You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-12 22:57:02

TheCreeL

Nemo, hdd mounting and permissions [SOLVED]

Hello folks.
In this brand new arch systemi have two disks: one SSD with the whole / ( in a single partition, yes i don't really need fancy stuff ) plus swap; and a second small ext4 HDD that i'd like to use to store music/picturse and whatever else.

Since the second drive wasn't mounting on it's own i tryied adding it in fstab:

# 
# /etc/fstab: static file system information
#
# <file system>					<dir>			<type>		<options>						<dump>	<pass>

UUID=5ba823d3-ef9e-4859-8288-c9ac71eea1ff	/         		ext4      	rw,relatime,data=ordered,discard			0 	1	#/dev/sda2 SYSTEM
UUID=df9659a6-903b-406d-b1c3-77652a695f61	none      		swap      	defaults  						0 	0	#/dev/sda1 SWAP

UUID=44aac5dc-8f75-46a0-b9c2-6dcc1e695077	/mnt/DATA_160		ext4		rw,relatime,users,data=ordered,uhelper=udisks2,exec		0	2	#/dev/sdb1 DATA

I copied the mounting option from those used by nemo, plus users ( i'll come back to this in a moment ).

I created the "DATA_160" directory in /mnt and changed the ownership to <myname>:users so i could do as i pleased inside it.
I find it frustrating that you have to esplicitly change the ownership of the mounting folder to work with the drive. But at least now it's working.

Although, at first, i tried to mount it via nemo, just by clicking to the disk picture under "devices": it asked me the password, mounted it but then i was locked out the drive because i didn't have enough permissions, what?

I really liked the idea to have all my mounted drives under the "places" menu in nemo but the only way i could make it show there was to mount it via nemo which was not very helpful.
So i tried to copy the mounting options to fstab adding "users" hoping i could bypass the root tiranny but of course i wasn't even close.
I tried mounting it in /run/media/<my name> hoping nemo was somewhat parsing the list of devices from there but yet no luck.

Now i'm kinda wandering in the dark and i've come here for help. How can i mount the hard drive and make it show in nemo as a device on its own, instead of passing via a folder inside another device?

I don't really care about automounting at start, i just want to integrate the mount with nemo or make the already integrated one usable.

I thought of changing the ownership of /run/media/faceless or even just media but i felt reluctant for two reasons: One. i'm always nervous when playing aroung ownerships, especially in grim places where i don't know what is really going on ( like /run ). Two. I feared those kind of directories were dinamically created with every login or device esplicitly mounted with udisks so that my changes wouldn't last very long.

Cheers!

Last edited by TheCreeL (2015-05-15 12:19:58)

#2 2015-05-13 20:00:07

Malkymder

Re: Nemo, hdd mounting and permissions [SOLVED]

Anything you put in the /mnt folder usually will not appear on the mounted devices list ... you could use /media instead maybe

Hope this helps

#3 2015-05-14 22:40:20

TheCreeL

In my setup /media doesn't even exists yet, i'd have to create it myself.
I don't think a behaviour such listing mounted devices in the system would default to something the user would have to manually create

#4 2015-05-15 02:49:37

Malkymder

Just letting you know why you're not seeing them in nemo is because your using the /mnt mount point which hides devices mounted in that folder.

As for auto mounting, you can have a look at AutoFS, Udisks, Udisks2 all available in the arch wiki...
or Udev

as for permisions in your fstab try simple like

UUID=44aac5dc-8f75-46a0-b9c2-6dcc1e695077	        /media/DATA_160       ext4    defaults        0       2

Last edited by Malkymder (2015-05-15 03:19:42)

#5 2015-05-15 12:13:20

TheCreeL

Thank you, i thought i already tried the "defaults" option but now i remember i forgot an 's' ...
I'll try to play around with udisks wrappers and stuff.

I read in the wiki that you can set udisks to automatically mount stuff under a /media directory. Maybe that way it get automatically created and may work better than creating it myself.

EDIT: To think it was that easy... Your fstab line works like a charm. Nano shows it. I have write and execute rights to all the files inside. No need for strange u-stuff to mess around with.
Thank you! wink

Last edited by TheCreeL (2015-05-15 12:19:25)

Board footer