You are not logged in.

#26 2006-01-23 15:37:35

arooaroo
Website

Re: Jacman 0.3 released

dibblethewrecker wrote:

Hmmmm - i it entirely necessary for the jacman jar file to even carry the version?  Would it save unecessary complication to remove it?

Well, I think it makes sense to keep each jar distinct. Clearly, in this instance, it would have avoided this issue, but I think in general I'll still keep up with this approach of having a specific jar per release.

If you recall, the original jacman PKGBUILD generated the jacman.sh itself, rather than having a separate .sh file. Couldn't we go back to that approach as it means there's only one file to keep up to date?

#27 2006-01-23 15:51:13

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Um, no, we can't do that because....we don't do that, it's against the "rules".

What we can do is symlink jacman.jar to the versioned jar and refer to the symlink in the wrapper.  That means we don't have to update the wrapper script and the symlink creation is automatically handled using $pkgver - so it's be pretty reliable.  How's that?

#28 2006-01-23 16:20:50

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

IIRC, keeping versions in the jar files is discouraged in the arch Java packaging guidelines. However, those seem to have disappeared completely. :-S  Here.... http://www.buchuki.com/misc/archjava.html  Not even sure if that's the latest revision. I don't see anything about jar file names in there after all, so perhaps I'm talking out of my ass...

Dusty

#29 2006-01-23 16:59:23

arooaroo
Website

dibblethewrecker wrote:

Um, no, we can't do that because....we don't do that, it's against the "rules".

[Assuming you are referring to the embedding sh] Oh, I copied that approach from Dusty's jedit PKGBUILD, and he's one wise dude. We all follow what he does! (/me shakes his fist at Dusty: "I pity the foo' who sets a bad example...")

dibblethewrecker wrote:

What we can do is symlink jacman.jar to the versioned jar and refer to the symlink in the wrapper.  That means we don't have to update the wrapper script and the symlink creation is automatically handled using $pkgver - so it's be pretty reliable.  How's that?

I've got another solution. Change the following lines in the PKGBUILD:

jar cf jacman-$pkgver.jar *
mv jacman-$pkgver.jar $startdir/pkg/usr/share/jacman

To

jar cf jacman.jar *
mv jacman.jar $startdir/pkg/usr/share/jacman

Then, the jacman.sh script will just have jacman.jar (with no version number at all).

What my PKGBUILD does is download the full jacman jar; uncompress; move its dependent libraries to the appropriate place; bundle the remains back in the a new jacman.jar (which no longer has the libs). The name of the new jar can be anything you want. It just needs to be added to the classpath.

Job's a good'un.

#30 2006-01-23 22:29:30

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

arooaroo wrote:

I've got another solution. Change the following lines in the PKGBUILD:

jar cf jacman-$pkgver.jar *
mv jacman-$pkgver.jar $startdir/pkg/usr/share/jacman

To

jar cf jacman.jar *
mv jacman.jar $startdir/pkg/usr/share/jacman

Then, the jacman.sh script will just have jacman.jar (with no version number at all).

I'm trying to fix the jacman in the community repo. I did the above modification and jacman starts. However, this error messag is printed out when I access the installation "submenu":

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.StackOverflowError
        at java.util.ArrayList.get(Unknown Source)
        at ca.odell.glazedlists.BasicEventList.get(BasicEventList.java:159)
        at java.util.Collections.indexedBinarySearch(Unknown Source)
        at java.util.Collections.binarySearch(Unknown Source)
        at andyr.jacman.gui.InstallPackageDialog.getDepends(InstallPackageDialog                .java:679)
        at andyr.jacman.gui.InstallPackageDialog.getDepends(InstallPackageDialog                   .java:687)
        at andyr.jacman.gui.InstallPackageDialog.getDepends(InstallPackageDialog                    .java:687)
        at andyr.jacman.gui.InstallPackageDialog.getDepends(InstallPackageDialog                     .java:687)

The last line is repeated several times. I don't know what this means. Jacman seems to be working fine.

#31 2006-01-23 22:56:40

arooaroo
Website

Thanks for the info Snowman. Not seen this before. Stack overflows are caused when the code recurses too deeply. The code in question is the the bit that generates the dependency tree. I'm wondering whether there's some sort of circular dependency. Could you tell me which package you selected, or if it's just what appears naturally, could you tell me the first entry in the table?

#32 2006-01-23 22:59:56

WillySilly

Its fixed and up in Community.

#33 2006-01-23 23:07:47

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

I get the error while installing abiword-plugins. If I install ascii (the package), there's no error.

Building it with updated PKGBUILD in abs still gives me the error.

#34 2006-01-23 23:10:02

arooaroo
Website

WillySilly wrote:

Its fixed and up in Community.

Cheers.

So who should I contact in future releases? I normally go to Dibble since he's the TU assigned to the package in Community. Should I continue down this route, or contact TUs in general, e.g., via the AUR mailing list?

