stevepa

wiki page for grub - grub rescue with a LVM root filesystem

Reference wiki page https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GR … ue_console

The text

With a separate boot partition, again change the lines accordingly:

set root=(hd0,5)
linux /vmlinuz-linux root=/dev/sda6
initrd /initramfs-linux.img

Specifically above, the  'root=/dev/sda6' would not work for a LVM root filesystem, right? Wouldn't a 'root=UUID=<uuid>' be required?

If so, maybe an explanatory note would help people.

Just a thought.

Tks

Arch - LVM - ext4 - gnome (T60p 14.1 1400p  x86_64), (T60 15 flexview 1400p i686)

#2 2015-05-19 12:11:10

kynikos
Wiki Admin

Re: wiki page for grub - grub rescue with a LVM root filesystem

Hi, that's not specific to GRUB, let alone the rescue console: the instructions in that section should cover generic cases, and a note about LVM would be irrelevant.

Configuration of LVM is covered in its own article, and specifically you're looking for LVM#Kernel_options.

Also, please next time report wiki issues in a specific Talk page there, you can see Help:Discussion for guidelines smile

#3 2015-05-20 16:47:26

stevepa

kynikos wrote:

Hi, that's not specific to GRUB, let alone the rescue console: the instructions in that section should cover generic cases, and a note about LVM would be irrelevant.

Configuration of LVM is covered in its own article, and specifically you're looking for LVM#Kernel_options.

Also, please next time report wiki issues in a specific Talk page there, you can see Help:Discussion for guidelines smile

I was not asking for a rewrite, just suggesting a short note.

I appreciate the work you do in maintaining the wiki.
Steve.

Last edited by stevepa (2015-05-20 18:06:58)

Arch - LVM - ext4 - gnome (T60p 14.1 1400p  x86_64), (T60 15 flexview 1400p i686)

#4 2015-05-21 02:54:28

kynikos
Wiki Admin

stevepa wrote:

I was not asking for a rewrite, just suggesting a short note.

As I said, "a note about LVM would be irrelevant" there. There are also other cases of mapped devices, e.g. dm-crypt or RAID, but we can't show them all everywhere the kernel root= parameter is mentioned, right? We try to keep the wiki simple and avoid duplication of content as much as possible, but if you want to discuss this further, please start a discussion in Talk:GRUB, where more wiki users can read it and share their opinion.
About UUID and the like, it's all explained in Persistent_block_device_naming#Boot_managers.

stevepa wrote:

I appreciate the work you do in maintaining the wiki.

Thanks ^^  Your contributions are welcome too!

Board footer