You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-14 03:28:32

lucacerone
Website

[SOLVED] Kernel panic after latest upgrades

Hi everybody,
today I upgraded the packages in my system with

pacman -Syu

One of the packages was the linux-4.0.2 (if I remeber correctly), which gave some error during the building process.

Now I have an unusable computer: when I rebooted it, my computer is stuck after Grub with errors:

failed to execute /init (error -13)

Kernel panic - not syncing: No working init found.

Anybody can help me with this? I have no prior experience in fixing such an issue!

Thanks a lot in advance to all of you for the help!
Luca

Last edited by lucacerone (2015-05-15 20:24:10)

#2 2015-05-14 03:53:07

ewaller
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] Kernel panic after latest upgrades

I think your best solution is to use a change root environment.

In general, you boot a working system (like an install media). 

Mount your drives under that working system.

Use that working environment as a crutch and "enter" your system through a change root environment. That puts you inside the system you built, but using the kernel and modules from the working system that you booted.  Once in that environment, you can fix it as if you had successfully booted into it.

Once in the chroot, look at the journal for clues.  Look at /var/log/pacman.log to see what changed.  You might also reinstall the kernel (package name = linux ) from here (but be sure you mounted the boot partition before you did the chroot.)

In a different vein, did you use UUIDs in your boot loader configuration, or did you use device nodes ( /dev/sdYx notation).  Have you added drives? Removed drives?  Did you warm reboot rather than a cold start?  (Hint: UUIDs are good.)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2015-05-15 20:26:32

lucacerone
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Kernel panic after latest upgrades

Thanks a lot for the help, I had a version of virtualbox that required the kernel linux-4.0. I removed all the virtualbox related packages and reverted the kernel to the previous
version following the instructions in the wiki https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ke … all_kernel.

Board footer