You are not logged in.

#76 2015-04-25 10:44:51

Mercader1902

Re: qutebrowser - A keyboard-driven, vim-like browser based on PyQt5

Changing the user agent maked the trick, thanks. smile

BTW, @chickenPie4tea, you can use Keepassx to manage your passwords. But you're right, a form filler (and a history tab like dwb) will be actually very useful

#77 2015-04-26 07:25:18

chickenPie4tea

hmm what string do you use exactly for user agent, their are no examples given for the main ones like mozilla or chrome only

# user-agent (user-agent):
#     User agent to send. Empty to send the default.
#     Default:

I notice if I go to whatsmyuseragent.com it tells me my firefox user agent is
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:37.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/37.0

So I would just paste that into the config file - yes just tried it and it changes the appearance of a page but how do you know what to put for a browser you don't have installed like say chrome?

Last edited by chickenPie4tea (2015-04-26 09:12:44)

You can like linux without becoming a fanatic!

#78 2015-04-26 09:11:24

Mercader1902

:set network user-agent

Hit space and you will see the options.

It's not a real issue, but I can't use my number pad enter button when I try to open an url or with any other command.

Last edited by Mercader1902 (2015-04-26 09:12:08)

#79 2015-04-26 09:16:44

chickenPie4tea

thanks Mercader1902
I didn't realize :set network user-agent would show me a list

You can like linux without becoming a fanatic!

#80 2015-04-28 05:39:10

cowsquad

How in the world I enable flash and javascript on this browser?
Edited:
Nevermind. It is working now

Last edited by cowsquad (2015-04-28 05:58:32)

#81 2015-05-13 16:34:02

klaus

I've been enjoying qutebrowser on my 5 year-old netbook, it's refreshing to have a browser that is up-to-date and works with vim-like keybindings. However, yesterday I had it stopped recognizing any kind of connection even though Firefox properly loaded every website. I rebooted and it's working correctly now, maybe it had something to do with the crazy amount of Qt5 updates lately. I don't know if this is a known issue, but I can try to provide information if it happens again.

Also, I've looked at the manual and couldn't find a way to clear the downloads bar. Am I blind or is that information missing?

#82 2015-05-16 03:07:48

ephemeralCuriosities

Decided to give this browser a go and after customizing it a tad I'm close to using it as my browser of choice. It starts up fast, the shortcuts were easy to memorize compared to uzbl, it feels smoother than Vimperator on Firefox and it doesn't have this weird hangup on certain sites I frequent that webkitgtk-based browsers have (something about css shadows? I forget what caused it,exactly, but I think that was it).

Only thing keeping me from switching to it full-time is the issues I keep having with Flash performance: It lags horribly, the framerate can get atrocious on HD videos on youtube and I can't watch stuff on Twitch. I'd switch to the html5 player on Youtube if I could figure out how to keep the player volume separate from the computer's (raising it raises the master volume for some reason, which means I have to quickly pause the thing the moment it loads if I decide to listen to some music unless I want to wake all my neighbors with folk metal at full volume) but then I'd lose the ability to watch videos there at 60fps. Searched the web to see if it's a qutebrowser issue or a qt-webkit issue but I couldn't find anything, and I don't know what the cause might be (closest I've found is VDPAU, but all the solutions seem to be either for Nvidia cards or for that weird color bug on the webkitgtk browsers so I got nothing).

But yeah, other than that I'm loving it! I just can't switch fully until I've found a workaround for that.

#83 2015-05-16 18:46:37

The Compiler
Website

klaus wrote:

However, yesterday I had it stopped recognizing any kind of connection even though Firefox properly loaded every website. I rebooted and it's working correctly now, maybe it had something to do with the crazy amount of Qt5 updates lately. I don't know if this is a known issue, but I can try to provide information if it happens again.

If you got "the specified configuration can not be used" or so, this sounds like QTBUG-40234 - even though that should've been resolved I've seen it creeping back recently for some reason...

klaus wrote:

Also, I've looked at the manual and couldn't find a way to clear the downloads bar. Am I blind or is that information missing?

You can use :download-remove --all (bound to cd) for that. You're not the only one with that issue though - maybe I should add a :download-clear.

ephemeralCuriosities wrote:

Decided to give this browser a go and after customizing it a tad

Looks great! Is that herbstluftwm? smile

Only thing keeping me from switching to it full-time is the issues I keep having with Flash performance: It lags horribly, the framerate can get atrocious on HD videos on youtube and I can't watch stuff on Twitch.

Weird. I don't see why the performance would be worse than with other browsers using NPAPI flash (Firefox/WebKitGTK based ones).

I'd switch to the html5 player on Youtube if I could figure out how to keep the player volume separate from the computer's (raising it raises the master volume for some reason, which means I have to quickly pause the thing the moment it loads if I decide to listen to some music unless I want to wake all my neighbors with folk metal at full volume) but then I'd lose the ability to watch videos there at 60fps. Searched the web to see if it's a qutebrowser issue or a qt-webkit issue but I couldn't find anything, and I don't know what the cause might be (closest I've found is VDPAU, but all the solutions seem to be either for Nvidia cards or for that weird color bug on the webkitgtk browsers so I got nothing).

That's most likely a PulseAudio "feature" because it makes total sense to connect your master volume to the loudest application... Try adding flat-volumes = no to /etc/pulse/daemon.conf.

>>> from __future__ import braces
  File "<stdin>", line 1
SyntaxError: not a chance

#84 2015-05-16 21:58:46

ephemeralCuriosities

The Compiler wrote:

Looks great! Is that herbstluftwm? smile

Thanks! And it's bspwm, actually (might try herbstluftwm in the future).

The Compiler wrote:

Only thing keeping me from switching to it full-time is the issues I keep having with Flash performance: It lags horribly, the framerate can get atrocious on HD videos on youtube and I can't watch stuff on Twitch.

Weird. I don't see why the performance would be worse than with other browsers using NPAPI flash (Firefox/WebKitGTK based ones).

Yeah, it's weird. Works perfectly fine on Firefox but on qutebrowser the performance just drops (framerate doesn't even reach 30, with everything getting even worse if I try moving the mouse around). Installed it on my laptop just now to see if it's just an issue with the desktop but the same happens there, though due to that setup having Conky on the desktop I noticed it's actually a huge spike on cpu usage that's made even more noticeable due to the setup's age (70-80% usage compared to around 30-40% on Firefox, both set to 720p on youtube). Again, I suspect VDPAU might be involved due to that color issue on webkit-gtk, though it could also be the AMD graphics card on both of them causing issues (didn't know AMD drivers had issues on Linux until I installed it).

TheCompiler wrote:

I'd switch to the html5 player on Youtube if I could figure out how to keep the player volume separate from the computer's (raising it raises the master volume for some reason, which means I have to quickly pause the thing the moment it loads if I decide to listen to some music unless I want to wake all my neighbors with folk metal at full volume)

That's most likely a PulseAudio "feature" because it makes total sense to connect your master volume to the loudest application... Try adding flat-volumes = no to /etc/pulse/daemon.conf.

And that fixed it, thanks! I'll still be switching to Firefox for Twitch and Flash stuff but now that that annoyance is gone I'll be using it for Youtube a lot more often.

#85 2015-05-17 06:40:09

Mercader1902

I have the same issues with flash than @ephemeralCuriosities with an integrated Intel card.
The  name of the instance for flash is "python" and not "plugin-container" like every other browsers. It seems logical to me but maybe it can be helpful...

And, on G+ when I open an image, the comments doesn't show up and I can't even close the image.

Thank you for all @TheCompiler. smile

Last edited by Mercader1902 (2015-05-17 06:41:14)

#86 2015-05-19 03:18:30

klaus

TheCompiler wrote:

You can use :download-remove --all (bound to cd) for that. You're not the only one with that issue though - maybe I should add a :download-clear.

cd sounds logical, should've looked into that. Thanks.

And that fixed it, thanks! I'll still be switching to Firefox for Twitch and Flash stuff but now that that annoyance is gone I'll be using it for Youtube a lot more often.

Maybe you'd be better off with a combination of mpv, livestreamer and mps-youtube.

#87 2015-05-19 15:59:06

ephemeralCuriosities

klaus wrote:

Maybe you'd be better off with a combination of mpv, livestreamer and mps-youtube.

Eh, I'd rather keep all regular video stuff to one program, personally, and while I do have a setup involving gPodder + mplayer on the laptop but it's solely for news and science channels. I'll give Livestreamer + mplayer a go, though. Didn't know about that one.

Oh yeah, random thing now that I've used the browser a while longer: The Trillian web client won't let me log in from Qutebrowser, which I only just found out about due to being forced to use it until I can fix the laptop's backlight (it died yesterday). No error message, either - it just won't let me. Also, it's a crapshoot whether or not Vimeo vids load but I think that's more a webkit issue in general, based on some searching.

Also, I'm curious: What improvements does the Blink engine have over webkit? The lack of keyboard-centric browsers that aren't webkit-based makes me want to support the switch 100% but I'm also wondering if it has any improvements in terms of memory usage. Asking since all webkit browsers I used eventually reached many gigs of memory after some prolonged browsing (it's one of the things that kept me on Firefox before this one came along), and while I tried searching for info I haven't found much.

Last edited by ephemeralCuriosities (2015-05-19 16:42:53)

#88 2015-06-01 09:12:28

Kolibry

What an amazing browser, it's so fast big_smile

Is it possible to, like in dwb, just type the letters of a quickmark, and then the browser loads it automatically once it finds a match. I really don't like to type Enter each time to load the quickmark.

Thanks for sahring this program with everyone ! big_smile

Asus 1225B - 11,6" -  AMD E-60 Dual Core 1,3Ghz - 4 Go RAM - Disque dur SSD 128 Go -  Radeon HD6290
ArchLinux Openbox - My Github

#89 2015-06-01 11:49:40

The Compiler
Website

Mercader1902 wrote:

It's not a real issue, but I can't use my number pad enter button when I try to open an url or with any other command.

I added that to the default bindings where <Enter> is bound in 6c2fe34.

Mercader1902 wrote:

I have the same issues with flash than @ephemeralCuriosities with an integrated Intel card.
The  name of the instance for flash is "python" and not "plugin-container" like every other browsers. It seems logical to me but maybe it can be helpful...

I can't really do anything about the flash issues I'm afraid, and when I report this upstream, most likely they won't care...

Wait for the QtWebEngine/Chromium backend, and things will get better smile

Mercader1902 wrote:

And, on G+ when I open an image, the comments doesn't show up and I can't even close the image.

Maybe try setting your user agent to Chrome (:set network user-agent and see the completion) and see if that helps.

Oh yeah, random thing now that I've used the browser a while longer: The Trillian web client won't let me log in from Qutebrowser, which I only just found out about due to being forced to use it until I can fix the laptop's backlight (it died yesterday). No error message, either - it just won't let me.

I opened #718 for that. I'll investigate when I get some time, but right now I'm rather busy. Can you maybe try with some other QtWebKit/Qt5 based browser, such as otter-browser?

Also, it's a crapshoot whether or not Vimeo vids load but I think that's more a webkit issue in general, based on some searching.

Yeah - I noted that in #473 - I thought I reported it upstream already, but it seems I didn't.

Also, I'm curious: What improvements does the Blink engine have over webkit? The lack of keyboard-centric browsers that aren't webkit-based makes me want to support the switch 100% but I'm also wondering if it has any improvements in terms of memory usage. Asking since all webkit browsers I used eventually reached many gigs of memory after some prolonged browsing (it's one of the things that kept me on Firefox before this one came along), and while I tried searching for info I haven't found much.

I never really looked at memory consumption to be honest, so I have no idea.

Other advantages would be that it's more maintained, probably a bit faster and more secure (as it's basically a full-blown Chromium), and more HTML5 features are implemented.

Kolibry wrote:

Is it possible to, like in dwb, just type the letters of a quickmark, and then the browser loads it automatically once it finds a match. I really don't like to type Enter each time to load the quickmark.

Someone actually opened #711 for that just yesterday, I didn't even consider it. I'll take a look when I get the time, but I prefer the current behavior, so it might take a while until I get to it.

File "<stdin>", line 1

#90 2015-06-01 13:36:26

Kolibry

The Compiler wrote:
Kolibry wrote:

Someone actually opened #711 for that just yesterday, I didn't even consider it. I'll take a look when I get the time, but I prefer the current behavior, so it might take a while until I get to it.

Ok, that's good to know, maybe someone capable of implementing it will show up if you don't have the time to smile

Asus 1225B - 11,6" -  AMD E-60 Dual Core 1,3Ghz - 4 Go RAM - Disque dur SSD 128 Go -  Radeon HD6290

#91 2015-06-03 07:07:17

ephemeralCuriosities

The Compiler wrote:

I opened #718 for that. I'll investigate when I get some time, but right now I'm rather busy. Can you maybe try with some other QtWebKit/Qt5 based browser, such as otter-browser?

Tested it out with that browser and yeah, same issue. Guessing it's probably a QtWebKit thing, then.

#92 2015-06-10 10:38:45

Vedexent

Great browser!

dwb has started going randomly segfault on me, so I wanted to find an alternative, and this one is beautiful!

Only drawback for me that I can see - from your comment here - that there doesn't appear to be any caret/visual/text-yank functionality. I may have to tinker on a hack around - I agree retro-fitting that feature is a big job,

But in general, this is a great browser.

