You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-24 15:10:14

AcousticBruce

[SOLVED] Execute game, nothing happens graphically

I installed this game called ToME4 and when I click the icon nothing happes. I am very insterested in debugging and 'hints' make me happier then flat out answers smile So here is what I have done so far and what I noticed.

I did notice that it was trying to load nouveau and I have only, purposely, installed the nvideo 340xx drivers. I did not install nouveau - that I know of.

[    47.071] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module nouveau
[    47.071] (EE) Failed to load module "nouveau" (module does not exist, 0)

ran in terminal and this is the output.

//
Loading WebCore: Failed loading /opt/tome4/libte4-web.so: /opt/tome4/libte4-web.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
//
Available video driver: dummy
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
NO SELFEXE: bootstrapping from CWD
//
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
error opening screen: GLX is not supported
AL lib: (EE) alc_cleanup: 1 device not closed

Output of Xorg.0.log with egrep.

$ egrep "(EE|WW)" -a log 

[    46.417] Current Operating System: Linux archhost 4.0.4-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon May 18 06:43:19 CEST 2015 x86_64
	(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
[    46.477] (WW) `fonts.dir' not found (or not valid) in "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/".
[    46.477] (WW) `fonts.dir' not found (or not valid) in "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/".
[    46.483] (WW) Open ACPI failed (/var/run/acpid.socket) (No such file or directory)
[    47.071] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module nouveau
[    47.071] (EE) Failed to load module "nouveau" (module does not exist, 0)
[    47.071] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module nv
[    47.071] (EE) Failed to load module "nv" (module does not exist, 0)
[    47.077] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module fbdev
[    47.077] (EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)
[    47.077] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module vesa
[    47.077] (EE) Failed to load module "vesa" (module does not exist, 0)
[    47.077] (WW) VGA arbiter: cannot open kernel arbiter, no multi-card support
[    47.924] (EE) modeset(0): eglInitialize() failed
[    47.924] (EE) modeset(0): glamor initialization failed
[    48.299] (EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (Compatible NVIDIA X driver not found)

Last edited by AcousticBruce (2015-05-27 14:05:42)

#2 2015-05-24 16:00:18

berbae

Re: [SOLVED] Execute game, nothing happens graphically

How did you install this game? Did you use pacman?
'/opt' doesn't seem to be the right place to install shared libraries.
What graphical environment do you use?

48.299] (EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (Compatible NVIDIA X driver not found)

Did you install the nvidia-340xx-libgl package which provides the nvidia glx module?

#3 2015-05-24 16:44:31

AcousticBruce

i used makepkg and pacman -U (I try to do everything as manual as I can for learning purposes). When I installed xorg packages I had to select a dependency and I selected the nvidia-340xx as you mentioned.

Is there a way to do a video card current installed driver query to my system?

I also just tried nvidia-xconfig and this is supposed to be a normal auto-config for nvidea drivers I believe.

$ nvidia-xconfig

Using X configuration file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf".

WARNING: Unable to parse X.Org version string.

ERROR: Unable to write to directory '/etc/X11'.

The thing is. I really want to pull up a list of installed drivers. I am confused because I know for a fact that I installed nvidea-340xx drivers at the beginning of building my system.

#4 2015-05-24 16:56:42

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

AcousticBruce wrote:

lspci -k|grep -iA2 vga

See lspci(8)

Also, the `nvidia-xconfig` command needs to be run with root privileges.

EDIT: To install AUR packages, this removes the need to `pacman -U` and installs any (non-AUR) dependencies automatically:

makepkg -ics

See makepkg(8)

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2015-05-24 16:58:44)

#5 2015-05-24 17:04:52

MrEvilBreakfast

I'd also like to see the output of Head_on_a_stick's lspci command. It could be that your hardware isn't fully supported with the nvidia-340xx driver and the game is trying to fallback to nouveau, which is blacklisted by the nvidia driver. You may need to run nvidia-304xx.

#6 2015-05-24 17:10:50

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

MrEvilBreakfast wrote:

It could be that your hardware isn't fully supported with the nvidia-340xx driver and the game is trying to fallback to nouveau, which is blacklisted by the nvidia driver. You may need to run nvidia-304xx.

To determine that, you'll probably also want the vendor & product IDs:

# update-pciids
lspci -knn|grep -iA2 vga

#7 2015-05-24 19:20:09

AcousticBruce

Something very interesting happened. I shut down my laptop and started it back up hours later. After I logged in, I ran startx and it gave me a fatal error! I was able to work from the command promptand figured out for some reason I had no graphics drivers!!! I am REALLY curious to what and how this has happened. So I thought, what the heck, why not just reinstall nvidia-340xx drivers. So I did. Then rebooted

-rant: It made me so happy that even though this failed, I was still able to abort and return to the shell. I mean, in windows if this happned.. I would be screwed, but Linux allowed me to work on my system. I love this system more and more, the more I learn.
-end rant:

Here is what happened: I saw a NVidea logo for the FIRST TIME. It started up fine. I tried the game and it also started up no problem. I notice I get tears when scrolling fast down web pages now. This is all interesting because when I installed xfce4 a dependency is some kind of graphics driver. And I always picked nvidea-340xx. Always! I have never seen the logo and I have never gotten tears when displaying scrolling web page graphics. I am telling you all this so we can troubleshot what is going on.

My Hypothesis: Because I have installed the 340xx dependency before and never saw the NVidia logo or had tearing during website scrolling like I do now, I am assuming that the nvidia-340xx dependency during the XFCE4 installation is NOT the same as intalling nvidia-340xx on its own like I did before I just booted up. 

Another thing to note: I was able to run the game Battle of Wesnoth even though the other game claimed I had driver problems. Not sure if this helps.

I went ahead and pulled from the Xorg.0.log file.That may give a clue as to what had happend.

$ cat Xorg.0.log | grep -E "(EE|WW)"
[   142.630] Current Operating System: Linux archhost 4.0.4-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon May 18 06:43:19 CEST 2015 x86_64
	(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
[   142.638] (WW) `fonts.dir' not found (or not valid) in "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/".
[   142.638] (WW) `fonts.dir' not found (or not valid) in "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/".
[   142.638] (WW) Hotplugging is on, devices using drivers 'kbd', 'mouse' or 'vmmouse' will be disabled.
[   142.638] (WW) Disabling Keyboard0
[   142.638] (WW) Disabling Mouse0
[   142.644] (WW) Open ACPI failed (/var/run/acpid.socket) (No such file or directory)
[   142.658] (WW) Unresolved symbol: fbGetGCPrivateKey
[   142.661] (EE) NVIDIA: Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module. Please see the
[   142.661] (EE) NVIDIA:     system's kernel log for additional error messages and
[   142.661] (EE) NVIDIA:     consult the NVIDIA README for details.
[   142.661] (EE) No devices detected.
[   142.661] (EE) 
[   142.661] (EE) no screens found(EE) 
[   142.661] (EE) 
[   142.661] (EE) Please also check the log file at "/home/codeamend/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.
[   142.661] (EE) 
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
AcousticBruce wrote:

lspci -k|grep -iA2 vga

See lspci(8)

Also, the `nvidia-xconfig` command needs to be run with root privileges.

EDIT: To install AUR packages, this removes the need to `pacman -U` and installs any (non-AUR) dependencies automatically:

makepkg -ics

I was NOT able to run nvidia-xconfig with or without root privileges before I just had this crazy fatal error and reinstalled (or so I thought) nvidia-340xx.
Thank you for the makepkg -ics idea. I will use that evenetually. I have been interested in package management and trying to learn what EVERY file is that I install, so the manual slow way is good right now.

I chose 4 because I wanted to see what was under the kernel driver info. Looks like it is loading nouveau as well as nvidia. Is this normal?

$ lspci -k | grep -iA 4 VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GT218M [NVS 3100M] (rev a2)
	Subsystem: Dell Device 040a
	Kernel driver in use: nvidia
	Kernel modules: nouveau, nvidia
01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
MrEvilBreakfast wrote:

I'd also like to see the output of Head_on_a_stick's lspci command. It could be that your hardware isn't fully supported with the nvidia-340xx driver and the game is trying to fallback to nouveau, which is blacklisted by the nvidia driver. You may need to run nvidia-304xx.

The thing that sucks is I just changed everything because of an error and now the output will be different than before. I think I am going to build another system and reproduce the previous driver situation. Stay tuned..

Board footer