You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-09 23:34:54

Watney

[SOLVED] Chromebook: help partitioning /dev/sda7 to install GRUB

My goal is to dual boot Arch and Chrome OS on an Acer C720. I repartitioned the drive using the Chrubuntu script. Following the Wiki, I created the file system for Arch on /dev/sda7.

The next step in the Wiki reads

Following the instructions for installing GRUB on GPT, use gdisk to create a 1007kb partition and set the type to EF02.

I don't understand what to do. Do I really make another partition on sda? I've read that if you change the partitioning, it will not boot into Chrome OS.

Can someone please help me understand how to create the 1007kb partition for GRUB? Thanks!!

Last edited by Watney (2015-05-10 00:32:05)

#2 2015-05-09 23:45:25

TheSaint

Re: [SOLVED] Chromebook: help partitioning /dev/sda7 to install GRUB

Did you click on the proposed link ?

do it good first, it will be faster than do it twice the saint wink

#3 2015-05-09 23:47:25

Watney

TheSaint wrote:

Did you click on the proposed link ?

Yes, I clicked on the link. I want to understand what I am doing, not just bash things into the terminal. Hence, I'm asking for help. Thanks

#4 2015-05-10 00:21:08

TheSaint

There aren't details of what you've done, think of what we can comment here.
What says

# parted -l /dev/sdX ### could be /dev/sda

Or even better what's your actual partitioning  scheme and how the partitions are laid out.
The note is clear (for me) and the link in it will show more details. The real point is to have the Post-MBR gap where GRUB will use to write its files.
If you don't have that  Post-MBR gap then you need to shrink the first partition from the beginning to leave that Mb gap.

do it good first, it will be faster than do it twice the saint wink

#5 2015-05-10 00:36:05

Watney

Thanks for your help, @TheSaint. I rolled the dice and created another partition, and Chrome OS didn't object.

Chome OS ships with 12 partitions, and I used gdisk to create another, /dev/sda13, which is a BIOS boot partition. To my surprise, I was able to boot into Chrome OS. I'm good to go, at least for now. Thanks again for reaching out!!

Board footer