I'm wondering how well this would work under embedded Qt; render this browser directly to the framebuffer from the TTY? No X11 needed? Something to experiment with smile

#93 2015-06-11 05:48:11

The Compiler
Website

Vedexent wrote:

Only drawback for me that I can see - from your comment here - that there doesn't appear to be any caret/visual/text-yank functionality. I may have to tinker on a hack around - I agree retro-fitting that feature is a big job,

ArturShaik (the guy who asked here) contributed caret browsing a while ago (see #626 / #653 for the PRs).

It's not in a release yet (but should soon), so you'll have to use -git. Then, simply press v.

Vedexent wrote:

I'm wondering how well this would work under embedded Qt; render this browser directly to the framebuffer from the TTY? No X11 needed? Something to experiment with smile

No idea! I've heard it works flawlessly under Wayland without X11/XWayland. I guess it would work with eglfs/linuxfb as well, but I never tried. Please let me know if you do!

Florian

File "<stdin>", line 1

#94 2015-06-15 04:51:00

Kolibry

Hi,

I have a question (how original that is smile ) :

Is it possible to edit the right click menu ? I would like to add an entry "Open with mpv" but don't see where to look at.

Thanks in advance !

#95 2015-06-15 04:55:45

The Compiler
Website

Kolibry wrote:

Is it possible to edit the right click menu ? I would like to add an entry "Open with mpv" but don't see where to look at.

Not yet, no - the right-click menu is provided by QtWebKit currently, and not customized by qutebrowser at all (that's also why it says "open in new window" but opens in a new tab, for example tongue).

See #349 - however that's rather low-priority for me (contributions welcome!).

File "<stdin>", line 1

#96 2015-06-18 17:06:00

bartuka

I've been using luakit, dwb, vimp, vimprobable2.. and giving a try each one of them out there. I have to say that qutebrowser is fitting my needs just as I expected. I am really concerned with CPU/RAM consumption for my web browser. I've been using MAC OSX for a long time and this year I decided to run against the tide and install a full linux distro in my computer changing my whole workflow. FF was suiting me well before regarding the memory leaks.

From all the test I've done so far I would like to point out some aspects.

1) Why when I am using a web browser with 3 tabs opened  in tabbed mode (like qutebrowser) and I close 2 of them I have not a decrease in RAM usage comparable with this single one opened in fresh instance. (I've been doing this test watching the RAM usage with command top in terminal)

2)qutebrowser is giving me some trouble dealing with SSL certificates. The wifi from my University may have some weird certificate and I keep receiving this option to "continue using the SSL certificate"  like this one http://postimg.org/image/5gl9glu7b/.

I would like some tips from you guys about how can I make the qutebrowser even more efficient. What can I disable that will not affect much my browsing experience? I usually watch youtube videos and spent my time at gmail. And how about the SSL certificate message?

Thanks and I am very happy using qutebrowser. It's so nicely done. Congratulations to all involved.

Last edited by bartuka (2015-06-18 17:09:03)

Specs: Macbook Pro Mid 2012 + 16GB RAM + 256GB SSD + 512GB HDD
Windows Manager: i3wm
File Manager: Ranger
Web Browser: qutebrowser

#97 2015-07-15 11:26:22

skanky

I've got a scripting question. If I want to use (say):

:spawn mpv {url}

in a key binding, is there an easy way to get access to the mpv UI, or even just to kill it from the web page?
Otherwise, do I need to fire it up in a new terminal window? Anyone doing this and got any tips?
If I can get this all sorted, I'll be able to remove flash. smile

"...one cannot be angry when one looks at a penguin."  - John Ruskin
"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

#98 2015-07-15 11:36:08

bartuka

skanky, when I use the same scrpt you wrote, I can kill the mpv window opened only by pressing "q". But I have a question close to yours, if a video on youtube has many different quality option let say 720p or 320p. How can I choose the one I will open with mpv?

#99 2015-07-15 11:55:40

skanky

bartuka, thanks for the reply. I don't get a window if I use that command above, however your response made me wonder if I'm missing something and another look at the manual gave me this:

:spawn mpv  --profile=pseudo-gui {url}

which gives me what I need.

For your question, have a look at the --ytdl  --ytdl-format and --ytdl-raw-option options in the mpv man page.
I don't know if that will give you the definitive answer, ypu'll probaby need to look into youtbe-dl options as well, maybe.

"...one cannot be angry when one looks at a penguin."  - John Ruskin
"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

#100 2015-07-15 12:13:38

bartuka

thanks for your tips! I think that the following code did the trick.

:spawn mpv --ytdl-format=bestvideo+bestaudio {url}

You know if is possible to open with smplayer? Everytime I try it I receive a message telling me that smplayer was unable to find the URL.

Board footer