Makefile:48: recipe for target 'sub-core-make_first' failed
make[2]: *** [sub-core-make_first] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/HDD/salkay/Computer/PKGBUILDs/qt_no_AltKeyNavigation.patch/qt5_5.4.1-5.orig.test/src/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.4.1/qtwebengine/src'
Makefile:44: recipe for target 'sub-src-make_first' failed
make[1]: *** [sub-src-make_first] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/HDD/salkay/Computer/PKGBUILDs/qt_no_AltKeyNavigation.patch/qt5_5.4.1-5.orig.test/src/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.4.1/qtwebengine'
Makefile:745: recipe for target 'module-qtwebengine-make_first' failed
make: *** [module-qtwebengine-make_first] Error 2
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in build().
    Aborting...

I searched the web, and it looks similar (but not identical) to this bug. In that case, it's related to a bug upstream in python2-ply, which should be fixed in the next few days. Thanks for all your help!

#16 2015-05-08 01:52:14

Salkay

I installed plasma-workspace with `options=(debug !strip)` yesterday. I've just had another crash.

However, this time I was told:

The packages containing debug information for the following application and libraries are missing:
/usr/bin/plasmashell (deleted)

I'm not sure why is says "(deleted)" now.

#17 2015-05-08 06:21:29

arojas
Developer

Salkay wrote:

I'm not sure why is says "(deleted)" now.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/De … plications

#18 2015-05-08 06:22:07

mauritiusdadd

If I'm not wrong, plasma-workspace uses cmake. Did you remember to change the option CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE from 'Release' to 'Debug' (see https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/De … plications)?

-- edit: Oops, forgive me arojas, we posted at same time smile

Last edited by mauritiusdadd (2015-05-08 06:24:01)

About me - github

#19 2015-05-11 01:22:01

Salkay

Thanks to you both. I rebuilt and reinstalled with the suggested changes a few days ago. Plasma just crashed again, and I got the same missing libraries. i.e.

/usr/bin/plasmashell (deleted)

To summarise, the changes I've made to the plasma-workspace PKGBUILD are as follows.

28a29
> options=(debug !strip)
42c43
<     -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release \
---
>     -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug \

==EDIT==
Crashed again, and this time there was no "(deleted)".

/usr/bin/plasmashell
/usr/lib/libQt5Gui.so.5
/usr/lib/qt/plugins/platforms/libqxcb.so
/usr/lib/libQt5Quick.so.5
/usr/lib/libQt5Widgets.so.5
/usr/lib/libQt5Core.so.5

Last edited by Salkay (2015-05-11 08:15:05)

#20 2015-05-15 03:00:03

Salkay

I managed to build qt with the upstream fixes to python2-ply, by installing the git version. Qt5 now builds fine with `options=(debug !strip)`, but doesn't provide the correct debug symbols, according to the Plasma bug reporter. I read the wiki, but after adding `-developer-build -no-warnings-are-errors` Qt5 fails to build.

I suspect the information in the wiki is incorrect, as there is a github repository for building Qt5 with considerably more changes than those listed in the wiki. As each Qt5 build takes about 1.5 hours on my system with all 8 cores, this has taken a considerable amount of time! It's even slower when using `-j1`, for troubleshooting purposes.

Given that I can't seem to build plasmashell with debugging symbols anyway, as per my previous post, I'm tempted to give up on sending bug reports. It's a pity, since plasmashell crashes multiple times each day, in a fairly reproducable pattern (when waking from suspend, when connecting an additional monitor, etc.). Thanks for all the help anyway.

#21 2015-05-15 05:06:10

mauritiusdadd

I'm sorry to hear that it doesn't work, but quoting myself

mauritiusdadd wrote:

I have no Idea how the crash reporting assistant checks for the debugging symbols so I cant' guarantee that it will work...

However, even if you can't collect the information using the Crash Reposting Assistant, if you are lucky you can use the coredump generated by plasma (or whatever other program crashes). To check if a coredump have been generated, just use the command

coredumpctl

Last edited by mauritiusdadd (2015-05-15 05:06:33)

About me - github

#22 2015-05-15 05:29:06

Salkay

mauritiusdadd, sorry, I hope I wasn't interpreted as ungrateful! I very much appreciate the help you've given me. My previous comment was meant to be factual, not accusatory. Sorry if I was unclear!

Thanks for the information with coredumpctl. Interestingly it's spammed with the following, with 2–3 lines each second.

Fri 2015-05-15 14:20:31 AEST  16720  1000  1000   6 * /usr/lib/kscreenlocker_greet
Fri 2015-05-15 14:20:31 AEST  16722  1000  1000   6 * /usr/lib/kscreenlocker_greet
Fri 2015-05-15 14:20:31 AEST  16724  1000  1000   6 * /usr/lib/kscreenlocker_greet
Fri 2015-05-15 14:20:32 AEST  16726  1000  1000   6 * /usr/lib/kscreenlocker_greet
Fri 2015-05-15 14:20:32 AEST  16728  1000  1000   6 * /usr/lib/kscreenlocker_greet

Anyway, I'll check after the next plasmashell crash.

#23 2015-05-15 06:42:18

mauritiusdadd

Don't worry Salkay, I understood what you were saying and you have been clear smile
From the output of coredumpctl it seems that the culprit seems to be the screen locker. However I forgot to ask you were using and Intel CPU (in particular if it was an Haswell) and if you microcode was updated.

Last edited by mauritiusdadd (2015-05-15 06:42:34)

About me - github

#24 2015-05-18 05:35:51

Salkay

I am using an Intel CPU, the i7-2760QM. I think this is not Haswell.

Thanks for that information about the microcode! I can see it now in the beginner's guide of the wiki, but I missed it originally, since I've been running the grub from my old Ubuntu install. I've just changed my grub to the Arch version, and added the microcode fix. Cheers.

Board footer