You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-07 21:18:46

TJMcK

Drive activity light flashing continuously

Please help.  The past few days my USB3 SSD  light has been flashing continuously. (Arch Linux is installed on my USB3 SSD)

It may have started with a system crash that I had or by unplugging the SSD when it was in the process of booting (I know some files are corrupted).  Also I believe that some networkmanager and related files were upgraded around the time this problem started.

The light starts to flash continually even before I logon to a destop or windowmanager (I am using SLIM).  As previously indicated, I'm having network problems: 1) I have an internet connection, 2) but I cannot use the nm applet to edit or manage my network settings. 

I've used htop to look at the active files, but nothing is very active...  networkmanager, systemd-journald, init, and xorg are all using 1 to 3% cpu (all others using less)

I've tried too many things to mention here... but I'm just wondering if I'm right in thinking that the problem is networkmanager related?

(Btw, I have no problem accessing the SSD from a different system - the light does not flash when I do this.)

#2 2015-05-07 21:30:18

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Drive activity light flashing continuously

Last time you posted here you said it'd be your last post.  Did you change your mind?  Did you also change your mind about EvoLution?  Are you using archlinux or EvoLution?

EDIT:

TJMcK wrote:

I've tried too many things to mention here... but I'm just wondering if I'm right in thinking that the problem is networkmanager related?

If you can't be bothered to mention what you've done already, that's essentially implying that anyone who tries to offer a solution will likely be wasting their time.  It also further implies that you don't care about wasting other people's time as long as you don't have to spend your own time giving us relevant information.  I don't suspect these implications are intentional - but I'd suggest you rethink how you ask questions if you want them to come across well.

Further, if you think it might be network manager, just test if it's network manager.  Why ponder over an unknown when you can just look for yourself and immediately know.

Last edited by Trilby (2015-05-07 21:38:12)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer