You are not logged in.

#276 2015-03-15 17:02:17

hobarrera
Member
From: CABA, Argentina
Registered: 2011-04-12
Posts: 339
Website

Re: Macbook Air 2013

step-2 wrote:

that's what i meant by HEAT & NOISE in my first comment  :

the laptop gets around 90 degree while watching a flash video & then the fans spin up 6000 rpm .

Yes, yes, I think we kind of misunderstood each other, so let me clarify: There's an issue many of us have been having with overheat and high cpu usage (and noise, due to the fan running a lot). However, this issue started manifesting on linux 3.18. Earlier versions did not have that issue. Reverting to linux 3.17 sends battery duration back up to 11hs.

If you're having the issues you mentioned on 3.10, then you have a different problem (with very similar simptoms).

step-2 wrote:

and NO am not trying to be funny , this the Archlinux fourms about a thread talking about apple laptop ,

and apple doesn't want you to run anything but osx , that's a given ,

if anything you are the one traying to be funny , you can't even update driver or BIOS in linux , that's also a given ,

so i don't see where the problem is .

These machines don't have a BIOS, so I'm starting to fail to see your point. The MacBook Air 2013 uses UEFI.

Installing a firmware is impossible for us (at least not without wiping the entire system), so firmware upgrade don't affect us. Hence, I'm saying that newer firmware are of little use to use. It's all kind of irrelevant though, since this doesn't seem to be a firmware issue (at least not the issue most of us are having isn't).


GPG Key | AUR packages | github

caffeine-ng: Temporarily disable screensaver/sleeping with a simple click.

Offline

#277 2015-03-15 17:08:20

step-2
Member
Registered: 2012-05-08
Posts: 84

Re: Macbook Air 2013

hobarrera wrote:
step-2 wrote:

that's what i meant by HEAT & NOISE in my first comment  :

the laptop gets around 90 degree while watching a flash video & then the fans spin up 6000 rpm .

Yes, yes, I think we kind of misunderstood each other, so let me clarify: There's an issue many of us have been having with overheat and high cpu usage (and noise, due to the fan running a lot). However, this issue started manifesting on linux 3.18. Earlier versions did not have that issue. Reverting to linux 3.17 sends battery duration back up to 11hs.

If you're having the issues you mentioned on 3.10, then you have a different problem (with very similar simptoms).

step-2 wrote:

and NO am not trying to be funny , this the Archlinux fourms about a thread talking about apple laptop ,

and apple doesn't want you to run anything but osx , that's a given ,

if anything you are the one traying to be funny , you can't even update driver or BIOS in linux , that's also a given ,

so i don't see where the problem is .

These machines don't have a BIOS, so I'm starting to fail to see your point. The MacBook Air 2013 uses UEFI.

Installing a firmware is impossible for us (at least not without wiping the entire system), so firmware upgrade don't affect us. Hence, I'm saying that newer firmware are of little use to use. It's all kind of irrelevant though, since this doesn't seem to be a firmware issue (at least not the issue most of us are having isn't).

i have both kernels 3.19.1 & 3.10.35-1 & both having the same problem


when i said BIOS i meant on a windows laptop , am not a noob , my point is you can't update anything through linux , that's why most peole dualboot, or triple boot even .

and you must have updated your laptop to osx 10.10 otherwise you wouldn't have had any issue ( the gpe66 , and now the heat and noise )

Last edited by step-2 (2015-03-15 17:09:01)

Offline

#278 2015-03-15 17:24:05

hobarrera
Member
From: CABA, Argentina
Registered: 2011-04-12
Posts: 339
Website

Re: Macbook Air 2013

step-2 wrote:

when i said BIOS i meant on a windows laptop , am not a noob , my point is you can't update anything through linux , that's why most peole dualboot, or triple boot even .

I no longer even understand what you're trying to say. I use ArchLinux. I don't use windows. I don't use OS X. I don't dualboot. I don't know anybody who does.

step-2 wrote:

and you must have updated your laptop to osx 10.10 otherwise you wouldn't have had any issue ( the gpe66 , and now the heat and noise )

Again, you're NOT having the same issue the rest of us are having.
The issue we're having is fixed by installing linux < 3.18 (as I've stated over and over). The issue you're having is not, since you can reproduce it with 3.10. I honestly don't know how to make this clearer.

I don't know what gpe66 is, and I know this my current issue isn't a firmware issue, because I can supress it by downgrading my kernel.

And, no, I've never run OS X 10.10; it was released on 2014, and the last day this MacBook ran OS X was the day I purchased it, on september 2013. I still have the stock firmware.


GPG Key | AUR packages | github

caffeine-ng: Temporarily disable screensaver/sleeping with a simple click.

