You are not logged in.

#1 2006-03-26 15:15:22

Birdman

xorg7 upgrade - the aftermath

I did the upgrade to xorg7 yesterday and everything appeared to be going pretty well. Today I decided to set-up my wife of a user, part as the transition from Slackware. Here is a list of things that I am unsure as to whether or not they are connected but are certainly giving me trouble:

1. I do not get the nvidia splash screen and can only assume that therefore the nvidia drivers are not being used? I edited my old xorg.conf file to allow for the new font paths and mouse and keyboard as per the wiki. The nvidia package has been upgraded and the log file does not show any errors. Does "no nvidea splash = nvidia drivers not being used"?

2. kdm is not picking up two users ie. the last user to use it appears there as the only user next time around. I am used to seeing a list of users on the left to select from?

3. When returning to kdm, if the mouse is dragged to the right the screen scrolls horizontally?

4. Fonts are a general nightmare. Trying to set-up KDE for my wife I cannot get readable sized fonts in gtk apps. I tried loading the gtk module for KDE and the main effect fo that has been to wreck my xfce4 install. I have since removed the KDE module and deleted the ~./cache. This has brought xfce4 back to life but I know have now control of the fonts from the Toolbox -> interface in xfce4 and the KDE problem is still there to solved.

Is there a common theme here? This has taken place since the xorg upgrade so I guess there is a final tweak that needs doing to bed this down?

Thanks.

#2 2006-03-26 15:59:20

elasticdog
Website

Re: xorg7 upgrade - the aftermath

Birdman wrote:

1. I do not get the nvidia splash screen and can only assume that therefore the nvidia drivers are not being used? I edited my old xorg.conf file to allow for the new font paths and mouse and keyboard as per the wiki. The nvidia package has been upgraded and the log file does not show any errors. Does "no nvidea splash = nvidia drivers not being used"?

If you're not getting the splash screen, and you haven't defined <code>Option "NoLogo" "true"</code> in your xorg.conf file, then yes, I'd say the nvidia driver isn't loading.  Can you post your whole xorg.conf file?  To double-check, you can see if the <code>nvidia</code> module is loaded with:

lsmod | grep nvidia

The rest of the stuff I can't be too much help with, I don't use KDM/KDE...although, how long has it been since you've done a major upgrade?  I little while ago, there were some font changes made that disabled the use of bitmap fonts.  See this thread for details on that.  Also what font packages do you have installed?

#3 2006-03-26 20:02:46

Birdman

I can confirm that the nvidia module is loaded - so that answers that  smile

I have found a KDE login manager and had a play with that. However, I cannot make it work the way I want it  sad

I followed the fonts link and had some limited success. I am having to use konqueror in KDE because the fonts are so bad in firefox (I have to Control ++ several times to increase the size of the fonts to make them readable).

I cannot use xfce4 anymore  :cry:  the panel will not load. I have deleted ~/.cache several times and also reinstalled xfce4.

This is a real blow as I have been using Arch to nearly 3 months now and love it. Today was the day to move everything across from Slackware and make it my primary OS. However, I can't risk moving my wife's stuff at the moment, so the move has been delayed until I can work out what is happening.

#4 2006-03-26 22:11:17

elasticdog
Website

Well, so far I'm 0/1, but another thing to look at would be searching the forums for "<code>firefox font about:config</code>"...there are quite a few relevant-looking results, and I vaguely remember having to alter some Firefox specific settings to get fonts to work consistently.  Good luck matey!

#5 2006-03-27 08:15:02

Birdman

elasticdog wrote:

Well, so far I'm 0/1, but another thing to look at would be searching the forums for "<code>firefox font about:config</code>"...there are quite a few relevant-looking results, and I vaguely remember having to alter some Firefox specific settings to get fonts to work consistently.  Good luck matey!

Thanks for your tips. My biggest concern at the moment is that xfce4 doesn't work anymore  :shock:  As my install is a "test" environment and I don't hold any data there I am thinking of a reinstall. To be honest I don't like taking that option because I use linux to learn, and walking away from a problem doesn't teach me a lot. My excuse would be that I have a few days off work and wanted to have a solid Arch to move to.

I will tinker a bit further before I take the nuclear option  smile

#6 2006-03-28 12:49:34

mpie

A good way to cure fonts issues with nvidia is to specifc a dpi in your Xorg.conf

e.g Option "DPI" "95x95" under the nvidia card section

but dont specify above your monitors specification this will lead to mire issues and ensure you have the correcponding nearest set of fonts installed

#7 2006-03-28 18:12:00

Birdman

mpie wrote:

A good way to cure fonts issues with nvidia is to specifc a dpi in your Xorg.conf

but dont specify above your monitors specification this will lead to mire issues and ensure you have the correcponding nearest set of fonts installed

This is going to sound like a really dumb question - How do I know what my monitor specification is? I have a Philips 109S (a 19" CRT). I have a spec sheet and it doesn't mention DPI?

As I said at the top I am not sure how related all of these issues are post xorg update but xfce4 is now very poorly indeed. When I first login it attempts to load the panel (flashes up quickly and then disappears) but fails. Right clicking gets the menus on screen but anything related to xfce4 configuration does not respond. I have tried unistalling and reinstalling. Also tried deleting the ~/.cache. I am now getting very close to a fresh install unless there are anymore pearls out there  wink

#8 2006-03-28 18:16:15

Birdman

I followed the tips in another fonts thread and have solved the gtk in KDE problem  big_smile

If only I could get xfce4 back into a functional state  roll

#9 2006-03-28 18:57:02

mpie

Birdman wrote:
mpie wrote:

This is going to sound like a really dumb question - How do I know what my monitor specification is? I have a Philips 109S (a 19" CRT). I have a spec sheet and it doesn't mention DPI?

As I said at the top I am not sure how related all of these issues are post xorg update but xfce4 is now very poorly indeed. When I first login it attempts to load the panel (flashes up quickly and then disappears) but fails. Right clicking gets the menus on screen but anything related to xfce4 configuration does not respond. I have tried unistalling and reinstalling. Also tried deleting the ~/.cache. I am now getting very close to a fresh install unless there are anymore pearls out there  wink

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … idia+fonts

there's a link in this thread for a dpi calculator, the link to nvidia forums has some usefull info too

#10 2006-03-29 09:26:55

syntax
Website

I always remembered the splash screen by nvidia being showed by default so if you did not define any parameter for that, it should be shown so your drivers are properly not loaded well...

I have been experiencing some problems with xorg7 but just some minor issues.

your mouse mistery --> please notice that since xorg7 the "auto" parameter for your mouse isn't working anymore, you could try something like im/ps2 (something like that, dont remember it exactly)

my 2 cents...

-kupo-

#11 2006-03-29 16:40:20

Birdman

I have made good progress with this - learning on the way wink

Having gone through:

1. editing my old xorg.conf
2. running Xorg -configure (and then tweaking)
3. running hwd -x (and then tweaking)

I now have a stable X  smile 

I have followed links on fonts and they are now looking OK  smile

Areas still to solve:

Why won't kdm recognise multiple users?

Why is xfce4 broken beyond repair?

I have a few ideas to try out and I am not in the mood for giving up  smile

Board footer