#35 2006-01-23 23:16:46

WillySilly

The AUR Mailing List would probably be best

#36 2006-01-23 23:17:42

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

#37 2006-01-24 16:49:12

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Normally there should be no need for you to contact anyone.  Flag the pkg out of date in the AUR and I'd get right on it.  However I can't at the mo and the rest of the TUs know that (or at least they should) but I wouldn't expect them to check my pkgs to see if they have been flagged or not.  Therefore, yeah, the mailing list is a good idea big_smile  I actually posted about the problem on the ML for you in this case, which I assume is where WillySilly and Snowman came in.  Thanks guys smile

/me ends defense of embarassing situation smile

#38 2006-02-26 12:50:09

Kin

Hi,

I have a problem with jacman, well not exactly with jacman itself. I'll just describe it.

- I start jacman with my normal user account ( not root )
- I click on any package and INSTALL it.
- The install shell box comes u and says "error: you cannot perform this operation unless you are root."

Of course I'm not root, so it would be great if there is auto check if you are user or root and asks for the root password.
Perhaps you could simply add a "sudo" before it tries to install it ?

thanks

Kin

#39 2006-02-26 16:39:27

MillTek

Hi,

Is there a way to control the size of the font used in the terminal that opens during the 'update' procedure?  I used Nvidia Twinview with a resolution of 2560x1024 and the fonts are almost illegible.

Hope this is an easy fix.

Thanks,

Jim

#40 2006-02-26 16:50:33

arooaroo
Website

Kin wrote:

Hi,

I have a problem with jacman, well not exactly with jacman itself. I'll just describe it.

- I start jacman with my normal user account ( not root )
- I click on any package and INSTALL it.
- The install shell box comes u and says "error: you cannot perform this operation unless you are root."

Of course I'm not root, so it would be great if there is auto check if you are user or root and asks for the root password.
Perhaps you could simply add a "sudo" before it tries to install it ?

thanks

Kin

Kin, I agree, this would be nicer. However, I've never had the intention of doing this. It's up to the user to sudo when running jacman, just like you need to when running pacman (this was stated in the readme).

That's not to say that if someone were to submit a patch for Jacman to allow this, I would reject it. I'm just saying that it's something I personally won't be doing.

#41 2006-02-26 16:58:49

arooaroo
Website

MillTek wrote:

Hi,

Is there a way to control the size of the font used in the terminal that opens during the 'update' procedure?  I used Nvidia Twinview with a resolution of 2560x1024 and the fonts are almost illegible.

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for highlighting this. It is possible to do something about this - it will require quite a few changes in the code and so it won't be appearing any time soon. sad

#42 2006-02-26 19:03:26

MillTek

That's OK arooaroo.  It's a really neat package.

Jim

#43 2006-02-26 20:12:12

arooaroo
Website

You could either buy some strong glasses, or load up one of those maginfy apps, like kmag!

#44 2006-03-10 09:13:36

motyR

Hi,
i was exited to see some java frontend for pacman since i dont really care for all those python binding pacman frontends(too unstable if u'd ask me), any how i was trying to load jacman with a nother pacman conf file like this:
jacman -c /etc/pacmanUnstable.conf 
but seems like what ever i do it allways reading the original pacman.conf, any suggestions?

excellent app BTW:)

#45 2006-03-10 12:58:01

arooaroo
Website

I'm glad you like the app and thanks for bringing this to my attention.

I haven't looked at the code yet but clearly it's a bug and is not something that can be fixed without code changes.

I'll try and fix it, and release it soon. What this space!

#46 2006-03-10 13:29:35

arooaroo
Website

Ok, I've just looked at the source code and for some unknown reason, the code that is processing the command-line arguments is expecting -t rather than -c!

So, in the short term, you can run:

jacman -t /etc/pacmanUnstable.conf

BUT, there's something you need to be aware of. Jacman is a front-end. So if you wish to install/update packages from repos that are in your custom conf but not in the normal pacman.conf then you will run into problems. Because when Jacman calls pacman, pacman will say, "er, what repo are you talking about?! I can't see it!".

So, in reality, there's not actually much point in specifying an alternative conf other than for browsing, I suppose.

#47 2006-03-29 07:00:34

ToastedToad

Thank you arooaroo and the other fine folks who helped out on this project.

I've been using Arch for about a month and a half now and have stuck to the terminal, besides firestarter :oops: , the whole way...until now.

Beautiful app, coming from Debian and it's offsprings, I became accutomed to having Synaptic around for the convenient search function. Now I have jacman. My transition is complete.

Thank you.

#48 2006-03-29 09:20:36

arooaroo
Website

Indeed - it's a horses for courses thing, I guess. Many people don't want GUIs; but many others do.

I'm actually in the first camp (at least when it comes to requiring a pacman front-end)! However, it's been a really fun project to work on. I've been so busy at the moment that I've not had a chance to go back and start on v0.4. But it will happen...

#49 2006-03-31 06:50:24

ToastedToad

Yeah I actually have no "need" for a GUI frontend to...heck ,most things. But it's nice to have a good one when I "want" one.

Thanks again.

#50 2006-05-03 10:17:09

eNTi

sorry, for my noobish question, but how do i run jacman as non-root?

Board footer