Offline

#279 2015-03-15 17:29:07

step-2
Member
Registered: 2012-05-08
Posts: 84

Re: Macbook Air 2013

hobarrera wrote:
step-2 wrote:

when i said BIOS i meant on a windows laptop , am not a noob , my point is you can't update anything through linux , that's why most peole dualboot, or triple boot even .

I no longer even understand what you're trying to say. I use ArchLinux. I don't use windows. I don't use OS X. I don't dualboot. I don't know anybody who does.

step-2 wrote:

and you must have updated your laptop to osx 10.10 otherwise you wouldn't have had any issue ( the gpe66 , and now the heat and noise )

Again, you're NOT having the same issue the rest of us are having.
The issue we're having is fixed by installing linux < 3.18 (as I've stated over and over). The issue you're having is not, since you can reproduce it with 3.10. I honestly don't know how to make this clearer.

I don't know what gpe66 is, and I know this my current issue isn't a firmware issue, because I can supress it by downgrading my kernel.

And, no, I've never run OS X 10.10; it was released on 2014, and the last day this MacBook ran OS X was the day I purchased it, on september 2013. I still have the stock firmware.

no body forced you to understand , it looks like you are hurting your mind ,


anyway your solution is not a solution , stay on an outdated kernel ?

100% positive it's a firmware issue , how come the problem is here on windows .


also fogot to say to say , you are the only one using arch on mackbook air , so let us what other people say

Last edited by step-2 (2015-03-15 17:33:02)

Offline

#280 2015-03-15 18:27:46

hobarrera
Member
From: CABA, Argentina
Registered: 2011-04-12
Posts: 339
Website

Re: Macbook Air 2013

step-2 wrote:

no body forced you to understand , it looks like you are hurting your mind ,

Please, let's keep this professional and avoid trolling/insulting.

step-2 wrote:

anyway your solution is not a solution , stay on an outdated kernel ?

I don't know what you mean by "your solution". I never proposed any solution and have reported the issue:
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/44128

step-2 wrote:

100% positive it's a firmware issue , how come the problem is here on windows .

Indeed, your issue may be a firmware issue, considering you have a different firmware than I do.

The "macbook air 2013 overheats with kernel >= 3.18 but not before"-issue doesn't seem like it's firmware related, because it's only reproducible with certain kernel versions.

step-2 wrote:

also fogot to say to say , you are the only one using arch on mackbook air , so let us what other people say

Indeed, other shave reported the issue appearing with 3.18, but they may have upgraded their firmware in the timeframe.

You might want to try another Linux distro (eg: Fedora?) and measure CPU/heat with that; this issue may be related (it'll also help you confirm if there's a firmware issue).

You might also want to try re-installing the stock firmware (if that's possible), and that'll give you a definitive answer.


GPG Key | AUR packages | github

caffeine-ng: Temporarily disable screensaver/sleeping with a simple click.

Offline

#281 2015-03-15 18:46:14

step-2
Member
Registered: 2012-05-08
Posts: 84

Re: Macbook Air 2013

hobarrera wrote:
step-2 wrote:

no body forced you to understand , it looks like you are hurting your mind ,

Please, let's keep this professional and avoid trolling/insulting.

step-2 wrote:

anyway your solution is not a solution , stay on an outdated kernel ?

I don't know what you mean by "your solution". I never proposed any solution and have reported the issue:
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/44128

step-2 wrote:

100% positive it's a firmware issue , how come the problem is here on windows .

Indeed, your issue may be a firmware issue, considering you have a different firmware than I do.

The "macbook air 2013 overheats with kernel >= 3.18 but not before"-issue doesn't seem like it's firmware related, because it's only reproducible with certain kernel versions.

step-2 wrote:

also fogot to say to say , you are the only one using arch on mackbook air , so let us what other people say

Indeed, other shave reported the issue appearing with 3.18, but they may have upgraded their firmware in the timeframe.

You might want to try another Linux distro (eg: Fedora?) and measure CPU/heat with that; this issue may be related (it'll also help you confirm if there's a firmware issue).

You might also want to try re-installing the stock firmware (if that's possible), and that'll give you a definitive answer.

my problem is close to yours , open a flash video and open gnome system monitor extension ( or the equivalent in your desktop ) & report back the thermal and fan rpm .

and you say prior 3.18 the problem doesn't exist right ? then that's your solution , to stay on 3.17 ,

and sorry am on 3.19.1 & 3.14.35-1-lts and it's the same issue .


doing the same activity on osx the thermal is abbout 50 degree and fan rpm about 1500 ,

clearly your laptop doesn't have the same battery life because of the heat & rpm , but i haven't tested the battery life yet ( it stays plugged in most the time ) .


am trying linux-ck right now & will report back what happens .

Offline

#282 2015-03-15 19:35:21

hobarrera
Member
From: CABA, Argentina
Registered: 2011-04-12
Posts: 339
Website

Re: Macbook Air 2013

step-2 wrote:

my problem is close to yours , open a flash video and open gnome system monitor extension ( or the equivalent in your desktop ) & report back the thermal and fan rpm .

