You are not logged in.

#1 2006-03-27 23:55:21

galiyosha

ivman not automounting because of missing HAL property

I have no idea what went wrong, but ivman is not doing any automounting anymore. Be it a CD or USB mass storage device, it always ends up with the following message:

IvmConfig/IvmConfigCommon.c:202 (ivm_device_is_mountable) Device /dev/hdc won't be mounted because no mount policy was specified on either the volume or parent device

I've looked at the aforementioned source file and what ivman is looking for is a storage.policy.should_mount HAL property. Running lshal reveals HAL really does not set this.

Greping for should_mount in /usr/share/hal yielded no results and I got lost totally trying to edit the HAL policies by myself. How can I enable this or do the automounting in some other manner? (ivman doesn't need to be necessarily involved...)

Thanks in advance for help.

#2 2006-03-28 07:22:51

JGC
Developer

Re: ivman not automounting because of missing HAL property

Seems hal 0.5.7 is exporting this one:
storage.automount_enabled_hint = true

#3 2006-03-28 11:51:09

galiyosha

JGC wrote:

Seems hal 0.5.7 is exporting this one:
storage.automount_enabled_hint = true

That is indeed true, but ivman 0.6.8, that is in current/extra/system for the time being, doesn't check for this property at all. ivman 0.6.10 does, but only after looking for storage.policy.should_mount. If it doesn't find that, it stops looking and cancels the whole "should I mount this?" reasoning.

From what I've read on the Internet, I got the impression that storage.policy.should_mount is used for somewhat coarser control of mouting -- let's say on a whole bus (IDE/USB/IEEE1394) -- than storage.automount_enabled_hint. But that's only an impression.

So is this a bug in ivman or a misconfiguration of HAL?

#4 2006-03-29 00:29:59

shadowhand
Website

You need to configure your fstab properly. Each device you want managed by hal needs to have a proper mountpoint in /media instead of /mnt. Also, you should probably be mounting /dev/hdcX (where X is the partition number), not just /dev/hdc.

·¬»· i am shadowhand, powered by webfaction

#5 2006-03-29 10:14:00

galiyosha

shadowhand wrote:

You need to configure your fstab properly. Each device you want managed by hal needs to have a proper mountpoint in /media instead of /mnt.

That wasn't necessary at all in my old installation of Arch Linux. There was nothing in /etc/fstab apart from system hard drive partitions. When HAL and ivman were both running, I just inserted a CD and it appeared as /media/cdrecorder. I plugged in a USB drive with two partitions -- one ntfs and one xfs -- and they BOTH appeared in /media. The ntfs one in /media/VOLUME_LABEL, the xfs one in /media/usbdisk.

Looking at the HAL policies of my old installation, I found out that one file, /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-storage-policy.fdi, is missing entirely on my new system. Guess what: it contains a lot of storage/volume.policy.should_mount and desired_mount_point flags. So I just copied it over and - voilà! - it works!

I'm really dumb I haven't looked into this earlier. Apparently, this file was present in hal-0.5.6-1 oackage and is no longer there in hal-0.5.7-2 package. JGC, maybe you could possibly put it back? Or is the aforementioned behaviour too intrusive and undesirable? Thanks for your work!

Also, you should probably be mounting /dev/hdcX (where X is the partition number), not just /dev/hdc.

Of course, but /dev/hdc is a DVD-ROM drive in my computer. (BTW, thanks for your xfce4-svn packages as well! One happy user over here... smile

Board footer