You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-20 16:47:48

srivinprabhash
Website

How to uninstall manually installed application ?

Hi everyone ,

I'm new to Arch and no more xp.I have installed a application which was downloaded by SourceForge. It contained a bash script file to install it and i ran the script.Now I want to uninstall that application but no idea about how to do it.Please tell me how to do it.

Thanks !

Last edited by srivinprabhash (2015-05-20 16:48:56)

#2 2015-05-20 16:53:48

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Re: How to uninstall manually installed application ?

How are we supposed to know? You ran a random script from the Internet, it could have done anything. Read the script and see what it did. It may, if you're lucky, have an uninstall function. If you're really lucky, it might actually work without borking your system.

If you provide more information we might be able to help. A link to the script would be a good start.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#3 2015-05-20 16:57:56

Spider.007

Well, I guess you found the best reason not to do these kind of things. It takes some work to get rid of this; next time have a look in the official repos, or at least check the aur. If it doesn't exist, you can request it or create a PKGBUILD yourself

#4 2015-05-20 16:59:28

srivinprabhash
Website

WorMzy wrote:

How are we supposed to know? You ran a random script from the Internet, it could have done anything. Read the script and see what it did. It may, if you're lucky, have an uninstall function. If you're really lucky, it might actually work without borking your system.

If you provide more information we might be able to help. A link to the script would be a good start.

Here the link where I download the application : http://sourceforge.net/projects/ussdpad … =directory

#5 2015-05-20 17:05:32

alex.theoto

Search for any document like README or INSTALL and search if there is any uninstall option.

#6 2015-05-20 17:13:05

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

The tar says "Archlinux", but then goes on to include this "script", including world-readable files (the second comment line is a dead giveaway)

#ArchLinux
#Working best this installer with gnome-terminal
echo "USSDPAD V1 Installer For ArchLinux"
sudo pacman -S python2-pyqt4 python2 xdg-utils gksu perl
mkdir ~/.ussdpad
tar -xzvf ussdpad.tar.gz -C ~/.ussdpad
sudo chmod 777 ~/.ussdpad/*
sudo cp -a ussdpad /usr/bin
sudo chmod 777 /usr/bin/ussdpad
cp -a %gconf.xml ~/.config/gconf/apps/gksu
sudo cp -a ussdpad.desktop /usr/share/applications
sudo cp -a ussdpad.png /usr/share/icons
cd dip/gsm-ussd/
echo " "
echo " Installing based programme"
make all
sudo make install install-doc
echo " "
echo " "
echo "    =================================="
echo "    Install Compleet USSDPAD V1       "
echo "    =================================="

<epicfacepalm.jpg>

Last edited by Alad (2015-05-20 17:13:49)

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#7 2015-05-20 17:14:31

Spider.007

Looking at the install.sh; this should be a start, but I don't know what `make install` dumps on your fs:

rm -Rv ~/.ussdpad /usr/bin/ussdpad /usr/share/applications/ussdpad.desktop /usr/share/icons/ussdpad.png

You could also have a look at https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=45939

Last edited by Spider.007 (2015-05-20 17:17:51)

#8 2015-05-20 17:14:58

srivinprabhash
Website

Ok .. I removed it.Thanks for everyone for your assistance and advices also.

#9 2015-05-20 17:18:31

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

You ran the "install.sh" provided from that site?  How many dozen errors did it throw?  It's got several debian-specific commands (apt-get, dpkg).  That would completely fail.

But it would leave behind a bunch of crap for you to remove.  It seems the following would be in order:

rm -rf ~/.ussdpad
rm /usr/bin/ussdpad
rm ~/.config/gconf/apps/gksu/%gconf.xml
rm /usr/share/applications/ussdpad.desktop
rm /usr/share/icons/ussdpad.png

Type that first one very carefully - check it thrice beforing hitting enter.

Then avoid this junk like the plague.  Such a clumsy install script doesn't bode well for the competance of the person who wrote this binary you would want to run - unless of course it was written and "packaged" by different people.

EDIT: Spider beat me to it.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#10 2015-05-20 18:56:37

Durden

Never run something like this off a site unless you understand how it works and what it's doing. That includes commands given to you by the posters and moderator above. While their advice is sound and accurate, you need to know what it is they've advised you to do before you do it.

#11 2015-05-21 16:36:57

srivinprabhash
Website

Thanks everyone .. Specially Trilby .. smile .. I have learned a lesson from this mistake.

#12 2015-05-21 20:32:29

thiagowfx

It looks like someone has created a package for this: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ussdpad/

#13 2015-05-22 16:06:40

srivinprabhash
Website

thiagowfx wrote:

It looks like someone has created a package for this: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ussdpad/

See that package's Upstream URL.The same as where I got this. Seems like they have added this to AUR recently.

#14 2015-05-24 05:02:00

eduncan911
Website

Edit your first post's Subject to be prefixed by [SOLVED].  I read through the whole thing, and realized it was fixed already.

Btw, I'm a newb as well. 

So two lessons here.  I just wanted to emphasis what I do in these circumstances.

Trilby wrote:

You ran the "install.sh" provided from that site?  How many dozen errors did it throw?  It's got several debian-specific commands (apt-get, dpkg).  That would completely fail.

(...snip...)

+1 this. Before I run "any" script, I always open the script and inspect it.  99 out of 100 times, it is Debian-specific (aptitude's "apt-get" is a dead giveaway).  In these cases, you are on your own to install it manually by reading each line in the script and executing it.  Welcome to Arch (the same if you were installing on CentOS as well, since it was written for Debian).

Unless.....

thiagowfx wrote:

...someone has already made an Arch package for it, like above.  Then follow the AUR steps to install it.

Personally, I've started to lean onto the AUR process over manual installs.  If it hasn't been "ported" to Arch via AUR, I've started to remove them from my toolbelt.  Lightening the load, I guess you could say.

Until you get a lot more familiar that is.

Last edited by eduncan911 (2015-05-24 05:02:45)

#15 2015-05-24 10:52:33

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

eduncan911 wrote:

If it hasn't been "ported" to Arch via AUR, I've started to remove them from my toolbelt.  Lightening the load, I guess you could say.

You could just write a PKGBUILD for the "tool" so you can add it under the aegis of pacman (and maybe upload the PKGBUILD to the AUR for the benefit of others).
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Creating_packages

#16 2015-05-24 15:37:33

thiagowfx

eduncan911 wrote:

Personally, I've started to lean onto the AUR process over manual installs.  If it hasn't been "ported" to Arch via AUR, I've started to remove them from my toolbelt.  Lightening the load, I guess you could say.

If it hasn't been ported, then...ask us to do so, or (even better!) try to create one yourself.

Board footer