I don't have flash installed, but there's nothing to be learnt from that test. Opening a very CPU-hungry app (flash+video is an excelent example) will always fire up CPU usage and increase fan speed. That's perfectly normal behaviour.
Old (eg: linux < 3.17) behaviour also dropped battery about 50% with these scenarios.

step-2 wrote:

and you say prior 3.18 the problem doesn't exist right ? then that's your solution , to stay on 3.17 ,

I don't have a solution, hence, the open ticket in the issue tracker. Hopefully, that'll escalate enough to get reviewed.

step-2 wrote:

and sorry am on 3.19.1 & 3.14.35-1-lts and it's the same issue .

Have you tried linux (NON-lts) < 3.17? I'm not sure about lts, but if it's a kernel regression, maybe the regression was backported to lts (I'm hontesly very unfamiliar with lts, sorry). Correct my if I'm talking out of my ass here, again, I'm unfamiliar with lts's lifecycle.

It might be worth trying 3.17 to determine if you're suffering the same issue or not. In my case, installing 3.17 makes the issue dissapear (cpu usage down, heat down, battery up).

step-2 wrote:

clearly your laptop doesn't have the same battery life because of the heat & rpm , but i haven't tested the battery life yet ( it stays plugged in most the time ) .

Indeed, heat, fan and battery are all related. In case it's relevant, with this new CPU/heat regression, I'm getting 5-6hs of battery (I'm not sure if I mentioned the exact numebr recently). I've reached 12hs on very good days, with 11hs being my average with linux < 3.17.

step-2 wrote:

am trying linux-ck right now & will report back what happens.

I have to do the same, but haven't gotten around to it. Especially the building and configuring gummyboot for it. I need to do this with time because I don't want to break my work laptop. big_smile

The feedback will be appreciated here.


GPG Key | AUR packages | github

caffeine-ng: Temporarily disable screensaver/sleeping with a simple click.

Offline

#283 2015-03-17 17:05:43

step-2
Member
Registered: 2012-05-08
Posts: 84

Re: Macbook Air 2013

hobarrera wrote:

I don't have flash installed, but there's nothing to be learnt from that test. Opening a very CPU-hungry app (flash+video is an excelent example) will always fire up CPU usage and increase fan speed. That's perfectly normal behaviour.
Old (eg: linux < 3.17) behaviour also dropped battery about 50% with these scenarios.

sorry buddy but you are living in the old days , flash is more power efficient now days ( 15-20% cpu utilization ) & it uses gpu acceleration , but it doesn't need to be flash , fire up any video in the native chrome or firefox players using scripts , it also raises the heat & fan issue ( before this bug the heat stayed around 50 degree ), my point from this is that you also suffer from the heat & fan noise issue also ( same as me ) but you don't now it yet .

hobarrera wrote:

I don't have a solution, hence, the open ticket in the issue tracker. Hopefully, that'll escalate enough to get reviewed.

you said to me over & over stay on any kernel prior to 3.18 , hence it's your solution ( in my opinion it is not one to stay on an outdated kernel ) .

hobarrera wrote:

Have you tried linux (NON-lts) < 3.17? I'm not sure about lts, but if it's a kernel regression, maybe the regression was backported to lts (I'm hontesly very unfamiliar with lts, sorry). Correct my if I'm talking out of my ass here, again, I'm unfamiliar with lts's lifecycle.

It might be worth trying 3.17 to determine if you're suffering the same issue or not. In my case, installing 3.17 makes the issue dissapear (cpu usage down, heat down, battery up).

as i said am not going to try 3.17 or 3.16 or 3.15 ( because they are outdated & not lts ), and even if i wanted , i can't find any of them in the aur nor additional repos .

hobarrera wrote:

I have to do the same, but haven't gotten around to it. Especially the building and configuring gummyboot for it. I need to do this with time because I don't want to break my work laptop. big_smile

The feedback will be appreciated here.

i have tried linux-ck & linux-mainline ( which is 4.0 rc3 ) with no luck , both having the same problem as earlier versions , hope it helps .

Offline

#284 2015-03-17 17:19:25

hobarrera
Member
From: CABA, Argentina
Registered: 2011-04-12
Posts: 339
Website

Re: Macbook Air 2013

step-2 wrote:

you said to me over & over stay on any kernel prior to 3.18 , hence it's your solution ( in my opinion it is not one to stay on an outdated kernel ) .

That is a lie. I never suggested that you stay on an older kernel. Please, stop spreading lies.

step-2 wrote:

as i said am not going to try 3.17 or 3.16 or 3.15 ( because they are outdated & not lts ), and even if i wanted , i can't find any of them in the aur nor additional repos .

If you are unwilling to attempt to confirm if it's a firmware of software issue, don't expect anybody else to help you. I know my particular issue is not reproducible with those kernels, hence I'm certain it's a kernel regression. If you're not willing to run tests on you machine to pinpoint the problem, it's unlikely anyone will help you. Just sit back, and wait until somebody else with similar issues to yours reports them, tests fixes, and it makes it back upstream.


GPG Key | AUR packages | github

caffeine-ng: Temporarily disable screensaver/sleeping with a simple click.

Offline

#285 2015-03-17 17:38:32

step-2
Member
Registered: 2012-05-08
Posts: 84

Re: Macbook Air 2013

hobarrera wrote:

That is a lie. I never suggested that you stay on an older kernel. Please, stop spreading lies.

behave & man your words , otherwise i can be kid like you .

hobarrera wrote:

If you are unwilling to attempt to confirm if it's a firmware of software issue, don't expect anybody else to help you. I know my particular issue is not reproducible with those kernels, hence I'm certain it's a kernel regression. If you're not willing to run tests on you machine to pinpoint the problem, it's unlikely anyone will help you. Just sit back, and wait until somebody else with similar issues to yours reports them, tests fixes, and it makes it back upstream.

am not asking you nor anybody for help kid , already reported to apple bug reporter ,

just responding out of courtesy , which obviously you don't deserve .

Offline

#286 2015-03-17 18:04:42

fsckd
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2009-06-15
Posts: 4,157

Re: Macbook Air 2013

Please calm down, you are talking past each other. In half of your posts you both essentially agree.

Please see these two sections of the forum etiquette: Respect other users and Be responsible.


aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

Offline

#287 2015-03-24 13:36:03

stratosmacker
Member
Registered: 2013-10-15
Posts: 13

Re: Macbook Air 2013

fsckd wrote:

Please calm down, you are talking past each other. In half of your posts you both essentially agree.

Please see these two sections of the forum etiquette: Respect other users and Be responsible.


Thank you!

I was sitting here trying to figure out if I could upgrade from my 3.17 kernel yet, and all the arguing was filling my screen!!

I will try to compare the sources of a later 3.17 branch and 3.18 to possibly narrow down the culprit. No promises

Offline

#288 2015-03-24 14:36:53

hobarrera
Member
From: CABA, Argentina
Registered: 2011-04-12
Posts: 339
Website

Re: Macbook Air 2013

I've some confusing news. This is my battery duration with the laptop sitting "idle" (unused) with Xorg running:

linux < 3.17: About 11-12hs.
linux >=3.18 ^ linux < 4.0: About 4-5hs.
linux >= 4.0 (testing with latest rc, via linux-git): 7hs.

So it seems that 4.0 improves a bit, but only slightly. It still isn't as good as 3.17. Maybe FS#43910 might be responsable for this difference, I'll try and check and report back my findings.


GPG Key | AUR packages | github

caffeine-ng: Temporarily disable screensaver/sleeping with a simple click.

Offline

#289 2015-04-28 15:57:21

hobarrera
Member
From: CABA, Argentina
Registered: 2011-04-12
Posts: 339
Website

Re: Macbook Air 2013

I've recently noticed that my laptop has not been activating fan when overheating:

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Physical id 0:  +66.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 0:         +64.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 1:         +63.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

applesmc-isa-0300
Adapter: ISA adapter
Exhaust  :   1200 RPM  (min = 1200 RPM, max = 6500 RPM)
TB0T:         +36.8°C  
TB1T:         +36.8°C  
TB2T:         +33.0°C  
TC0E:         +67.0°C  
TC0F:         +68.0°C  
TC0P:         +59.2°C  
TC1C:         +64.0°C  
TC2C:         +62.0°C  
TCGC:         +65.0°C  
TCHP:         +52.8°C  
TCMX:         +66.0°C  
TCSA:         +66.0°C  
TCXC:         +65.8°C  
TH0A:         +77.0°C  
TH0B:         +64.0°C  
TH0C:        -127.0°C  
TH0F:         -15.0°C  
TH0R:         -15.0°C  
TH0V:         +66.8°C  
TH0a:         +77.0°C  
TH0b:         +64.0°C  
TH0c:        -127.0°C  
THSP:         +51.0°C  
TM0P:         +53.5°C  
TPCD:         +70.0°C  
TS2P:         +58.5°C  
TW0P:         +50.2°C  
Ta0P:         +51.8°C  
Th1H:         +41.2°C  
Tm0P:         +49.0°C  
Ts0P:         +33.5°C  
Ts0S:         +41.0°C  

The overheat is due to me running several quite heavy apps (including android emulator), so it's understandable, but I'm worried that the fans aren't really kicking in.

Is anybody else having this issue? Any hints?


GPG Key | AUR packages | github

caffeine-ng: Temporarily disable screensaver/sleeping with a simple click.

Offline

#290 2015-04-28 16:29:50

amin
Member
Registered: 2013-06-30
Posts: 6
Website

Re: Macbook Air 2013

Have you tried using macfanctld-git from AUR?

Offline

#291 2015-04-28 16:32:11

hobarrera
Member
From: CABA, Argentina
Registered: 2011-04-12
Posts: 339
Website

Re: Macbook Air 2013

amin wrote:

Have you tried using macfanctld-git from AUR?

No, I'll give it a try. I never needed it before (had this laptop since September 2013).
I'm wondering if anybody else is having this issue (eg: a regression), or if it's just me.


GPG Key | AUR packages | github

caffeine-ng: Temporarily disable screensaver/sleeping with a simple click.

Offline

#292 2015-04-28 16:47:14

mkraemer
Member
Registered: 2011-06-09
Posts: 12

Re: Macbook Air 2013

Fans are working fine for me, without the need to use any software to manage them.
The only power related daemons running are thermald and tlp, none of which take control of the fans I think..

I'm still on 3.17.7-1 though.. have you switched to a newer kernel?

Offline

#293 2015-04-28 16:47:47

amin
Member
Registered: 2013-06-30
Posts: 6
Website

Re: Macbook Air 2013

hobarrera wrote:
amin wrote:

Have you tried using macfanctld-git from AUR?

No, I'll give it a try. I never needed it before (had this laptop since September 2013).
I'm wondering if anybody else is having this issue (eg: a regression), or if it's just me.

Give it a try. The fans on my MBA also don't work as fast as they do in OSX, without using macfanctld.
It's been like this from the beginning (July 2014) that I got the laptop.

However, with macfanctld it's pretty normal.

BTW, I'm on 3.17.6

Last edited by amin (2015-04-28 16:51:29)

Offline

#294 2015-04-29 18:08:56

stratosmacker
Member
Registered: 2013-10-15
Posts: 13

Re: Macbook Air 2013

hobarrera wrote:

I've some confusing news. This is my battery duration with the laptop sitting "idle" (unused) with Xorg running:

linux < 3.17: About 11-12hs.
linux >=3.18 ^ linux < 4.0: About 4-5hs.
linux >= 4.0 (testing with latest rc, via linux-git): 7hs.

So it seems that 4.0 improves a bit, but only slightly. It still isn't as good as 3.17. Maybe FS#43910 might be responsable for this difference, I'll try and check and report back my findings.

I read yesterday that the 4.1 (I think?) kernel will be introducing a handful of super useful Haswell and Broadwell power improvements. See http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/34868.html

So I am hopeful, but also still on 3.17.1

Offline

#295 2015-05-14 00:38:01

hobarrera
Member
From: CABA, Argentina
Registered: 2011-04-12
Posts: 339
Website

Re: Macbook Air 2013

I've been trying to use xf86-input-mtrack (and the git version), but it simply did not work, with no errors.

Has anyone else here tried using it?


GPG Key | AUR packages | github

caffeine-ng: Temporarily disable screensaver/sleeping with a simple click.

Offline

#296 2015-05-20 05:39:21

jhohisel
Member
Registered: 2015-05-20
Posts: 1

Re: Macbook Air 2013

Not sure if this was already suggested for overheating/fan issues, but maybe try resetting the SMC?

As for the power usage, I can be of help!

I had this same issue on my laptop with Ubuntu 15.04 (Kernel 3.19)

With Kernel 3.18, thunderbolt hot-plug support was added. This was done by telling the ACPI that the OS is Darwin (OS X). Incidentally, a bug was introduced preventing the laptop from entering the lowest CPU state.

The fix is to add 'acpi_osi=' to GRUB kernel parameters, which also will mean that thunderbolt devices will have to be plugged in before booting.
Should bring back your 11-12 hr battery life.

Offline

#297 2015-05-20 12:36:37

hobarrera
Member
From: CABA, Argentina
Registered: 2011-04-12
Posts: 339
Website

Re: Macbook Air 2013

jhohisel wrote:

As for the power usage, I can be of help!

I had this same issue on my laptop with Ubuntu 15.04 (Kernel 3.19)

With Kernel 3.18, thunderbolt hot-plug support was added. This was done by telling the ACPI that the OS is Darwin (OS X). Incidentally, a bug was introduced preventing the laptop from entering the lowest CPU state.

The fix is to add 'acpi_osi=' to GRUB kernel parameters, which also will mean that thunderbolt devices will have to be plugged in before booting.
Should bring back your 11-12 hr battery life.

Wow, thanks. I'm glad to find a solution for this regression! I've done some preliminary testing and that flag seems to fix the power usage issue.

I was also unaware that thunderbolt hot-plug had been added, so I was paying the price for it without getting the benefits!

I'll follow up on the mentioned upstream issue. Thanks for bringing this information to us (I noticed you registered exclusively for this).


GPG Key | AUR packages | github

caffeine-ng: Temporarily disable screensaver/sleeping with a simple click.

Offline

#298 2015-05-30 12:21:50

Pitmairen
Member
Registered: 2007-08-02
Posts: 35

Re: Macbook Air 2013

Does anyone else have problem with suspending?

It have been working perfectly until the last couple of days. Now after closing and opening the lid a couple of times it will no longer suspend when i close the lid. If i type "systemctl suspend" in the terminal it will suspend and then wake up again immediately.

[ 1474.529615] ------------[ cut here ]------------
[ 1474.529656] WARNING: CPU: 0 PID: 0 at drivers/gpu/drm/i915/intel_display.c:9756 intel_check_page_flip+0xda/0xf0 [i915]()
[ 1474.529660] Kicking stuck page flip: queued at 88106, now 88110
[ 1474.529662] Modules linked in: snd_hda_codec_hdmi videodev media msr btusb bluetooth hid_generic hid_apple joydev mousedev intel_rapl usbhid iosf_mbi bcm5974 wl(PO) hid x86_pkg_temp_thermal intel_powerclamp coretemp kvm_intel iTCO_wdt iTCO_vendor_support kvm mac_hid i915 evdev crct10dif_pclmul crc32_pclmul crc32c_intel ghash_clmulni_intel drm_kms_helper snd_hda_codec_cirrus applesmc aesni_intel snd_hda_codec_generic aes_x86_64 led_class drm input_polldev lrw gf128mul cfg80211 glue_helper ablk_helper cryptd bdc_pci snd_hda_intel snd_hda_controller thunderbolt intel_gtt snd_hda_codec rfkill i2c_i801 snd_hwdep i2c_algo_bit snd_pcm dw_dmac_pci pcspkr dw_dmac_core i2c_core lpc_ich snd_timer snd mei_me mei soundcore shpchp sbs sbshc spi_pxa2xx_platform ac battery apple_bl button processor sch_fq_codel
[ 1474.529728]  mba6x_bl(O) video ext4 crc16 mbcache jbd2 sd_mod ahci libahci libata scsi_mod xhci_pci xhci_hcd usbcore usb_common
[ 1474.529746] CPU: 0 PID: 0 Comm: swapper/0 Tainted: P           O    4.0.4-2-ARCH #1
[ 1474.529748] Hardware name: Apple Inc. MacBookAir6,1/Mac-35C1E88140C3E6CF, BIOS MBA61.88Z.0099.B18.1501071032 01/07/2015
[ 1474.529751]  0000000000000000 364c96ca62cf9413 ffff88026f203d18 ffffffff81574b23
[ 1474.529755]  0000000000000000 ffff88026f203d70 ffff88026f203d58 ffffffff81074dda
[ 1474.529759]  ffff88026f203d88 ffff8802657d4000 ffff880264095000 ffff8802640951a0
[ 1474.529763] Call Trace:
[ 1474.529766]  <IRQ>  [<ffffffff81574b23>] dump_stack+0x4c/0x6e
[ 1474.529783]  [<ffffffff81074dda>] warn_slowpath_common+0x8a/0xc0
[ 1474.529788]  [<ffffffff81074e65>] warn_slowpath_fmt+0x55/0x70
[ 1474.529811]  [<ffffffffa0521d6a>] intel_check_page_flip+0xda/0xf0 [i915]
[ 1474.529831]  [<ffffffffa04ed54c>] ironlake_irq_handler+0x2ac/0x1000 [i915]
[ 1474.529838]  [<ffffffff810e109c>] ? __hrtimer_start_range_ns+0x31c/0x440
[ 1474.529845]  [<ffffffff810cf2fe>] handle_irq_event_percpu+0x3e/0x1f0
[ 1474.529850]  [<ffffffff810cf4f1>] handle_irq_event+0x41/0x70
[ 1474.529855]  [<ffffffff810d24ce>] handle_edge_irq+0x9e/0x110
[ 1474.529862]  [<ffffffff81018352>] handle_irq+0x22/0x40
[ 1474.529867]  [<ffffffff8157d00f>] do_IRQ+0x4f/0xf0
[ 1474.529872]  [<ffffffff8157af2d>] common_interrupt+0x6d/0x6d
[ 1474.529874]  <EOI>  [<ffffffff8101fb4d>] ? native_sched_clock+0x2d/0xa0
[ 1474.529885]  [<ffffffff8143229d>] ? cpuidle_enter_state+0x5d/0x1a0
[ 1474.529889]  [<ffffffff8143228d>] ? cpuidle_enter_state+0x4d/0x1a0
[ 1474.529894]  [<ffffffff81432417>] cpuidle_enter+0x17/0x20
[ 1474.529898]  [<ffffffff810b72a0>] cpu_startup_entry+0x350/0x480
[ 1474.529904]  [<ffffffff8156b1f5>] rest_init+0x85/0x90
[ 1474.529908]  [<ffffffff818eb035>] start_kernel+0x48b/0x4ac
[ 1474.529912]  [<ffffffff818ea120>] ? early_idt_handlers+0x120/0x120
[ 1474.529916]  [<ffffffff818ea339>] x86_64_start_reservations+0x2a/0x2c
[ 1474.529921]  [<ffffffff818ea49c>] x86_64_start_kernel+0x161/0x184
[ 1474.529923] ---[ end trace cd2f18af530be297 ]---
[ 1478.410868] wl0: link up (wlp3s0)

This is dmesg after i try to suspend with "systemctl suspend":

[ 2684.242966] PM: Syncing filesystems ... done.
[ 2684.275621] PM: Preparing system for mem sleep
[ 2684.275778] Freezing user space processes ... (elapsed 0.001 seconds) done.
[ 2684.277165] Freezing remaining freezable tasks ... (elapsed 0.001 seconds) done.
[ 2684.278387] PM: Entering mem sleep
[ 2684.278435] Suspending console(s) (use no_console_suspend to debug)
[ 2684.280125] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Synchronizing SCSI cache
[ 2684.280373] wl0: link down (wlp3s0)
[ 2684.280380] wl_suspend: PCI Suspend handler
[ 2684.280393] wl_suspend: Not WOWL capable
[ 2684.280933] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Stopping disk
[ 2684.282823] cfg80211: Calling CRDA to update world regulatory domain
[ 2684.653293] PM: suspend of devices complete after 374.634 msecs
[ 2684.690554] PM: late suspend of devices complete after 37.248 msecs
[ 2684.690963] thunderbolt 0000:07:00.0: suspending...
[ 2684.691634] thunderbolt 0000:07:00.0: stopping RX ring 0
[ 2684.691639] thunderbolt 0000:07:00.0: disabling interrupt at register 0x38200 bit 12 (0x1001 -> 0x1)
[ 2684.691655] thunderbolt 0000:07:00.0: stopping TX ring 0
[ 2684.691660] thunderbolt 0000:07:00.0: disabling interrupt at register 0x38200 bit 0 (0x1 -> 0x0)
[ 2684.691671] thunderbolt 0000:07:00.0: control channel stopped
[ 2684.691672] thunderbolt 0000:07:00.0: suspend finished
[ 2684.692031] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: System wakeup enabled by ACPI
[ 2684.704018] pcieport 0000:05:00.0: quirk: cutting power to thunderbolt controller...
[ 2685.007279] PM: noirq suspend of devices complete after 316.682 msecs
[ 2685.007770] ACPI: Preparing to enter system sleep state S3
[ 2685.060560] PM: Saving platform NVS memory
[ 2685.060564] Disabling non-boot CPUs ...
[ 2685.060617] intel_pstate CPU 1 exiting
[ 2685.061937] kvm: disabling virtualization on CPU1
[ 2685.062444] smpboot: CPU 1 is now offline
[ 2685.062878] intel_pstate CPU 2 exiting
[ 2685.064146] kvm: disabling virtualization on CPU2
[ 2685.064666] smpboot: CPU 2 is now offline
[ 2685.065033] intel_pstate CPU 3 exiting
[ 2685.066239] kvm: disabling virtualization on CPU3
[ 2685.066246] smpboot: CPU 3 is now offline
[ 2685.069164] ACPI: Low-level resume complete
[ 2685.069264] PM: Restoring platform NVS memory
[ 2685.069827] Enabling non-boot CPUs ...
[ 2685.069935] x86: Booting SMP configuration:
[ 2685.069938] smpboot: Booting Node 0 Processor 1 APIC 0x2
[ 2685.088052] kvm: enabling virtualization on CPU1
[ 2685.095634] CPU1 is up
[ 2685.095707] smpboot: Booting Node 0 Processor 2 APIC 0x1
[ 2685.108442] kvm: enabling virtualization on CPU2
[ 2685.111776] CPU2 is up
[ 2685.129365] smpboot: Booting Node 0 Processor 3 APIC 0x3
[ 2685.143721] kvm: enabling virtualization on CPU3
[ 2685.189974] CPU3 is up
[ 2685.196728] ACPI: Waking up from system sleep state S3
[ 2685.290605] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: System wakeup disabled by ACPI
[ 2685.291773] pcieport 0000:06:03.0: quirk: wating for thunderbolt to reestablish pci tunnels...
[ 2685.291779] pcieport 0000:06:06.0: quirk: wating for thunderbolt to reestablish pci tunnels...
[ 2685.291998] pcieport 0000:06:04.0: quirk: wating for thunderbolt to reestablish pci tunnels...
[ 2685.292007] pcieport 0000:06:05.0: quirk: wating for thunderbolt to reestablish pci tunnels...
[ 2685.308199] thunderbolt 0000:07:00.0: resuming...
[ 2685.308202] thunderbolt 0000:07:00.0: control channel starting...
[ 2685.308205] thunderbolt 0000:07:00.0: starting TX ring 0
[ 2685.308213] thunderbolt 0000:07:00.0: enabling interrupt at register 0x38200 bit 0 (0x0 -> 0x1)
[ 2685.308216] thunderbolt 0000:07:00.0: starting RX ring 0
[ 2685.308222] thunderbolt 0000:07:00.0: enabling interrupt at register 0x38200 bit 12 (0x1 -> 0x1001)
[ 2685.308228] thunderbolt 0000:07:00.0: resetting switch at 0
[ 2685.309501] thunderbolt 0000:07:00.0: 0: resuming switch
[ 2685.316418] thunderbolt 0000:07:00.0: resume finished
[ 2685.316569] PM: noirq resume of devices complete after 26.155 msecs
[ 2685.333659] PM: early resume of devices complete after 17.057 msecs
[ 2685.333959] wl_resume: PCI Resume handler
[ 2685.336794] pciehp 0000:06:03.0:pcie24: Timeout on hotplug command 0x1038 (issued 1212133 msec ago)
[ 2685.336805] pciehp 0000:06:04.0:pcie24: Timeout on hotplug command 0x1038 (issued 1212133 msec ago)
[ 2685.336830] pciehp 0000:06:05.0:pcie24: Timeout on hotplug command 0x1038 (issued 1212133 msec ago)
[ 2685.336850] pciehp 0000:06:06.0:pcie24: Timeout on hotplug command 0x1038 (issued 1212133 msec ago)
[ 2685.340149] rtc_cmos 00:02: System wakeup disabled by ACPI
[ 2685.346952] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Starting disk
[ 2685.409447] thunderbolt 0000:07:00.0: resetting error on 0:b.
[ 2685.409470] thunderbolt 0000:07:00.0: 0:b: hotplug: scanning
[ 2685.409472] thunderbolt 0000:07:00.0: 0:b: hotplug: no switch found
[ 2685.409523] thunderbolt 0000:07:00.0: resetting error on 0:c.
[ 2685.409565] thunderbolt 0000:07:00.0: 0:c: hotplug: scanning
[ 2685.409567] thunderbolt 0000:07:00.0: 0:c: hotplug: no switch found
[ 2685.498436] wl0: link down (wlp3s0)
[ 2685.498572] cfg80211: Calling CRDA to update world regulatory domain
[ 2685.666898] ata1: SATA link up 6.0 Gbps (SStatus 133 SControl 300)
[ 2685.667376] ata1.00: unexpected _GTF length (8)
[ 2685.668018] ata1.00: unexpected _GTF length (8)
[ 2685.668121] ata1.00: configured for UDMA/133
[ 2685.941790] mba6x_bl: Invalid response at reg: 0x1 (len: 24)
[ 2685.943179] PM: resume of devices complete after 609.444 msecs
[ 2685.943768] PM: Finishing wakeup.
[ 2685.943770] Restarting tasks ... done.
[ 2686.045752] mba6x_bl: set brightness retries = 1
[ 2690.318124] wl0: link up (wlp3s0)

