You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-06 12:30:09

BertiBoeller

SD-card partitions only shown after starting gparted

Hello,

I'm experiencing a really strange problem: Whenever I insert a SD-card into my USB-card-reader no partitions are shown in Dolphin. But when I start gparted the partitions will be shown in Dolphin. Does anyone know how to debug this problem?

Before gparted is started only /dev/sde is shown. After starting gparted  /dev/sde1 and /dev/sde2 are also shown.

Regards
Martin

#2 2015-05-07 19:00:35

schmidtbag

Re: SD-card partitions only shown after starting gparted

What desktop environment are you using?  If you're using KDE, there should be a volume manager already installed and running.

#3 2015-05-07 19:26:51

frostschutz

many card readers don't notify the OS of media changes so the kernel does not know to check and re-read the partitions

this also happens for some card readers with click-in mechanism, if you put the card in without actually letting it "click" (which triggers the media change event)

card readers are weird that way but then you can get them for under $5 ... *shrug*

I also have the same issue with my (stone age) android smartphone... the PC sees two cardreaders as soon as you plug it in but the data on those cards is only available after you confirm it on the phone, and the PC does not really manage to update its mappings (/dev/disk/by-uuid and such) for the device when that happens, thus mounts fail [or wake up all other disks searching for the uuid] until you trigger reads from these devices some other way.

My workaround (for card readers) is simply... I unplug the entire reader whenever I switch cards... it's detected fine with the card already inside the reader as you plug it in.

Maybe there is a better solution - I haven't come across it yet.

#4 2015-05-07 19:27:52

BertiBoeller

Yes I'm using KDE and it's only since recently that I'm seeing this strange behavior. I have looked at the pacman update log file but besides a kernel update I haven't seen anything that caught my attention. A kernel downgrade didn't change the behavior though. I think it's not restricted to KDE but I have to test it again in Gnome just to be sure.

#5 2015-05-07 19:31:07

BertiBoeller

frostschutz wrote:

many card readers don't notify the OS of media changes so the kernel does not know to check and re-read the partitions

Ok, that's interesting. I think I have to play around with this a little further.

Board footer