Last edited by Pitmairen (2015-06-02 06:04:53)

Offline

#299 2015-06-05 07:42:17

frank604
Member
From: BC, Canada
Registered: 2011-04-20
Posts: 1,181

Re: Macbook Air 2013

hobarrera wrote:

I've been trying to use xf86-input-mtrack (and the git version), but it simply did not work, with no errors.

Has anyone else here tried using it?

I've tried during my initial install over a year ago.  mtrack was a no go for me as well.  You aren't alone in this.

jhohisel wrote:

With Kernel 3.18, thunderbolt hot-plug support was added. This was done by telling the ACPI that the OS is Darwin (OS X). Incidentally, a bug was introduced preventing the laptop from entering the lowest CPU state.
The fix is to add 'acpi_osi=' to GRUB kernel parameters, which also will mean that thunderbolt devices will have to be plugged in before booting.
Should bring back your 11-12 hr battery life.

Thank you brother from another distro.  I'll try this out as well.

Offline

#300 2015-06-05 08:13:08

hobarrera
Member
From: CABA, Argentina
Registered: 2011-04-12
Posts: 339
Website

Re: Macbook Air 2013

I did a bit more research on mtrack. Due to it being somewhat outdated, it can't use file descriptors passed by systemd, so it has to access the touchpad itself.

You can get this to work adding yourself to the input group (sudo groupadd -u $USER input) and relogging/rebooting.

I did however hit other roadblocks. The default palm detection, thumb detection, etc needs tweaking, and I haven't found time for it. I'll try to search my results if I get the time to polish those.


GPG Key | AUR packages | github

caffeine-ng: Temporarily disable screensaver/sleeping with a simple click.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB